Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I just wanted to ask a quick question with regard to new academic advisers. When you go into third year (which I'm going in to), does your academic adviser usually change? The reason I ask this is because last year, my adviser didn't change, even though I changed to a completely different subject (from Neuroscience to Molecular and Cellular Biology with Plant Science), so was wondering whether or not I will get a new one. My current adviser is really, really nice and provides great emotional support, but has no clue about the Molecular and Cellular Biology degree (only the Human Biology degrees), so it is impossible to ask academic advice from her. Thanks!*

ReputationRep:
    Even if your advisor doesn't automatically change, I would request a change as you really want your academic advisor to be able to give you advice on relevant academic topics. You can still stay in touch with your current advisor and email them to arrange a meeting, or just to chat if it's an issue that isn't strictly academic.

However, in terms of academic advisor, I would recommend having a relevant one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IsaacJordan)
    Even if your advisor doesn't automatically change, I would request a change as you really want your academic advisor to be able to give you advice on relevant academic topics. You can still stay in touch with your current advisor and email them to arrange a meeting, or just to chat if it's an issue that isn't strictly academic.

However, in terms of academic advisor, I would recommend having a relevant one.
    Thanks!! *
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by amacleod)
    Hello, I just wanted to ask a quick question with regard to new academic advisers. When you go into third year (which I'm going in to), does your academic adviser usually change?
    Hey!

Whether your adviser will change depends on different factors. As IsaacJordan pointed out, it's good to request a new academic adviser (talk to your department directly about this) so you can have someone to advise you with relevance to your academic/career paths.

Your current adviser will most likely be happy to advise on other issues, especially if you already have a good relationship with them. You can never have too much advice!

Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.