Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am wondering if someone is able to help me with a few questions I have regarding the UKCAT. I have recently booked my test for the end of September and would like to ask those who have perhaps already sat the exam to give me a few tips. Firstly I would like to know how much time is necessary in order to prepare for the test. Also, I think the most difficult part (by the sounds of things) seems to be the quantative reasoning part of the exam. What is the best way in order to prepare for this part of the test? My mental maths isn't great and I would appreciate ways in which to improve it. Thanks for taking the time to read some of my questions and I would greatly appreciate if someone would be willing to help me out.
    Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    I remember I was the most worried about quantitative reasoning as the questions in the 600Q UKCAT book were tricky at times and I couldn't finish them in 30 seconds or whatever. In the actual test though I found quantitative reasoning by far the easiest. Maybe it was just on my day, but the questions really were year9/GCSE level and using the key board instead of clicking the numbers on the computer saves you a lot of time. In the exam don't be afraid to roughly write things down and calculate using your whiteboard, a few extra seconds spent doing this will be worth it if you get a higher mark. I would say you need about 3 weeks preparation. If you really wanna be keen you can start reading up on techniques and practicing verbal reasoning from now.
    Get medify about a week and a half before your test and just smash out the practice questions every single day. Do spaced out revision so not a block of 4 hours but instead do 1 hour Or half an hour of questions then have like a couple of hours break then do it again. Just practice practice questions.
    For abstract reasoning have a system to use: eg look for shapes first, number, positioning or whatever else. Look this up online or in the 600 UKCAT question which says this in more detail.
    The Kaplan UKCAT book is also really good, especially for situational judgement and abstract reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for getting back to me. That has all been so helpful. I am really worried about it but hopefully it will be ok. Which part of the test did you find the most challenging? Did you have anything that you wish you studied after finding out what the exam was like?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Claire1066)
    Hi,
    I am wondering if someone is able to help me with a few questions I have regarding the UKCAT. I have recently booked my test for the end of September and would like to ask those who have perhaps already sat the exam to give me a few tips. Firstly I would like to know how much time is necessary in order to prepare for the test. Also, I think the most difficult part (by the sounds of things) seems to be the quantative reasoning part of the exam. What is the best way in order to prepare for this part of the test? My mental maths isn't great and I would appreciate ways in which to improve it. Thanks for taking the time to read some of my questions and I would greatly appreciate if someone would be willing to help me out.
    Thanks a lot
    Hello there, I took the UKCAT 2 years ago now but having helped people out I am up to date with everything going on UKCAT wise this year.

For preparation everyone is different, it is important not to do to little, but also not to do to much. I recommend doing between 1-1.5 hours per day in the 3 weeks leading up to the UKCAT. this gives you between 21 and 31.5 hours of prep which is usually enough, but do more if you feel you are lacking, remember the UKCAT is all about practice practice practice so if you feel you need more then go for it!
    In terms of what to practice with, I have been hearing that the usual staple 1000Q book is proving much more complex than the exam, so unless you already have the book it might be wise to use that only as a starter. I would personally get 3 weeks of medify (also try emedica as that was brill for me) which is an online paid resource, this is the closest thing to the UKCAT in my opinion and its great because it gives you chance to practice an online format with the online calculator. Also dont neglect the official UKCAT mocks.

For prep just practice practice practice. QR is the only section in my opinion which requires some external revision other than practice. I would go back over some basic mental maths as well as conversions and percentage calculations and graph work (interpreting graphs) as it really helped me (I got 900 on QR in the real thing and i personally put it down to this). then just keep practising.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Hello there, I took the UKCAT 2 years ago now but having helped people out I am up to date with everything going on UKCAT wise this year.

For preparation everyone is different, it is important not to do to little, but also not to do to much. I recommend doing between 1-1.5 hours per day in the 3 weeks leading up to the UKCAT. this gives you between 21 and 31.5 hours of prep which is usually enough, but do more if you feel you are lacking, remember the UKCAT is all about practice practice practice so if you feel you need more then go for it!
    In terms of what to practice with, I have been hearing that the usual staple 1000Q book is proving much more complex than the exam, so unless you already have the book it might be wise to use that only as a starter. I would personally get 3 weeks of medify (also try emedica as that was brill for me) which is an online paid resource, this is the closest thing to the UKCAT in my opinion and its great because it gives you chance to practice an online format with the online calculator. Also dont neglect the official UKCAT mocks.

For prep just practice practice practice. QR is the only section in my opinion which requires some external revision other than practice. I would go back over some basic mental maths as well as conversions and percentage calculations and graph work (interpreting graphs) as it really helped me (I got 900 on QR in the real thing and i personally put it down to this). then just keep practising.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much this has been very helpful

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a good 'checklist' for the abstract reasoning section? Thanks a lot!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.