Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there fellow Brightonians just received my offer for accommodation, and glad as I am I got a place, it isn't exactly what want. So I thought I'd make this thread for those in similar situations, so we can find people to swap offers with and perhaps end up in our dream accommodations! :woo: I've been in contact with the accommodation elves at Brighton; and they've said this is doable and facilitated by the uni. Basic process is: accept offer, move into place, wait two weeks, pay £25 to uni, swap places with other student (this can be any campus e.g: phoenix to moulsecoomb) Full Info in the spoiler tag.

To start off:

En Suite: Yes
    Catered: Yes
    Contract length: 39 Weeks
    Total rent: £6,396
    Would Swap for: Same location (paddock field) but self-catered, or potentially anything else that is cheaper and self-catered hehe... Anybody? :angelwings:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thank you for your email. If you are not happy with your room allocation it is possible that you could move to another room in halls, but only if there is another student who wishes to exchange with you. Please note, however, that we will not consider any requests for room swaps until two weeks after term starts, so you would have to accept this offer and wait until then to swap. When you find someone to swap rooms with, you will both need to come to the Accommodation Office so that you can sign new agreements and will each be charged a £25 transfer fee to cover administration costs. You will be able to swap between different halls of residence. I hope this helps. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirKyrgystan)
    Hi there fellow Brightonians just received my offer for accommodation, and glad as I am I got a place, it isn't exactly what want. So I thought I'd make this thread for those in similar situations, so we can find people to swap offers with and perhaps end up in our dream accommodations! :woo: I've been in contact with the accommodation elves at Brighton; and they've said this is doable and facilitated by the uni. Basic process is: accept offer, move into place, wait two weeks, pay £25 to uni, swap places with other student (this can be any campus e.g: phoenix to moulsecoomb) Full Info in the spoiler tag.

To start off:

Catered: Yes
    Contract length: 39 Weeks
    Total rent: £6,396
    Would Swap for: Same location (paddock field) but self-catered, or potentially anything else that is cheaper and self-catered hehe... Anybody? :angelwings:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thank you for your email. If you are not happy with your room allocation it is possible that you could move to another room in halls, but only if there is another student who wishes to exchange with you. Please note, however, that we will not consider any requests for room swaps until two weeks after term starts, so you would have to accept this offer and wait until then to swap. When you find someone to swap rooms with, you will both need to come to the Accommodation Office so that you can sign new agreements and will each be charged a £25 transfer fee to cover administration costs. You will be able to swap between different halls of residence. I hope this helps. Any other questions, feel free to ask.
    Are you in flat 5A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grvinayak)
    Are you in flat 5A?
    Hey there neighbor, nah I'm in flat 13. If I may ask, where do you find the A/B/C designation? in my offer on the website, and in the email they've sent me, the address just says 'flat 13'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirKyrgystan)
    Hey there neighbor, nah I'm in flat 13. If I may ask, where do you find the A/B/C designation? in my offer on the website, and in the email they've sent me, the address just says 'flat 13'
    hey the address is given on the pdf file attached to the email with the accommodation offer.
    I also states your room number in the flat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grvinayak)
    hey the address is given on the pdf file attached to the email with the accommodation offer.
    I also states your room number in the flat
    Thanks for that I guess flat 13 doesn't have an a/b/c then :beard: my pdf just goes room number, flat 13, paddock field halls of residence, UoB, village way etc etc

ReputationRep:
    Hi I also received my accommodation as well but unfortunately I was put into Great Wilkins because they had no more rooms available in paddock field. My room is self-catered and has an en-suite but it is a 50-week tenancy. I do understand that it is more expensive as it is a longer tenancy but if anyone was planning on staying in Brighton over the summer holidays of 2017 to work or etc. this could be advatageous.

Catered: No
    Contract length: 50 Weeks
    Total rent: £7,050
    Would Swap for: Paddock Field or Anything else that has en-suite and is self-catered.

Good luck to those who wish to swap hopefully i'll find someone who wants to house in great-wilkins!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emslya)
    Hi I also received my accommodation as well but unfortunately I was put into Great Wilkins because they had no more rooms available in paddock field. My room is self-catered and has an en-suite but it is a 50-week tenancy. I do understand that it is more expensive as it is a longer tenancy but if anyone was planning on staying in Brighton over the summer holidays of 2017 to work or etc. this could be advatageous.

Catered: No
    Contract length: 50 Weeks
    Total rent: £7,050
    Would Swap for: Paddock Field or Anything else that has en-suite and is self-catered.

Good luck to those who wish to swap hopefully i'll find someone who wants to house in great-wilkins!
    Ah great wilkins (apparently) has the most social and communal atmosphere, which is a big plus imo and a 50 week contract could be great for international students that can't easily get back home at the end of the year. Good luck for finding a fellow swap-mate! Just wish this thread were more vibrant, there's gotta be more than 2 people who have less-than-ideal accommodation haha Suppose it could well liven up after results day when most people hear back from accom

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.