Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need urgent help.

I have a £12 a month sim card contract with Virgin Mobile.
    I got a call from Virgin Mobile asking me what phone I have? I told them I have a Moto G which Ive had for nearly 3 years.

They told me they can offer me £15 a month contract which includes a Samsung Galaxy J3 and 1000 minutes and 1GB data.

In my email, they told me this:

"Legal Stuff

Your total amount of credit and monthly payments.

The total amount of credit is £168.00 and you must make 23 equal instalments of £7.00 at monthly intervals and a final instalment of £7.00. The first instalment will be payable on a date set by us. Going forward, the instalment date may be changed as agreed between you and us.

This credit agreement is 0% APR, so it doesn’t cost you any extra to spread your payments in this way "

I have 48 hours to accept this contract otherwise it could get cancelled.

Are Samsung Galaxy J3s good phones? Or can I get a better phone and a better contract from somewhere else?

Please provide me with your advice, and I will appreciate it (Reps).

ReputationRep:
    I like the Samsung Galaxy J3 but I would be a little happier if it had a better camera.

Has anyone got any alternative, or better suggestions of a phone which is better with a similar monthly cost?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Monthly costs are defined by 2 things. The package you're getting and the phone value itself. There won't be an alternative phone at a similar cost because it isn't simply the phone you want to take into consideration.

£15 a month is pretty cheap and for that price you won't get an exceptional phone. Any alternatives will have similar specs but actual prices will vary between carriers. For example I found a package from EE that's also £15 a month for the J3. It gets you double the data but half the minutes. That would be better for me but maybe not for you.

Ultimately I wouldn't rush it. Do some research and see whats good. It doesn't look like their J3 for £15 a month deal is actually anything special. It's a generic deal you can pick up in stores any time. So don't rush it. Shop around and find what you want for whatever price you're after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Monthly costs are defined by 2 things. The package you're getting and the phone value itself. There won't be an alternative phone at a similar cost because it isn't simply the phone you want to take into consideration.

£15 a month is pretty cheap and for that price you won't get an exceptional phone. Any alternatives will have similar specs but actual prices will vary between carriers. For example I found a package from EE that's also £15 a month for the J3. It gets you double the data but half the minutes. That would be better for me but maybe not for you.

Ultimately I wouldn't rush it. Do some research and see whats good. It doesn't look like their J3 for £15 a month deal is actually anything special. It's a generic deal you can pick up in stores any time. So don't rush it. Shop around and find what you want for whatever price you're after.
    Im interested in a Moto G (3rd Gen) which is being offered at CarphoneWarehouse and MobilePhonesDirect.
    The deals are different from both shops. Some offer cashback and some dont.

Im kind of thinking to go with Carphonewarehouse which is a popular company.

My budget is up to £15.50 a month which should include at least 300 minutes or more, and 1 GB data or more.

Can you please find out which would be the better offer? Here are the links:

Moto G 3rd generation offered at CarPhoneWarehouse:
    https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mo...el/MOTG4GV3BLA

Moto G 3rd Generation offered at MobilephonesDirect:
    https://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk...-monthly-deals
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    Im interested in a Moto G (3rd Gen) which is being offered at CarphoneWarehouse and MobilePhonesDirect.
    The deals are different from both shops. Some offer cashback and some dont.

Im kind of thinking to go with Carphonewarehouse which is a popular company.

My budget is up to £15.50 a month which should include at least 300 minutes or more, and 1 GB data or more.

Can you please find out which would be the better offer? Here are the links:

Moto G 3rd generation offered at CarPhoneWarehouse:
    https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mo...el/MOTG4GV3BLA

Moto G 3rd Generation offered at MobilephonesDirect:
    https://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk...-monthly-deals
    I've never personally dealt with either company but they both appear
    to simply be comparison sites. It looks like you'd have a contract with them on behalf of another major company, like Vodaphone or EE. In both cases the cheapest deals (£15.50 and £7 per month) are with companies I've never even heard of (iD and talkmobile) so I can't honestly say if I'd recommend them at all.

It appears you'd buy the phone from either of these companies and have a SIM only contract with whichever sites you set up with. Which kind of suggests you could just buy the phone outright (eBay, Amazon, etc.) and shop around for the cheapest SIM only deal you can find. Besides that pretty much any of the deals offered on either site would be fine for you. Mobile phones direct seem to offer slightly cheaper deals though.

Sorry I can't be of more use but I've never used any of these services so I can't really recommend one over another. One might be cheaper but offer a poorer service. Without trying them myself I can't honestly say which is best

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.