Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For almost two years now I've been struggling hideously to cope with even the smallest amount of noise, I just cannot concentrate whatsoever and it starts to really get to me and cause me to break down every few days. My parents are no help whatsoever, they tell me to just ignore it and think I'm being ridiculous.

Stuff like earplugs don't massively help, I still get a small amount of noise going through and that still gets to me, and I obviously can't wear them all the time, although oddly this stress doesn't occur when I'm in public, only when I'm at home, and I can't help but feel I've bought this on myself by making such a big deal out of small noises that there's no way out now.

Does anyone have any advice? I feel like this is so ingrain into my brain now that there's just no way to get it out.

ReputationRep:
    Practical: noise-cancelling headphones.

Medical: go to the doctors, see if there's anything wrong with your ears.

Mental: counselling, to find the root of the problem.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I have this. And quite frankly, the doctors were useless. I was told I have Hyperacusis. (my hearing is too sensitive) I was told I just need to wear earplugs.

I now have additional hearing problems.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I have hyperacusis too, the best thing for me oddly is to put music or something on that I know- i still struggle with it but then there's only that to hear rather than people talking, wandering rounf the house, noise outside etc. Obviously doesn't work when I actually need to speak to someone though as my hearing's not great and I can't distinguish different sounds very well from each other anyway

I'm convinced the problem is just mental, as only certain kinds of noises get to me, but I really can't go for therapy atm, my parents think i'm being ridiculous so just won't pay for it and I can't afford it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm convinced the problem is just mental, as only certain kinds of noises get to me, but I really can't go for therapy atm, my parents think i'm being ridiculous so just won't pay for it and I can't afford it.
    The answer's pretty much the same tbh- go see your GP and they should be able to give you some advice. Music may well still help whatever the cause, but if your GP thinks therapy could help they can refer you for it on the NHS and/or to ENT if they think it may have a mechanical reason (for want of a better word). Worth a go anyway before it gets any worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who has a similar issue and I think she got it diagnosed as misophonia? She really doesn't like when people make certain noises such as sniffing or chewing gum as it agitates her a lot and so she wears earplugs everyday at school to try and help. I know she's had this for quite a while and it is manageable but I definitely think it would be worth going to your GP about this and see what words of wisdom they can offer too. As for managing the stress, whenever you start to feel overwhelmed maybe try to focus on your breathing, counting to 7 breathing in and 11 when breathing out and repeat it; I've found that works well. I hope this helped!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.