The Student Room Group

British schoolgirl who ran away to Syria with her two friends dies in airstrike.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elmosandy
It's on Dailymotion :smile: you can get it on there I still watch it sometimes :smile:

hmmmm kinda

Thanks! :h:
TL;DR If you go to a warzone, your life expectancy drops considerably.

News at 11.
Original post by Robby2312
So you'd cry for hitler or stalin or chairman mao would you? Thats a really flawed sense of morality you've got there.

Are you for capital punishment? Just curious.
Original post by champ_mc99
Are you for capital punishment? Just curious.

No because I dont think we should give the state that kind of power.Goverments have shown themselves to be incompetent in the past and they'd probably get it wrong.But thats a different topic,this wasnt an execution she died in a war.If anything it was suicide.
So you'd cry for hitler or stalin or chairman mao would you? Thats a really flawed sense of morality you've got there.

I hardly think a misled child is on the same level as a dictator like Hitler.
No because I dont think we should give the state that kind of power.Goverments have shown themselves to be incompetent in the past and they'd probably get it wrong.But thats a different topic,this wasnt an execution she died in a war.If anything it was suicide.

But surely a serial killer deserves death more than a 16 year old who joined a terror group to be sexually abused? Funny enough, the former would have caused much more "terror".

I wouldn't call it suicide since she was a bit dim about the risks.

EDIT: She joined when she was 15 I think.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JohnGreek
So?

Maybe she could've gone on to study Medicine and cured Cancer idk... Point is she seemed bright so it feels like a waste of talent. Plus she missed out on life in general. Kids are generally easy to trick I guess.
But surely a serial killer deserves death more than a 16 year old who joined a terror group to be sexually abused? Funny enough, the former would have caused much more "terror".

I wouldn't call it suicide since she was a bit dim about the risks.

EDIT: She joined when she was 15 I think.

Obviously the serial killer deserves death more.But 15/16 is more than old enough to know the risks especially as the media has been filled with news about them. This 16 year old joined a group which has committed genocide.Nobody made her go to syria so that kind of indicated she wanted to join in with their activities.You make it sound like she was a victim in all of this but you dont just accidentally stumble into isis.You're actually making 16 year olds sound really stupid but how many of them join a terror group? They deserve a lot more credit than that.
Why does the news paint it as sad when a female ISIS member dies? She must have been an incredibly horrible person. I really couldn't care less.
Original post by Platopus
I hardly think a misled child is on the same level as a dictator like Hitler.

You said anyone.And this misled child could very easily have been a murderer herself.
Obviously the serial killer deserves death more.But 15/16 is more than old enough to know the risks especially as the media has been filled with news about them. This 16 year old joined a group which has committed genocide.Nobody made her go to syria so that kind of indicated she wanted to join in with their activities.You make it sound like she was a victim in all of this but you dont just accidentally stumble into isis.You're actually making 16 year olds sound really stupid but how many of them join a terror group? They deserve a lot more credit than that.

Well she must have regretted it later on since she wanted to return. I'm guessing it wasn't all bunnies and rainbows like she expected.

Agree to disagree tbh. I just find celebrating a 16 year old's death and being against capital punishment being mutually exclusive.
You said anyone.And this misled child could very easily have been a murderer herself.

I still don't think that the actual death of anyone, Hitler included, should be celebrated. We can celebrate what followed on from Hitler's death - the fact that he killed no more innocents. But, the same consequences could have been achieved by other means. For example, imprisoning him for life. As such, no I would not celebrate Hitler's death.
Original post by Tempest II
Out of curiosity, would you feel sympathy for a French woman who married a murdering SS stormtrooper during the Second World War only to then be killed in an Allied air attack?

It's far worse than that. It's the equivalent of a young woman in 1943 watching Nazi propaganda videos showing the gassing, torture and mass murder of Jews and deciding 'oh yeah, I want some of that' and rushing off to occupied Poland to shack up with one of the SS murderers responsible and to play a role in the atrocities. I wonder if anyone would have expressed sympathy with that young woman if she'd been killed in an Allied airstrike or if anyone would have said 'oh well, she just got radicalised by Nazism, it's obviously partly our fault for letting this happen', but I doubt it. It only ever seems to be Muslims who cannot be held fully responsible for what they do.
But surely a serial killer deserves death more than a 16 year old who joined a terror group to be sexually abused?

I don't think that was why she joined
Original post by Achaea
It's far worse than that. It's the equivalent of a young woman in 1943 watching Nazi propaganda videos showing the gassing, torture and mass murder of Jews and deciding 'oh yeah, I want some of that' and rushing off to occupied Poland to shack up with one of the SS murderers responsible and to play a role in the atrocities. I wonder if anyone would have expressed sympathy with that young woman if she'd been killed in an Allied airstrike or if anyone would have said 'oh well, she just got radicalised by Nazism, it's obviously partly our fault for letting this happen', but I doubt it. It only ever seems to be Muslims who cannot be held fully responsible for what they do.

You are so on point.
I just find celebrating a 16 year old's death and being against capital punishment being mutually exclusive.

I don't see why the two should be mutually exclusive. Capital punishment has a meaning, and being unintentionally (as far as we know) killed in an airstrike is not it.

Being opposed to capital punishment != being opposed to death more generally.

(Playing devil's advocate here, by the way.)
Original post by Hydeman
I don't see why the two should be mutually exclusive. Capital punishment has a meaning, and being unintentionally (as far as we know) killed in an airstrike is not it.

Being opposed to capital punishment != being opposed to death more generally.

I didn't say the girl getting killed was CP. Or am I misunderstanding?

If you don't want a serial killer to face death but you're inflating balloons when a girl who probably hasn't committed any acts of physical violence (let alone killing someone) is killed, it's pretty contradictory imo.

Original post by Hydeman
(Playing devil's advocate here, by the way.)

In what way? You're for CP or against the partying?
I didn't say the girl getting killed was CP. Or am I misunderstanding?

I misunderstood. My apologies. :tongue:

If you don't want a serial killer to face death but you're inflating balloons when a girl who probably hasn't committed any acts of physical violence (let alone killing someone) is killed, it's pretty contradictory imo.

Only if you were opposed to the death penalty chiefly on pacifistic grounds. There are those of us who are opposed for other reasons, e.g. we don't believe the state should have this power over citizens, or think the likelihood of wrongful convictions for capital crimes is too high, and so on.

In what way? You're for CP or against the partying?

Neither. I'm opposed to capital punishment and indifferent to the celebrations. But I'm arguing in favour of something that would seem to defend/legitimise the partying, hence it's devil's advocacy of a kind.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
I misunderstood. My apologies. :tongue:

Only if you were opposed to the death penalty chiefly on pacifistic grounds. There are those of us who are opposed for other reasons, e.g. we don't believe the state should have this power over citizens, or think the likelihood of wrongful convictions in capital crimes is too high, and so on.

Neither. I'm opposed to capital punishment and indifferent to the celebrations. But I'm arguing in favour of something that would seem to defend/legitimise the partying, hence it's devil's advocacy of a kind.

Alright fair enough. But yes I was thinking more about those against the death penalty primarily on pacifistic grounds and who don't believe in retribution.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending