Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    do you think divorce should be allowed? with 20% of kids not knowing who their father is, and 1/3 marriages ending in divorce, surely divorces should be banned? this would create a happier society

ReputationRep:
    If divorces weren't legal thaat wouldn't mean the unhappy families would just make up? Divorce is a way out of a relationship, and people want that way out because they are not happy or content with their lives. If you don't give them that way out, why should they feel happier? Surely they will feel worse as they are having a favourable choice taken away from them.

ReputationRep:
    No people would just get seperated instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    do you think divorce should be allowed? with 20% of kids not knowing who their father is,
    What evidence do you have for this? Even if it is true, how do you know it was not always true?
    and 1/3 marriages ending in divorce,
    Two hundred years ago many more marriages ended early because of death or because of the ease with which husbands or wives could just vanish elsewhere. Do you have any evidence that marriages or cohabitations now last any less time than they did then, even if the ways they break up are different?
    surely divorces should be banned? this would create a happier society
    How do you know? The obvious solution, if divorces were banned, would be not to get married in the first place- how do you propose to deal with that problem? There are other ways of removing unwanted spouses : arsenic, accidentally falling down stairs, brake failure in cars, changing light bulbs while standing in a bucket of water...In the middle ages Women used to pray to St Uncumber to dispose of their husbands, perhaps a revival of the cult would be in order.

ReputationRep:
    do you think divorce should be allowed? with 20% of kids not knowing who their father is, and 1/3 marriages ending in divorce, surely divorces should be banned? this would create a happier society
    Yes, it is sad that children are the greatest victims of marriage/relationship breakdowns.

Although those who are making the decision to divorce or otherwise end their relationship say that the children will be happier because they are happier, the reality is that most children say they would rather be living together with both parents regardless.

If divorce were made much more difficult to obtain, I do believe that people contemplating marriage would go into it with a much firmer resolve to make it work than if they thought they could just 'unmarry' if things go wrong.

This has been proved in the past when marriages lasted. Now that divorce is easier, more people rush to that recourse.

More marriage preparation and counselling would be beneficial - after the first flush of lust is past, friendship, companionship, mutual respect, and shared ambitions is what makes a marriage last, and of course, a mutually satisfying sex life.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how two people who can't stand the sights of one another being legally forbidden to go their separate ways can create much happiness. Multiply this many thousands of time and you create an unhappy society, not a happy one.

My parents stayed together "for the sake of the kids" and endured an unbearable and thoroughly miserable life as a result. They eventually divorced after 31 years of marriage. I wish they had done so sooner.

However, I'm bound to say that divorce has become too easy with couples giving up on their marriage at the first obstacle.

ReputationRep:
    *points* It's Howard!!! :eek:

Are you going to Iraq?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)

Are you going to Iraq?!
    It's rude to point

ReputationRep:
    Surely there would be more unhappy people because more people would be stuck in unhappy marriage. I think that people should have to have been married for a year before they divorce so that people have to try and make it work (except in the case of abusive relationships). I think divorce may make people enter into marriage too lightly if they knew they had to be married for a year then they may take it more seriously. But it is deffinately better for people to be divorced than unhappily married.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)

Are you going to Iraq?!
    No. Sod that! I've found myself something not as well paid, but far cushier, a bit closer to home.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming this means you are against unwed mothers aswell then?
    Banning divorce would solve nothing, people divorce because they are nolonger happy with each other and in some cases they divorce due to violence, are you saying a women who is constantly beaten by her husband should be forced to stay with him? I donot see your reasoning at all, how would this create a happier society? As for the children not knowing their fathers, that has nothing to do with divorce, that has to do with the father (and in some cases the mother) choosing to not be involved in their childs life. Trust me I know! My parents divorced because to put it mildly, my dad was a complete drunken ******* at that time, over the years he got better he stopped drinking and we got to know each other, but he never was 'dad material'. My daughter's father made his own desission to not be in my childs life, it has nothing to with whether we were married or not. And I'll tell you this, if I had married him we would all be misserable right now and it would have ended in divorce.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by magiccarpet

It would be a bubble world if divorce was banned- which would not work- it would probably make a more miserable society.

Divorce should be allowed- how can we make decisions for other people?! It would be awful to be trapped in a marriage, where the husband beats his wife and not being able to escape...
    Granted some reasons for divorce are ridiculous ( insert britney and other stars). Hence, the need for co-habitation before marriage plus the rise in pre-nups. But also I think it would be worthwhile to consider the fact that as people get older they change and grow and in some cases marriage don't grow with them...

However, until the time we have had first hand experience of such a situation who are we to judge?! or pass comment?!

ReputationRep:
    while i agree with everything said above and i'm actually pro divorce wouldn't making divorce illegal make people consider more carefully whether or not they want to get married?

ReputationRep:
    People think it's cool to get engaged/married and I've come across quite a few people engaged cheat. I thought the divorce rate was around 48%? And I hear people talk about the sanctiful marriage is haha yeah right(!)

Has anyone seen Britain's most married? There were people on that show who have been married 4+ times, with one woman who has practically had a child from each man, they are all with her. This is unfair on the children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    People think it's cool to get engaged/married and I've come across quite a few people engaged cheat. I thought the divorce rate was around 48%? And I hear people talk about the sanctiful marriage is haha yeah right(!)
    i totally agree. people just get married because they think it's cool once they are about 25. i worked in the chelmsford county court dealing with marriage certificates and divorces, most people got married at aroud 25 years then divorced at roughly 35. this is unfair on children who need a secure home life.

48% divorce rate???!!! im sure getting a prenuptial agreement!
    why the hell would you cheat if engaged?i think the western society is too permissive, with too loose ideas about sex, fidelity and marriage. this is the core of the problem

people with unhappy marriages should spend time being sensitive to each other and trying to understand the problems - not running out to some other person.what kind of person would have an affair with a married person anyway?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.