Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got my results the other day where i got:
    Biology- B
    Computing- A
    English- A
    Maths- D
    Media-B

I know they're not terrible results but the D in maths makes them look bad especially considering i want to study Computing Science. With these results i can only get a conditional offer for my preferred university and they want me to get at least 3 As in higher next year.

I will obviously retake maths and the uni said that a resit is fine but i was originally planning to take advanced computing and now I'm unsure.

I do really enjoy computing but i know i don't need an advanced higher for university as i already have the A and it is very much coursework based (60%) which could take up quite a bit of time whilst i need to focus on getting my other highers. However, it will help me in my first year at uni and they consider a B at advanced as an A at higher.

(Original post by ErinPMx)
    I got my results the other day where i got:
    Biology- B
    Computing- A
    English- A
    Maths- D
    Media-B

I know they're not terrible results but the D in maths makes them look bad especially considering i want to study Computing Science. With these results i can only get a conditional offer for my preferred university and they want me to get at least 3 As in higher next year.

I will obviously retake maths and the uni said that a resit is fine but i was originally planning to take advanced computing and now I'm unsure.

I do really enjoy computing but i know i don't need an advanced higher for university as i already have the A and it is very much coursework based (60%) which could take up quite a bit of time whilst i need to focus on getting my other highers. However, it will help me in my first year at uni and they consider a B at advanced as an A at higher.
    I'm going to be blunt, so don't take offence. A bit of Background, I'm heading to Edinburgh is September to do Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence so I like to think I know what uni's are looking for from applicants. That's a good set of results, apart from Maths. You are going to have to get to grips and work hard at maths as the first 2 years in a Comp Sci degree will be 50/50 between Comp Sci and Maths. You can take Adv computing if you wish but from what I've heard from people it does take a lot of time up and it won't really benefit you when you go to uni as no prior knowledge is presumed. If you feel you need to take only 3/4 highers to achieve A's in all of them then do that. Retake Maths, I would recommend taking up higher physics because universities like it for Comp Sci. What else you choose is up to you but getting that maths result whether that be an A/B is absolutely crucial. PM or quote me if you have any further questions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.