The Student Room Group

Is this a con?

So I got this letter this morning from some company called Marshall Ward http:///www.marshallward.co.uk it's a clothing company linked with Littlewoods, some of the stuff is horrible, but there are a few nice pieces.

Anyway, the letter said

If you believe nothing in life is free, this letter may change your mind. You have been selected to receive a sum of money to spend on goods of your choice from Marshall Ward.

As Finance Director of Marshall Ward, I can personally guarantee that you have been allocated one of the following amounts to spend with us:
£10, £500, £1000, £1500 and £2000.

However to qualify you must complete the award allocation below urgently and post it back to us in the envelope enclosed.

Following receipt of your Award Allocation form, we will release details of the sum you have been awarded accompanied by the catalogue from which you can choose your goods.

Please ensure you complete all the details required and post it back to us.

Please note all awards are conditional on being accepted as a Marshall Ward customer, acceptance is subject to credit status.

What do you think? The form wants my DOB, telephone number and email address.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Looks like a con to me, I'd stay away.
Reply 2
probably, ring the company and check?
Reply 3
*Sparkle*
So I got this letter this morning from some company called Marshall Ward http:///www.marshallward.co.uk it's a clothing company linked with Littlewoods, some of the stuff is horrible, but there are a few nice pieces.

Anyway, the letter said

What do you think? The form wants my DOB, telephone number and email address.

I got one nearly exactly the same the other day. My mom told me to bin it, she said it's a con and they'll want your money at some point.
Reply 4
Ah well, it was nice thinking it was genuine for a few minutes :p: Get free stuff for my holiday haha.
Reply 5
id ring little woods instead, to check
Reply 6
just keep in mind that nothing is for free on the net.
Reply 7
focusST
id ring little woods instead, to check

:ditto:
I'd hazard a guess that it IS a scam (well, like everyone else here :p:), but since they're claiming to be linked with a big company like Littlewoods, I'd assume it's safe to contact the big company and trust what they say :smile:
Reply 8
Some companies do giveaway vouchers like this, but if you have to become a customer there might be hidden costs.
It's probably not a con as such. It's just, the amount of £10 prizes they give away will be like 10,000, whereas the amount of £2000 prizes will be like 1. They make their money back when the costs to claim the £10 prize outweigh the actual prize itself. Since there's more £10 prizes than anything else, voila.
Reply 10
Of course it's a con. No such thing as free money.

They'll just sell your information and you'll never hear from them again.
I'm constantly getting stuff from Littlewoods in the mail, offering me vouchers in exchange for joining their catalogue thing.

They drive me crazy. Tis a load of crap, don't bother responding.
Reply 12
I know for a fact that Littlewoods do this, I think we get a letter every year or something...but I don't know about that company you mentioned.
Reply 13
They want your credit status so they can offer you a credit card. The voucher will be given to you once you become a "customer."
Reply 14
Of course it's a con - I've seen thousands of these things.
Reply 15
Marshall Ward is a genuine company and it's fine to order from them, but that sounds like a credit agreement or something in disguise to me. They'll let you order loads of stuff thinking you're going to get it for very little when in reality you'll have to pay later - but pretty much all companies do that. They're fine to order from as long as you're not going to be freaked out by what you've spent and you can pay it straight away.
Reply 16
rahmed
I know for a fact that Littlewoods do this, I think we get a letter every year or something...but I don't know about that company you mentioned.

DOWN WITH LIL WOODS!!! They wouldn't give me an account:P
Never forget the golden rule: If it seems too good to be true - it probably is. After all, these guys are in business to make money not to be nice.
Reply 18
as a general rule, if they find you, it is a con
Reply 19
Without even reading, yes.

Latest

Trending

Trending