Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

So I got unconditional offer from both Glasgow and Sheffield this year and I can't decide which to go! I'm an international student so I'm not really familiar with universities in the UK. Please give me some advice.
    I'm studying psychology and I know that Glasgow has a higher ranking in psychology. But I have also heard that Sheffield got a better reputation.
    Some also say that Sheffield got a higher student satisfaction rate and students there are happier.
    These days I've got so much opinion from my cousins and friends and I'm so confused. One of my cousins even strongly discourage me to go to Glasgow because she stressed that Glasgow is a really dangerous city famous for drugs and gangs with a high crime rate, is that true? Also some also concern that the terrible freezing weather and the fact that it gets dark pretty early will effect students' mood and emotions. It just sounds so horrifying, is that also true? I think the uni is really really beautiful and reading comments here tells me that students enjoy studying there... So I'm so confused.

And for Sheffield, I think the campus is also very nice ,looks bigger and more equipped(Don't know if it's the truth tho) Watching the videos on Youtube also makes it seems like the campus is super fun and vibrant. Yet, I guess my concern is its psychology ranking is way lower than Glasgow? And I've also heard that Glasgow s harder to get in...

So... I got sooo much opinion on the two uni these days and I'm head aching about which to choose. Again I'm not from the UK so I don't know which sounds better to ppl as well. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me some downsides of studying in the 2 uni so that I know what to expect. Please please help. Thank you so much

(I'm posting in both uni forum so ppl can c it lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nathui)
    Hey everyone

So I got unconditional offer from both Glasgow and Sheffield this year and I can't decide which to go! I'm an international student so I'm not really familiar with universities in the UK. Please give me some advice.
    I'm studying psychology and I know that Glasgow has a higher ranking in psychology. But I have also heard that Sheffield got a better reputation.
    Some also say that Sheffield got a higher student satisfaction rate and students there are happier.
    These days I've got so much opinion from my cousins and friends and I'm so confused. One of my cousins even strongly discourage me to go to Glasgow because she stressed that Glasgow is a really dangerous city famous for drugs and gangs with a high crime rate, is that true? Also some also concern that the terrible freezing weather and the fact that it gets dark pretty early will effect students' mood and emotions. It just sounds so horrifying, is that also true? I think the uni is really really beautiful and reading comments here tells me that students enjoy studying there... So I'm so confused.

And for Sheffield, I think the campus is also very nice ,looks bigger and more equipped(Don't know if it's the truth tho) Watching the videos on Youtube also makes it seems like the campus is super fun and vibrant. Yet, I guess my concern is its psychology ranking is way lower than Glasgow? And I've also heard that Glasgow s harder to get in...

So... I got sooo much opinion on the two uni these days and I'm head aching about which to choose. Again I'm not from the UK so I don't know which sounds better to ppl as well. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me some downsides of studying in the 2 uni so that I know what to expect. Please please help. Thank you so much

(I'm posting in both uni forum so ppl can c it lol)

Hi!!I looked round Sheffield loads and was intending to go there, the campus is beautiful and you're right, the uni is very well equipped, every building is very modern inside, and they have an amazing brand new library.

However I'm now going to Glasgow as I missed out on my Sheffield offer and got into Glasgow through Clearing. It's absolute rubbish saying it's a gang/drug/dangerous place in any way. All cities have that risk, and they even call Glasgow the Sheffield of Scotland. Glasgow is a beautiful city of culture, and if your course is ranked higher there then I see no reason why that can't be your first choice.

From my experience, Glasgow was easier to get into than Sheffield as the course at both Sheffield and Glasgow is an ABB course, I got BBC and was accepted to Glasgow but not Sheffield, but again I don't think this should be something that affects your decision. As an international student, maybe Glasgow's city of culture is more your thing? There are so many international students at Glasgow it's great, but Sheffield has the beauty of being a city uni, in that you're 15 minute walk to the city centre from the accommodation, but also that your accommodation feels like a campus uni because it's in the middle of a massive grassy open area.

Glasgow's accommodation is also very close to many local parks and the river so again they're quite similar.

Honestly I think you'll be happy at either, they are both very very well regarded universities here. I went to a Grammar School and they only ever pushed us to go to the best Universities, and Glasgow and Sheffield were both alwys near the very top of the list

You're very lucky to have 2 unconditional offers, & I hope I've maybe helped with your choice, or at least clearing up some things - you shouldn't always make a decision based on what our friends say!!!
    Good Luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.