The Student Room Group

Can't decide what to do

I was up until the early hours last night thinking about all this and I just want to get it off my chest really.

I've applied for two courses at Manchester Met starting in September. One is a 3 year one and the other is a foundation one. I'm not exactly the cleverest student going and I only got CCD last year. It's unlikely I'll make the 3 year course but the foundation is still an option.

Problem is, I didn't know I was going to uni until very very late. I've never been to Manchester Met uni and to be honest I don't know if I want to go at all. I'm hardly independent at all and I don't feel ready for it. They only offer halls of residence to people out side 25 miles and I'm 23. The business department, which I'll be studying in, is 25.5 miles away from home though.

I play rugby and that's another big one. I've heard bad things about university rugby and finding another club is stressful as well.

Any advice? I was thinking about doing another year at college and trying to get those grades up whilst in the meantime looking at other uni's and actually preparing myself for it.

Anyway any advice would be amazing. Thanks very much in advance
(edited 7 years ago)
All I can say is. If you're not even sure you want to go then don't. You can always defer your place and go next year instead if you decide you want to go in the end. But once you've gone that is a year of funding you won't get back. This can cause problems down the line.
Well the independence thing doesn't seem like a problem as you're close enough to commute. From what I hear the problem with Rugby at uni is more with Rugby union than Rugby league so you could try the switch, or just join a club outside of the uni as a lot of uni students will do that anyway due to time commitments, etc.

It would be better to work than study if you take an extra year, gets you a bit of money to make uni more comfortable and you can still resit for higher grades.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Well the independence thing doesn't seem like a problem as you're close enough to commute. From what I hear the problem with Rugby at uni is more with Rugby union than Rugby league so you could try the switch, or just join a club outside of the uni as a lot of uni students will do that anyway due to time commitments, etc.

Main reason I want to go to uni is the social side of it really so commuting 1.5 hours there and back doesn't really appeal to me.

I thought about that idea so did a bit of research and sent a few emails. Best club I found was 3.5 miles away or so and the problem with that is I don't drive.

What's the best way of getting about the city?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Brwned
Main reason I want to go to uni is the social side of it really so commuting 1.5 hours there and back doesn't really appeal to me.

I thought about that idea so did a bit of research and sent a few emails. Best club I found was 3.5 miles away or so and the problem with that is I don't drive.

What's the best way of getting about the city?

Hmm, that's not really a good reason to go to uni to be honest. But ignoring that, why do you think you'll struggle with the independence? There's not a whole lot to it and your family is pretty close if you need some help.

Bus or uber are generally the best ways.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending