The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anonymous
Hi, just need some advice...

I went to my GP last year finally to sort out what I felt like was depression (feeling suicidal, not sleeping, always worrying) but she totally patronised me and said its probably just because I'm a teen and its probably just hormonal, but I can tell when I just randomly get all sensitive because I'm a teenager and when I am genuinely feeling depressed - or do you all think its because I have teen angst?!

I'm not your stereotypical teenager who hates their parents, has a troublesome crowd of friends etc

I think too much about things, perhaps thats my problem?? Lately I found I can't eat throughout the day, its just too difficult for me and I don't know why, I feel like I don't deserve to eat, that I should be doing my work - but this isn't usually when I feel suicidal, just very driven by my goals, but after phases like that I just suddenly come crashing down, my confidence goes, I binge eat and I don't do any work, I don't see the point, I'm going to be a failure in life, no one would really miss me except perhaps my mum. These phases can happen at any time, I don't know why...when I was slightly younger I was always depressive in the winter, I know someone in my family has SAD.

Also, are suicidal thoughts normal? I get mixed messages, I once told a friend 'oh don't you just feel like killing yourself sometimes' and she was quite shocked...But when I went to tell this GP I get suicidal shes just like 'it's a phase, your a teenager'

Anyway, for the past month I've been wasting away, working hard, but this weekend I've crashed down again, I would have killed myself yesterday if I had the right 'tools' to do so but I would have had to go downstairs and someone would have noticed I'm not happy. I know I'll be like this for a while now.

To get to the point, should I bother getting help?

Thanks xx

Go and see another doctor.

The first doctor I went to see, when I was on the verge of killing myself drinking ridiculous amounts and generally a total mess dismissed me in much the same way as you mention. I went to university counselling service and then to another doctor who immediately put me on anti-depressants and completely understood that it wasn't simply teenage hormones. There's nothing to stop you seeing another doctor, suicidal feelings are not normal, doctors should take them seriously.

The thread is good, thanks OP.
Reply 41
you shouls definitely go and see another doctor and tell them exactly how you're feeling and your experience with the other doctor. Good luck :hugs:
Reply 42
Fantastic post OP. I'm so glad I read it.

:hugs:
OP, you're incredible. I really hope that other TSR members who don't, and have never suffered from depression will read this and understand.

I got badly neg repped a while ago due to snapping in another thread over grades - i was severely upset, and having someone else with better grades complain hurt me. I since appologised to the OP of that thread, and all is fine, however, what really hurt me the most was when one other member decided that i was "Flaunting" my depression, and that i was 'more depressed than them' this thread really goes to show how completely oblivious those without the illness are.

It is hard not to become nasty - for no reason, out of my experience, and i'm not a nasty person, but sometimes, there is nothing else i can do.

PLEASE Pm me for some serious positive rep. Really. You deserve that.
Thanks for the help, but it took me a lot of courage to see the first doctor and the fact she completely rubbished everything I said has really put me off going to see another doctor, especially one I know well which happen to be all of the doctors at my surgery. I really wish I could tell my parents, but I know they'll call me weak or mad if they took it seriously, anyone else I tell would either laugh at me or they'll say its normal e.g. my friends, who I told last year, said 'yeah we're depressed too with all this work' I really don't think they understood the full extent of how I felt and still feel, I didn't tell them I felt suicidal though, just low.

Basically, I feel like its hard to turn to anyone for help, even though I so want this to be over :frown:
Reply 45
I can understand your not wanting to see another doctor... but...

I had to pull out of a deep depression myself once and i've had many friends fight depression. One thing that is clear to me now is to get out of it you've GOT to start doing some things you don't feel like doing.

For example, i have one friend who when depressed he won't work and he won't leave his room or see anyone. It always gets worse until he either works or agrees to go out and be with friends. I remind him of this again and again and still he resists. I understand it, really... the wanting to stay in bed and hide or to not go see another doctor or whatever... but really, you just have to make yourself, because when you don't do anything, nothing changes and therefore nothing has a chance of getting better.

Are you at Uni? Is there a support group there? Perhaps that might work.

I wish i could help more. People helped me when i had troubles. Some of them were online and just knowing they cared helped me. It has made me want to help others. Some day soon, i hope you will be feeling better.
I wish I was at uni, the support there generally sounds better, but I'm in my last year of sixth form and because my teachers are about to write my reference and everything, I don't feel like I can let them know just in case they say something negative like I can't handle the work, because I can, I know the work isn't all that is causing the problem, in fact it is when I don't have work and have a moment to reflect when everything gets a lot worse, but when I spend too much time working I don't eat, I just can't, so I can't force myself to work all the time, when I do I end up becoming physically ill once I've had some rest. This weekend I didn't have much homework so I decided to take it easy but I don't feel physically well either.

Thank you for your help xx
Reply 47
I thought of something else... it is something i still do today.

When we're depressed, often we're so hard on ourselves. We don't like ourselves. We also worry and think about the past and see only the negatives in life.

At one point i was so frustrated, that i decided i wanted to try many things to see if i could be happier in a month. Funny thing was, some of the most simple ideas i came up with proved to be the most effective.

Every morning, first thing... think of at least 3 things in your day you have to look forward to. Some days it will be hard to think of even one, but those are the days you ESPECIALLY need to think of three things. After doing it a little while i realized that the things that really make a person happy are often small things. At first sometimes i would think of only wanting my morning coffee! hahaha. But realizing i was looking forward to it helped me to appreciate those morning minutes when i sit with a cup, look at the weather, and start planning my day. Thinking of three things will start to shift your focus from the negative to the positive. It really does work.

At the end of the day, do something similar. Think of 3 things in your day that were the best parts. You can also include things which make you feel grateful, like perhaps the love of a parent. Again, this helps you to shift your focus away from the negative and on those things that comfort and make you feel good. The effects improve with practice, so i try to do it every day.

I am also presently trying to include for myself trying to think of 3 ways in my day i can feel good about myself. For instance, each day i know that i try. I know i'm sincere. I know i've overcome obstacles. Sometimes i accomplish things and feel good about that.

I write all of these things down, either online or in my journal. Writing them down makes them more real. It isn't about denying my sad feelings or holding them in. When i'm sad i try to express it. It's just about acknowleging the good around me every day and not letting that get lost.

If you want to do it, i would offer to start a thread and we can do it together, if that would help. Probably there are others here who would like to try it, too.
Reply 48
Do you mind if i ask you what you think is the source of your depression? You might have already said, but if you did i missed it. Did something happen?
Its kind of hard to say, because I'm not entirely sure, I've always been a perfectionist to the extreme, and when one thing triggers a bout of depression a whole load of things come out, it could be a number of things, mainly school orientated in fact:

I'm aware that the majority of my year hate me because I'm a high flyer, especially in one subject where the teachers absolutely love me and I'm constantly getting high grades which the teachers go and tell everyone about, in fact I've had this problem since junior school (at the same school) where someone spread a rumour about me that I got all As on my grade card and everyone hated me for it! Because of this, I'm aware that people find me an easy target and criticise me behind my back (even when I can hear but they don't realise it) and this makes me very self-conscious and self-loathing about my personality, looks etc.

When I don't achieve my full potential academically I become very self-loathing, I got abbb for my AS results and I've given myself a lot of stick for this, and I know theyre not bad grades but I can do so much better and Im so angry that I could have done that to my future, plus there is a lot of parental pressure for me to be very academic, which isn't surprising because it is my nature.

I've also had physical illnesses which have made me feel low when I was about 14ish.

Plus I always feel a sense of guilt and self-hate when I make a mistake involving other people, I have a constant need to please.

Thing is, I'm not depressed all the time, it comes and goes, sometimes I don't care about all of the above and enjoy myself so much that when I fall, I fall badly.

Sorry about the lengthy post!
Plus I think your idea about the three things is a good one, and it might be useful for a lot of people on here :smile: ty for listening (or reading) to my problems! xx
Reply 50
Ah yes... this sounds very familiar!

Sometimes i wonder if self-hate is at the root of all deepest depressions.

Don't be sorry about the lengthy post... you should see me when i get on a roll, hahaha! I'll make you look like an amateur, hahaha!

Yes, i think it might be helpful for others, too, and perhaps some will even come out to talk with us and share what they think.

I think about the self-esteem issue a lot. I myself don't have a lot of confidence or self-esteem and i desperately want to change that. My parents criticized me far too much and that stuck with me. I've had some really hard luck, too. Now i am hard on myself. I'm always seeing how i fall short of my expectations, and not appreciating how much i have accomplished or good qualities i have.

And i see this in my friend Mark, too, but especially when he is depressed.

It isn't that we think badly of ourselves because we are somehow lacking and see the truth. It is not the truth. It is totally eroneous. Some days we feel worthless and some days we don't, but we're the same person. And NO ONE is worthless... we know this. But when we feel depressed, it's like we're lost in a maze of funhouse mirrors. We can't find our way out and we're only seeing distortions of ourselves and life.

So what might we do about it?
Thank you very much for this, a very worthwhile post i can relate to :smile:
Anonymous
I wish I was at uni, the support there generally sounds better, but I'm in my last year of sixth form and because my teachers are about to write my reference and everything, I don't feel like I can let them know just in case they say something negative like I can't handle the work, because I can, I know the work isn't all that is causing the problem, in fact it is when I don't have work and have a moment to reflect when everything gets a lot worse, but when I spend too much time working I don't eat, I just can't, so I can't force myself to work all the time, when I do I end up becoming physically ill once I've had some rest. This weekend I didn't have much homework so I decided to take it easy but I don't feel physically well either.

Thank you for your help xx

I'm in the exact situation as you, but I've told my form tutor, who seems to unfortunately think that I'm incapable of doing the work and working part time too, which I told her was completely ridiculous because I know that I can do it when I put my heart to it. But she's saying either drop a subject or don't work...can't win with them.

And I'm like you too in that when I have time to think, everything becomes messed up, and it's better that I'm doing something as opposed to wallowing. Meh, I don't understand why they don't like me working, at least I'm saving for uni fees, not wasting the time sitting in front of the tv binging etc...which I would lol.

Anyways I hope you're better!
OP, can you PM me please so I can rep you? (if I figure out how :wink:)
Reply 54
*bump*
hey to back up your thread here's the one i made a while ago (theres also one on self harm-link in sig)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=229922
Hi

I posted a few months ago when I was feeling low and suicidal (user 5 I think), then I reached a state of not caring, quite numb, couldn't care less what happens to me, I won't kill myself but if a bus comes and runs me over, oh well. Then I started feeling normal again, in fact quite optimistic despite being rejected from one of my university's I applied to as I just thought, well thats fine, it just means there's another path to follow. I started revising really hard for my exams in january, something I never do, so I was quite proud of myself. As soon as my exams were finished I suddenly felt really low again, like a failure, like I have no purpose, then I became obsessed with suicide again. After about a week I started feeling really happy, quite hyper in fact, I felt strong and good about myself, getting really good grades etc but then I kind of started to lose control, I can't sit still in my lessons, I keep needing to interrupt the teacher and I just kept saying things I completely regret now, I also couldn't sleep. Then today I started to feel as though things started slowing down a bit, I was getting really bored with the slow pace of life right now, now I've come home and I suddenly feel awful again. I really don't feel there is a purpose to life, I don't know what to do...When I was feeling low after the exams one of my teacher's told me she'd look into some kind of therapy beginning with C for me because she's aware I'm not particularly confident, and I told her that I felt I have no purpose in life, but didn't really say much more than that, other than that I feel like a failure. But then because I became a bit hyper she said that it must have just been the exams getting to me etc But I knew that I'll feel low again, today I do. However after my teacher offered looking into CBT I realised I just really want help, it would be quite nice to live, of course that was only temporary, I don't know whats going on in my head anymore. I don't know what to do.

Sorry this post makes no sense, I'm just sooo confused. I just hate the feeling of knowing I will feel low again sometime soon, I genuinely thought after a rejection in december but then also having got an offer from another amazing uni that life would be good, I have something to live for etc The fact I've become low again makes me realise, maybe it won't go? I really want to go on holidays, search for a purpose or something to live for this summer, but I just can't afford it, I've tried saving but then I'd feel selfish spending all that money on a holiday for myself when my family have so many financial problems.

Sorry about this post, I must sound like an attention seeking brat, and I understand if you don't want to help me, though I hate myself more than anyone else hates me, I think...If you can help, or just talk, thanks x :smile:
Anonymous
Sorry this post makes no sense, I'm just sooo confused. I just hate the feeling of knowing I will feel low again sometime soon, I genuinely thought after a rejection in december but then also having got an offer from another amazing uni that life would be good, I have something to live for etc The fact I've become low again makes me realise, maybe it won't go? I really want to go on holidays, search for a purpose or something to live for this summer, but I just can't afford it, I've tried saving but then I'd feel selfish spending all that money on a holiday for myself when my family have so many financial problems.

Sorry about this post, I must sound like an attention seeking brat, and I understand if you don't want to help me, though I hate myself more than anyone else hates me, I think...If you can help, or just talk, thanks x :smile:
I think I know just how you feel. I feel up and down a lot too. And when I get down, I just sort of freefall and there's nothing to catch me on the way down.

I've been suicidal quite a few times over the years and it means that when I'm so down, even if i somehow hang on, I know I'm going to get like that again, and that the interlude is probably not going to be good either. It means that i hardly even want to fight it. It means part of me wants it to get so bad that I can just end it because the constant sort of unhappiness is neverending.

Its got worse again recently. The thing is that like you, it does abate for a while and i can act 'normal' and when i've got the 'normal' mask firmly on, I feel like a fraud going to the doctors or to councelling.

But each time gets worse as well.

And at the same time, i know i can't die because it will hurt loads of people. So for once I'm trying to get help, I'm taking it seriously and I think I'm learning that if I do, other people have to as well. I've spoken to the people I'm meant to. (mainly because a friend sort of forced me to) And the resounding response is to go to my GP and get councelling. So I guess I have to, because I can't live like this. And its not that I won't, it's that I actually can't. Its quite bad that I've also felt a lot more likely to kill myself than to ask for help. But I suppose you just have to take small steps.

Sorry I'm making this all about me. But basically you should do the same. You have to go to the GP or a councelling service because life feeling crap isnt a life at all.
Thanks for the reply, but I tried going to the GP I trust most over a year ago now, and because by the time I reached the appointment day, I became normal again so although I told her I've been like this for years and I often get suicidal she didn't believe me. Now I have so much trouble telling people about it, partly because they won't take me seriously and also because I have so much difficulty trusting people because I was quite open when I was younger. The teacher that suggested therapy is good for spotting I may appreciate help but I really don't trust her, she gossips a lot I reckon but at the same time because she suspects something maybe I should tell her? I don't know :s-smilie: I hate myself so much for being like this

I'm actually not expecting to live a very long life, this is going to consume me. Sometimes I don't care and other times it hits me that if I carry on I genuinely will kill myself, and when I'm normal I find that quite frightening really. I sometimes think one or two people may be a bit miffed if I die, other times I think their lives will be better without me, that's when I get really bad. :s-smilie:
Anonymous
Thanks for the reply, but I tried going to the GP I trust most over a year ago now, and because by the time I reached the appointment day, I became normal again so although I told her I've been like this for years and I often get suicidal she didn't believe me. Now I have so much trouble telling people about it, partly because they won't take me seriously and also because I have so much difficulty trusting people because I was quite open when I was younger. The teacher that suggested therapy is good for spotting I may appreciate help but I really don't trust her, she gossips a lot I reckon but at the same time because she suspects something maybe I should tell her? I don't know :s-smilie: I hate myself so much for being like this

I'm actually not expecting to live a very long life, this is going to consume me. Sometimes I don't care and other times it hits me that if I carry on I genuinely will kill myself, and when I'm normal I find that quite frightening really. I sometimes think one or two people may be a bit miffed if I die, other times I think their lives will be better without me, that's when I get really bad. :s-smilie:
GPs have to keep confidentiality, you just need to find one you can talk to.

It doesnt matter if you're ok today or tomorrow, if there are days when you seriously want to die then you have to tell the GP that. I dont see what your teacher can do. If there's a councelling service or something, try and go to it.

As you've probably discovered, it's not going to go away on its own. You have to do something and going to your GP is the right thing to do.

Have you ever known someone that's died? Deaths have a big effect on the people around them, people you wouldnt expect can feel really hurt. Your death will have a big impact even if you think it wont. The world isnt better off without you at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending