Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi guys,
    i am an adult and want to study A levels at home and sit for the exams as a private student. I am planning to do 3 A levels (chem,bio,math) in one year. I need your advice about the workload, as i will study 6-8hr/day for 6 days a week consistently.
    how hard is the task i am starting, or i have heard from some of my friends that its quite impossible.

need your advice,

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing both AS and A levels in one year?

It's not so much the content that will be a challenge. It's the way examiners want the answers is the tricky bit. You can write an essay and get 0 marks if you miss the key bits in the examiners check list.

If you are really serious about doing a levels, its best to do it over 2 years. I am assuming you havent been education for a while?

ReputationRep:
    I highly recommend a teacher or a tutor to be honest. A-levels are intense and you should have the proper guidance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gman786)
    Are you doing both AS and A levels in one year?

It's not so much the content that will be a challenge. It's the way examiners want the answers is the tricky bit. You can write an essay and get 0 marks if you miss the key bits in the examiners check list.

If you are really serious about doing a levels, its best to do it over 2 years. I am assuming you havent been education for a while?
    I will be doing it through a private college (online/distance learning), and will have a tutor but major part of studies, i will be doing at home. yes, I have been out of education for almost 9 years.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on your self-discipline. If you really can manage 6-8 hours of solid work, 6 days per week, then it is possible. Be honest with yourself about how likely it is that you can manage that, with all the distractions at home. If you are in doubt, it might be better to tackle the A levels over two years.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see the point in this route - you'd be much much better off if you did an Access course in Science.
    Independently doing THREE a-levels which take two years each and especially if you've been out of study for nine years - an access course provides SO much extra help.

Firstly the motivation of having fellow students is invaluable . I've done A-Levels and was only out of education for a few years but could not have completed my course without the help from my fellow mature students as well as tutors who specifically tailor their help and assistance for mature students and people who have lives (work, children) outside of their course.

Also it'd work out cheaper and take half the time!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.