Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This september I'm going to be taking on BTEC level 3 applied sciences, but Ive always always wanted to become a surgeon and go to med school... Is it possible to do a foundation year to enter medicine with BTEC? If so which university's? Im in the UK btw.. Thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    Just avoid applying to Cambridge and Oxford medical schools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammyj97)
    This september I'm going to be taking on BTEC level 3 applied sciences, but Ive always always wanted to become a surgeon and go to med school... Is it possible to do a foundation year to enter medicine with BTEC? If so which university's? Im in the UK btw.. Thankyou.
    A levels would put you in a much better position. I'm not aware of any UK med school which will take BTEC instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's some universities that have foundation years for Health that allow entry to Medicine afterwards (obviously make sure you check if the one you choose allows this), I think some of them do accept BTEC for the foundation year, I think you'd typically need to have something like three distinctions (DDD).
    You need to end up getting very good marks though on the foundation year and not everyone will be accepted for Medicine afterwards, you may end up having to do a different course at the end of it if you do pass like Pharmacy (which is a great career anyway). You still need to go through interviews afterwards to get onto other courses like other people do.

Just google around for universities that offer it and then look up their entry requirements, if they're not listed for BTEC just phone them up and ask.

ReputationRep:
    The most important question here is, do you meet the minimum GCSE requirements for the medicine foundations courses? I am only asking because if you had gotten high grades you would be doing A levels?
    The only way I see is either doing an access course (if they accept your qualifications) or doing another degree and then applying for graduate entry medicine. Most graduate entry medicine courses don't tend to look at your GCSEs or college qualifications, however since you haven't even started college, a lot can change by then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polerat)
    The most important question here is, do you meet the minimum GCSE requirements for the medicine foundations courses? I am only asking because if you had gotten high grades you would be doing A levels?
    The only way I see is either doing an access course (if they accept your qualifications) or doing another degree and then applying for graduate entry medicine. Most graduate entry medicine courses don't tend to look at your GCSEs or college qualifications, however since you haven't even started college, a lot can change by then.
    Yes I have fairly high GCSE grades (nothing below a C) I'm 19 years old. I've completed 8 AS levels (not sciences) but due to some personal issues I could only complete the first year when i applied each time. I did apply for science A levels for this september but the college only accepted me into BTEC so i've decided to go along with it and then complete a foundation year degree for medicine and get transferred into med school. Thanks for all the help guys.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have fairly high GCSE grades (nothing below a C) I'm 19 years old. I've completed 8 AS levels (not sciences) but due to some personal issues I could only complete the first year when i applied each time. I did apply for science A levels for this september but the college only accepted me into BTEC so i've decided to go along with it and then complete a foundation year degree for medicine and get transferred into med school. Thanks for all the help guys.
    Maybe you should consider a different college or even self learning. To be honest, teaching yourself a level content isn't particularly difficult with the resources that are readily avaliable.

In fact, I pretty much taught myself through my whole life (i'm one of those work smart people that do nothing all year and study a week and get by!) That included doing a BSc Genetics
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Your going to find it incredibly hard to get onto a medical foundation programme with a BTEC, most do not accept this qualification. Some medical schools do but they start you on a transfer course and not everyone gets into medicine in the end, so keep that in mind.

You would ideally need at least a B in english, maths and the sciences to apply to medicine at GCSE, whether this be foundation or not, a lot of people have the misconception that a foundation programme will usually accept lower grades, but the majority of them are open to candidates with very competative grades but who didnt take the correct Alevels. My best advice is have a good look around.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.