Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit confused as to what is considered sufficient prior programming experience, and I would like to ask any current or future Computing Science students to help me in this matter with their advise/opinion . For the past two years I studied Java during my IB higher level CS class, and also dabbled a bit with C# during the beginning of the whole IB DP. I have also studied computer science before hand, not programming per se, but theory, and web coding in school, and on my own.
    I have been mostly considering going for the prior programming experience route, but since Python is the first language we are taught, and I have never experimented with that language, I started to consider the other option as well.I'm just interested in what others think, and which route they took/ or will take.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm a 4th year Comp Sci student at UoG.

Given you have experience in Java and C#, I would definitely go with the prior-programming route. I think the class is CS1P (unless it's changed since I did it). I had very little programming experience before the start of my degree, and was perfectly fine with the "prior experience" route.

If you have even very basic programming skills, you will find the class very easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IsaacJordan)
    Hey, I'm a 4th year Comp Sci student at UoG.

Given you have experience in Java and C#, I would definitely go with the prior-programming route. I think the class is CS1P (unless it's changed since I did it). I had very little programming experience before the start of my degree, and was perfectly fine with the "prior experience" route.

If you have even very basic programming skills, you will find the class very easy.
    Hi, thanks for the reply . I will definitely go with the prior experience route. Thank you for easing my mind .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.