Turn on thread page Beta

Laptop for £850. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys, i'm now trying to find my friend a new laptop. He's just had all his tax returned and has put it together with his birthday money so he willing to pay around £850 for his laptop [although he's willing to pay a little more if i find a really good one]. He is a gamer, and want's a 17" screen too cos he is a massive fan of films.

I've found one, linked below, so i was wondering if you could give your opinions of it e.g. if it's worth the price. Also, if you could link me to any others you've found that would be great.

Btw, he plays World of Warcraft, just so you can decide if the graphics card etc are good enough to be able to handle it. Thanks guys

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Hewle.../version-1.asp - £894.97

ReputationRep:
    What other games does he play besides World of Warcraft? WoW isn't even a terribly demanding game by current standards.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing else really, he wants a laptop that will run WoW smoothly, and one with a large screen to watch films on etc. What do you think of this laptop? is it worth the money?

ReputationRep:
    Does he need it to be a laptop? Seeing as he wants 17 inch, I am guessing he doesn't want to carry it around much... he's get more for his money if he went for a desktop.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, he wants a laptop. I told him it would be heavy but he 'doesn't care'. So is this laptop worth it?

ReputationRep:
    Weight: 3.5kg

For a 17" isnt that really light relatively? Most the ones I seen seem to say there about 5kg

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that's a good point actually. I think a 14.1" laptop i was looking at weighed about 3kg. Does anyone out there have any more suggestions? This was just an example of what i thought he could get for his money, but any other suggestions would be great

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.zepto.com/Shop/Notebook.aspx?notebookid=636

17 inches is ridiculous for a laptop really...

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks Choad for the link, i tried to build one to his needs and budget, and came up with this;

Configuration
    Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG 54Mbit

Keyboard Znote 6x15W Black UK

SAMSUNG DVD-RW DL

15,4" WSXGA+ 1680x1050 - 6625WD

6 Cell Battery

NVIDIA® Geforce 8600M GT

1.80 GHz Intel® Core™2 Duo T7100 800MHz

2048MB (2x1024) DDR2 667/PC5300 SODIMM

120GB Hybrid 2,5" 5400RPM - SAMSUNG

Microsoft® Windows® Vista Home Premium - UK

Service
    12 months pick up & return

This seemed really good, until i looked at the final price with delivery, VAT etc and it went to nearly £1000.. but i'll have a browse around that website some more

ReputationRep:
    zepto is the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all. Just to let you all know, that my friend has decided to buy this laptop once it's in stock - http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_.../version-1.asp

Could i get any final support? I think it looks really good, but hey, what do i know Any advice would be great. He's going to buy it next week so he still has time to change his mind if you all say it's rubbish..

ReputationRep:
    I thought he wanted a 17" screen? Otherwise it looks like a very good laptop, nice gfx card and CPU.

ReputationRep:
    I convinced him not to be so fussy about the larger screen :p: I mean, 15" is big enough surely? Another question, does anyone know what the screens are like on Acer laptops? Just wondering about the standard of them, 'cos i've seen hp laptops and they have really nice glossy screens. Just wondering if Acers do too?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.