Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so I got my igcse results yesterday and they turned out great, anyway i am planning on taking 3 A levels in one year because my school does not offer us 2 years. i want to take A level math,physics and my own language as the 3rd one I was just wondering if it is possible or not and btw I got A* in math and physics,,and thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by za3)
    so I got my igcse results yesterday and they turned great anyway i am planning on taking 3 A levels in one year because my school does not offer us 2 years anyway i want to take A level math,physics and my own language as the 3rd one I was just wondering if it is possible or nah and btw I got A* in math and physics,,and thank you in advance
    Sounds like a pretty impossible task to me, even if you had 10A*s. Doing a whole A-Level (AS + A2) in one year is hard enough; doing three is almost impossible. I would strongly suggest against it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Settle)
    Sounds like a pretty impossible task to me, even if you had 10A*s. Doing a whole A-Level (AS + A2) in one year is hard enough; doing three is almost impossible. I would strongly suggest against it.
    I concur, I have just finished my A2s and even though the new A-Level is a little bit different please do your brain the courtesy of not doing it in one measly year! I also assume due to your success in the sciences that you'll do fairly rigorous A-Levels, let me tell you I did maths, chem, English Language and physics(As) and they are no walk in the park compared to iGCSE my friend! I know you said your school doesn't allow it, but they are not giving you a good enough standard of education if they try and cram 2 years worth of content into 1 year, and that's the honest truth.

Regardless of this, congratulations on your results, it sounds like you did very well and I wish you all the best with your future endeavours!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Settle)
    so what do you think i should do ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L33t)
    I concur, I have just finished my A2s and even though the new A-Level is a little bit different please do your brain the courtesy of not doing it in one measly year! I also assume due to your success in the sciences that you'll do fairly rigorous A-Levels, let me tell you I did maths, chem, English Language and physics(As) and they are no walk in the park compared to iGCSE my friend! I know you said your school doesn't allow it, but they are not giving you a good enough standard of education if they try and cram 2 years worth of content into 1 year, and that's the honest truth.

Regardless of this, congratulations on your results, it sounds like you did very well and I wish you all the best with your future endeavours!
    Thank you for your congratz sir , so what do you recommend just make 2 or add a whole new year

the problem is that as i want to study in The UK there they need atleast 3 alevels and my school offer IGCSE's at year 11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by za3)
    Thank you for your congratz sir , so what do you recommend just make 2 or add a whole new year

the problem is that as i want to study in The UK there they need atleast 3 alevels and my school offer IGCSE's at year 11
    In the UK, the A-Level system is currently under reform (i'm from the UK) and yes for most courses you require 3 good A-Levels (offers made from C-A* normally). There is a problem with the new system though. As it stands you can complete an "AS" level which is like the 'old' first year however, if you drop that subject (in the UK it is usual to do four As levels and drop the one you don't do so well in or don't like) only that one dropped subject qualification becomes an As level, in other words, the other exams you sat count for nothing if you do them at A2 and sit the higher level exam because the same content is in the A2 exam! It is so stupid. The only bright side to this is that from these initial results, even though you may end up with only one qualification in the end, the University can make a sound offer based on your academic performance. This has led to a divide in the way A-Levels are delivered in UK colleges and sixth-forms. This divide isn't over the length as in any institution an A-Level is, and always has been, 2 years. The divide is whether or not to actually make your students sit any AS exams; if they do the end of 2 year exam they will still be tested on all the stuff that could have been in the AS exam! Many centres (upto one quarter) have said they will no longer enter students to do the year one exam and instead, will only do the end of year 2 exam. PLEASE NOTE however that not all A-Levels are reformed at the moment, many of them are in the middle of being rewritten and so haven't been rolled out to teachers and students yet. I thought you might want to know how the newer system works but in short, yes, add an extra year and do 3 or 4 depending on whether your school is going to enter you for first year exams or not. Also you would sit international A-Levels wouldn't you? I think they are different still for example I sat C1, C2, C3 and C4 maths separately, for IAL they are combined as C1/C2 and C3/C4 I believe. You need to speak to your school I think.

ReputationRep:
    You'd be much better off doing the syllabus in two years, but if you can't, it's doable so long as you're prepared to work MASSIVELY overtime (ie after school hours). I tried doing maths in a year with two other ASs and it didn't work out for me, mainly coz I'm quite a slow person and didn't work enough because it was too overwhelming for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by za3)
    so I got my igcse results yesterday and they turned out great, anyway i am planning on taking 3 A levels in one year because my school does not offer us 2 years. i want to take A level math,physics and my own language as the 3rd one I was just wondering if it is possible or not and btw I got A* in math and physics,,and thank you in advance
    As you have said you want to study in the uk you should check that an A level in your own language would be an acceptable third A level. Because the language A levels are designed for non-native speakers it's so easy for you to do well in them that some universities won't accept them as demonstrating your academic ability. If you know what you want to study and have some ideas about which university, contact them for advice.
    Maths A level in one year is relatively easy for someone strong in maths and as the Edexcel exams are modular for maths you could spread them out across the October, January and summer exam periods to lighten your exam load. You could make a start studying the C1 and C2 units on your own now. If your school only offers you one more year for A levels I assume they are experienced in delivering fast track study and only take candidates with the potential to do it successfully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    As you have said you want to study in the uk you should check that an A level in your own language would be an acceptable third A level. Because the language A levels are designed for non-native speakers it's so easy for you to do well in them that some universities won't accept them as demonstrating your academic ability. If you know what you want to study and have some ideas about which university, contact them for advice.
    Maths A level in one year is relatively easy for someone strong in maths and as the Edexcel exams are modular for maths you could spread them out across the October, January and summer exam periods to lighten your exam load. You could make a start studying the C1 and C2 units on your own now. If your school only offers you one more year for A levels I assume they are experienced in delivering fast track study and only take candidates with the potential to do it successfully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you very much i appreciate your help man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L33t)
    In the UK, the A-Level system is currently under reform (i'm from the UK) and yes for most courses you require 3 good A-Levels (offers made from C-A* normally). There is a problem with the new system though. As it stands you can complete an "AS" level which is like the 'old' first year however, if you drop that subject (in the UK it is usual to do four As levels and drop the one you don't do so well in or don't like) only that one dropped subject qualification becomes an As level, in other words, the other exams you sat count for nothing if you do them at A2 and sit the higher level exam because the same content is in the A2 exam! It is so stupid. The only bright side to this is that from these initial results, even though you may end up with only one qualification in the end, the University can make a sound offer based on your academic performance. This has led to a divide in the way A-Levels are delivered in UK colleges and sixth-forms. This divide isn't over the length as in any institution an A-Level is, and always has been, 2 years. The divide is whether or not to actually make your students sit any AS exams; if they do the end of 2 year exam they will still be tested on all the stuff that could have been in the AS exam! Many centres (upto one quarter) have said they will no longer enter students to do the year one exam and instead, will only do the end of year 2 exam. PLEASE NOTE however that not all A-Levels are reformed at the moment, many of them are in the middle of being rewritten and so haven't been rolled out to teachers and students yet. I thought you might want to know how the newer system works but in short, yes, add an extra year and do 3 or 4 depending on whether your school is going to enter you for first year exams or not. Also you would sit international A-Levels wouldn't you? I think they are different still for example I sat C1, C2, C3 and C4 maths separately, for IAL they are combined as C1/C2 and C3/C4 I believe. You need to speak to your school I think.
    thank you sir for all the help Appreciated

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.