The Student Room Group

Is it a good idea to a masters in conflict resolution as a lawyer?

Hi I am a law graduate (done the bptc as well) now working in a commercial law firm (outside uk) - would it be a good idea to do a masters in conflict resolution (that focuses on negotiation, mediation, arbitration etc - considering I am part of the dispute resolution team at my current job) or would it be considered a waste of time? Any opinions would be highly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

If it's required for your job yes. If not then it's a waste of time and money.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
If it's required for your job yes. If not then it's a waste of time and money.

Thanks for replying to my question.

What is your opinion on doing an LLM (being in the same position as before)
And would it make a difference if either of the postgraduate degrees aforementioned are from prestigious universities?
Same as before.

Uni prestige means pretty much nothing.
Reply 4
What I meant by prestige I guess was well reputed.
Surely a degree from a well reputed university would account for something on your cv and in general?
An Oxbridge degree would account for more (in terms of job prospects) than let's say a Manchester degree.

I did my undergrad at Manchester and I now want to add a masters from a well reputed uni to my cv, but I'm unsure whether it will justify the gap in my work.
Not really. Reputation means lots of different things depending on who you ask and what is being considered. An employer isn't going to look at your uni and go yes or no just based on that. Course content, grades and experience are what'll make or break your career.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by J-SP
Are you a qualified lawyer in the other jurisdiction? Are you looking to remain in that country or come to the UK to work? If the latter, what kind of level role are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!
Yes I am working as a lawyer in my country. Even though I have done my undergrad (LLb) from uk it's accepted here (I live in a commonwealth country)
My main goal right now is to be able to find a job in the uk - preferably in a commercial firm or chamber set (I have done the bptc)

But my university ranking/repute might be a hindrance.
Is it advisable to go for the masters program in conflict resolution?
Reply 7
Not really. Reputation means lots of different things depending on who you ask and what is being considered. An employer isn't going to look at your uni and go yes or no just based on that. Course content, grades and experience are what'll make or break your career.

Thank you for your helpful responses! :smile:
Reply 8

That is not correct at all. Visit a firm during their open days or, even better, schemes and you'll understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by J-SP
Can I ask which country and how long you have been qualified?

Your undergraduate degree is fine - your university is respected enough. Your work experience to date will be what gets you a job really. But I have a feeling you are still going to be looking at entry level roles and if that is the case then an LLM is going to have little impact if you want to apply to a commercial firm. It might be different if you want to go the barrister route though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to private message you. Hope that is okay. Thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by J-SP
Can I ask which country and how long you have been qualified?

Your undergraduate degree is fine - your university is respected enough. Your work experience to date will be what gets you a job really. But I have a feeling you are still going to be looking at entry level roles and if that is the case then an LLM is going to have little impact if you want to apply to a commercial firm. It might be different if you want to go the barrister route though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would it be different if I go down the barrister route? Would a postgrad degree be advisable then?
Original post by *Stefan*
That is not correct at all. Visit a firm during their open days or, even better, schemes and you'll understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I highly doubt that. This discussion has been had so many times on TSR so I'm not going to get into it again.
Which country? Do you have the right to work in the UK? You seem very sparse on relevant detail.
Reply 13
I highly doubt that. This discussion has been had so many times on TSR so I'm not going to get into it again.

So, you speak without having been to any firms?

Okay.
So, you speak without having been to any firms?

Okay.

I think careers advisors across the country would have picked this up a while ago if this was such a big thing so I speak from experience yes.
Reply 15
I think careers advisors across the country would have picked this up a while ago if this was such a big thing so I speak from experience yes.

They already have. Haven't you seen the constant reports about firms being too elitist?

Read the chambersstudent report too - only proves the point.

That is not to say that students from what are considered average unis cannot succeed - it means it's harder for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They already have. Haven't you seen the constant reports about firms being too elitist?

Read the chambersstudent report too - only proves the point.

That is not to say that students from what are considered average unis cannot succeed - it means it's harder for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I'm still not convinced of what you're on about. Bar Oxbridge, most unis in the UK are 'average' unless you're somewhere terrible in which case you will struggle.
Reply 17
Sorry I'm still not convinced of what you're on about. Bar Oxbridge, most unis in the UK are 'average' unless you're somewhere terrible in which case you will struggle.

Whatever floats your boat I guess... not gonna bother any more.

Come on, can you seriously look me in the eye and tell me a degree from Sheffield Hallam is the same as a degree from the University of Manchester?

I'm sorry, but rankings and prestige are there for a reason. Companies specifically hold job fairs and recruit exclusively from top universities for a reason. Stop trying to delude people, prestige does matter in life.
Original post by prospective_grad
Come on, can you seriously look me in the eye and tell me a degree from Sheffield Hallam is the same as a degree from the University of Manchester?

I'm sorry, but rankings and prestige are there for a reason. Companies specifically hold job fairs and recruit exclusively from top universities for a reason. Stop trying to delude people, prestige does matter in life.

If there were two people with the same grades, same work experience who had both studied the same number of relevant modules they would both get interviewed yes.

Quick Reply

Latest