The Student Room Group

Is it a good idea to a masters in conflict resolution as a lawyer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by J-SP
They might - but they might only be able to advise on the UAE market.

Try and find people who are qualified in your current jurisdiction but are now working in the locations you are willing to consider and look at their route/background. Ask them for advice. Don't just use your existing networks, create new ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay. So do I just email the law firms ( that I'm interested in) or?
Most of the people at my law firm have similar work experience as me. Some have worked in the uk before starting work here but that was for a maximum of two years or less.

I'm not really under researched - we were obviously made aware of the traditional routes to becoming qualified as a solicitor or barrister at law school and then further during bptc. But I never took any real action because I don't have the right to work in the uk. Everyone who has done undergrad or bar from the uk in my country has eventually come back (even people from lse, kings and Oxford) so I assumed that if they didn't get any work there - I don't stand a chance.

I don't think it's as easy as you make it seem though. Don't get me wrong I am grateful that you have encouraged me. But still it's not that simple.

If you don't mind me asking, are you working as a solicitor?
Reply 41
Original post by J-SP
I've never said it was easy and sorry if you got that impression. You are trying to enter a very competitive job market no matter what level you come in at. What I am trying to explain to you is that you need to educate yourself on how to become competitive.

I meant you are under researched/knowledgable about the processes outside of your home country. The things you have said demonstrate this and this puts you many steps behind your competitors who will know what is expected inside out. You are starting this journey and asking for advice on very specific things like whether an LLM will help you, but you need to do a lot more research into the qualification processes and the requirements of different jurisdictions, depending on where you want to work.

I'm not a solicitor. I used to recruit for major international law firms at a trainee level, but I have had this type of conversation 1000s of time with people qualified in one country but looking to work in London or even other countries. I've lost count how many LLM students from places like Oxford/LSE (and many other universities of various prestigious levels) do their LLM thinking it will get them a job in the UK or elsewhere and the reality is it doesn't. It's just another bit of evidence that shows analytical ability and potentially intelligence. And that's not enough...

It's complicated on giving generic advice because it varies from person to person. But the common theme is that people over-estimate the quality of their work experience and therefore when they move to a major legal jurisdiction like the UK from a lesser recognised legal jurisdiction like yours, their experiences just don't match up to the quality of the domestic lawyers. A masters will not change that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, you have given me excellent advice and I really appreciate that! Thank you for taking the time to write them replies and responding to my queries. :smile:
Original post by Scruffyjoe
That's great. Well done!!
What are you doing your MA in? Law?

Thanks although I've realised your undergrad was from Manchester which is a great uni?! Not a bad thing to have on your CV at all, I'm really considering Manchester for my PhD. MA is in medical law and medical ethics (which is why it's an MA and not an LLM I guess) but it's run in the law school so all in all a bit of a strange programme *
Reply 43
Original post by infairverona
Thanks although I've realised your undergrad was from Manchester which is a great uni?! Not a bad thing to have on your CV at all, I'm really considering Manchester for my PhD. MA is in medical law and medical ethics (which is why it's an MA and not an LLM I guess) but it's run in the law school so all in all a bit of a strange programme *

MA in medical ethics from kings is very good! Well done!
Manchester is okay, nothing big compared to the likes of Warwick, kings, Nottingham etc.
Are you also working? As a solicitor?
MA in medical ethics from kings is very good! Well done!
Manchester is okay, nothing big compared to the likes of Warwick, kings, Nottingham etc.
Are you also working? As a solicitor?

Haha thanks, I could've just done medical law and I kinda wish I hadn't taken the ethics part now but oh well. I prefer the law stuff but I thought ethics would add something different to my CV.*
Manchester has a really good reputation though, maybe it doesn't pack the same international punch that Warwick and KCL do but it's a great uni. Did you enjoy your time there?
I'm not a solicitor, I work in clinical research in the NHS. My job isn't legal but there's a surprising amount of law involved - I basically advise doctors and dentists how to best conduct their research, which means being mindful of law such as where participants will be adults lacking capacity or children, data protection and who can access data/what they can do with it, laws around the use of human tissue, clinical trials and EU law, etc. I really enjoy it and it pays better than friends of mine who are working in regional firms so that's a bonus!*
Reply 45
Original post by infairverona
Haha thanks, I could've just done medical law and I kinda wish I hadn't taken the ethics part now but oh well. I prefer the law stuff but I thought ethics would add something different to my CV.*
Manchester has a really good reputation though, maybe it doesn't pack the same international punch that Warwick and KCL do but it's a great uni. Did you enjoy your time there?
I'm not a solicitor, I work in clinical research in the NHS. My job isn't legal but there's a surprising amount of law involved - I basically advise doctors and dentists how to best conduct their research, which means being mindful of law such as where participants will be adults lacking capacity or children, data protection and who can access data/what they can do with it, laws around the use of human tissue, clinical trials and EU law, etc. I really enjoy it and it pays better than friends of mine who are working in regional firms so that's a bonus!*

That sounds very interesting and also compliments your MA in medical law!
Great job! :smile:
Maybe someone from Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/Warwick/Bristol/Durham/kings or Nottingham wouldn't compare to someone from Sheffield Hallam but university of Manchester and Sheffield Hallam can easily be slotted against each other in terms of repute.

Just go on LinkedIn and see where graduates of these two types of unis are working.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending