Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ban parents from open days says private school head Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...mistress-says/

Students should stop taking parents to university open days as it fuels the safe-spaces culture among the ‘snowflake’ generation, the head of a leading private school has said.
    So anyone who's taken a parent to a uni open day, do you think it was helpful, harmful or something else?
    Anyone who went on open days without a parent, are you happy with the way it went or do you think it would have been better to have a parent along?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I didn't take a parent. Wish I had done - sure there were questions they could have thought of that I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    depends on what your parents are like
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Anyone who went on open days without a parent, are you happy with the way it went or do you think it would have been better to have a parent along?
    I went without a parent and found it to be a great experience as i formed an opinion by myself, after all its you that's going to spend 3+ years there not your parent.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I am so relieved my parents didn't come with me to most of the open days, tbh. When I went to the Oxford open day (and when I worked on them in subsequent years), there were ALWAYS without fail lots of parents asking really dumb questions and embarrassing the life out of their child. No doubt my parents would have been the same :eek:

My dad drove to to Manchester Uni, which was quite a funny experience. By the time I'd got there, I already decided against applying - it just felt too far away. But without me iterating this to him, after the open day he said, "well we may as well drive around and see the city, since you're never coming back here!" :rofl:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I take my mum to uni open days. My parents are quite lax academically. They want me to do well, if I don't do my work or try they'll get mad, but as long as I did my best they're fine with it. So when it comes to uni open days, my parents can ask tutors questions I forget. Or give a second opinion so I don't get 'swept away' in the hype and marketing. The only open day my parents didn't accompany me to was Cambridge, which is actually my first choice, but only because it was organised by my college to save individual costs. So we went as one large group of students and a few teachers. Honestly, though, I find my parents accompanying me to be helpful. But that's got to be subjective - since some don't get on with their parents, or just want a bit more independence.

My only issue was when it came to York my mum kept mentioning how I want to apply to Cambridge which just made me feel awkward. She keeps on mentioning it to people, I don't think she realises that it's just making it worse - if I don't get the grades I want, I'll just have to explain to even more people why I'm not going to Cambridge.

My parents didn't go with me to any open days. I only went to one open day anyway, out of the five unis I applied to, and my uncle, sis and little cousin went along with me, but didn't tag along with me (weren't allowed to lol) and went touring around instead.

It's good that my parents didn't go, my mum always asks silly questions but a part of me is sad that they never played much part in supporting me for uni applications.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...mistress-says/

So anyone who's taken a parent to a uni open day, do you think it was helpful, harmful or something else?
    I went to three open days. I took my Grandad to two of them as I thought he would be more impartial than my parents, and that was a great decision. He went with me to some of the talks, but I went and spoke to people by myself as well.

I took my Dad to my last open day and that was fine because again, he let me go around and do what I wanted, but I would have hated it if I hadn't had this freedom.

At one of the open days I went to there was this really embarrassing parent who kept asking an admissions tutor what his daughter's chances were of getting into a course, and the poor tutor was trying to explain that without knowing her AS grades, Personal Statement etc that it was impossible to say, but this guy kept asking in a room full of people. I felt so sorry for the daughter!

And at an offer day, we were being shown accommodation, and there were these really pushy parents who wouldn't even let their kids pick their own rooms. One was saying that her kid couldn't cook but she'd rather him go self-catered because she thought the rooms looked nicer, and the kid couldn't get a word in edgeways.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not all parents are the pushy naggy type as he is making them out to be and, as pointed out in the thread, some can raise valid questions that students themselves may have forgotten about. I personally wouldn't and would advise others not tot ake their parents, but suggesting a ban is really just throwing your toys out of the pram.

ReputationRep:
    I went to two open days alone, and my mum tagged along for the one at Cambridge (mainly because I couldn't afford any other transport and partially because she was excited to go).
    It was nice being alone for the one's at Warwick and Birmingham because I was able to quickly structure my day with any bother. It was alright when my mum came to Cambridge with me, albeit a little bit awkward when I babbled about neuroscience to one of the professors but it was okay. It felt like I had some moral support as it was rather daunting visiting Cambridge.

All in all, it really depends on upon what your folks are like, neither of my parents went into higher education so neither of them would've known what to say or do, so it was best that I went alone for most of my open days.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.