Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello I need some advice about my future. I am 19 years old and have just finished my third year at college doing A levels in th UK. For GCSE's I achieved 2A*'s and 7A's and 2 B's. For A levels I chose Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics.

In my first and second year I did not do too well because I had some issues. In my second year I decided to retake everything and do 15 exams which did not end up too well, I got DCC. I decided to retake in my third year which was this year and I had 11 exams because I did not retake some of the maths exams that I achieved an A grade in.

This year I feel really apprehensive about my results. I need AAA for my firm offer which is the Warwick for Computer Science. If I do not meet my offer and do not get into university what do you advice I should do? Retake one last time? If that is the case then it should be an easy year in terms of work for me so It would basically be like a gpa year and I would be a productive as possible.

I'm not sure what it is, I do really well in past papers at home in timed conditions, well as in A* well. I make really odd mistakes in exams and it is frustrating. The only reason to this that I can think of is because of my terrible sleep cycle as I had 3 hour max sleep for most of my exams.

Thanks, please advise.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I feel like this depends on how many exams you want to retake. If you took 15 exams and that naturally didn't end well, then took 11 exams this year and don't do well again maybe the issue here is how many exams you're trying to cram in at once. If it didn't work twice would it really work a third time?

On the other hand if you only need to resit one or two exams that's far more manageable.

Of course this assumes you won't get in. You may fall a little short of your offer but Warwick (or another university) may still offer you a place. Failing that you may have options to make up the lower grades at university.

I don't feel like a third series of retakes is going to be beneficial if you've already done it twice. At this point I think you'd want to change your approach. Simply retaking is not your only option though.

As a side note, I won't pry into your circumstances but you mentioned "some issues" in your first year, hence the retakes. If you've got extenuating circumstances make sure your university knows. Your GCSE results prove you're more than capable of AAA at A Level and that this isn't an issue with your ability. Not to mention how trying to do all your exams in one year isn't at all an ideal situation. Getting something like BBB or even AAC may be enough, given how you've done it. But that's something you need to discuss with your university choices when the time comes.

Good luck for your results next week and good luck when you start computer science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I feel like this depends on how many exams you want to retake. If you took 15 exams and that naturally didn't end well, then took 11 exams this year and don't do well again maybe the issue here is how many exams you're trying to cram in at once. If it didn't work twice would it really work a third time?

On the other hand if you only need to resit one or two exams that's far more manageable.

Of course this assumes you won't get in. You may fall a little short of your offer but Warwick (or another university) may still offer you a place. Failing that you may have options to make up the lower grades at university.

I don't feel like a third series of retakes is going to be beneficial if you've already done it twice. At this point I think you'd want to change your approach. Simply retaking is not your only option though.

As a side note, I won't pry into your circumstances but you mentioned "some issues" in your first year, hence the retakes. If you've got extenuating circumstances make sure your university knows. Your GCSE results prove you're more than capable of AAA at A Level and that this isn't an issue with your ability. Not to mention how trying to do all your exams in one year isn't at all an ideal situation. Getting something like BBB or even AAC may be enough, given how you've done it. But that's something you need to discuss with your university choices when the time comes.

Good luck for your results next week and good luck when you start computer science.
    Thanks a lot for replying and for the advice, I really appreciate it. I completely agree with you. As I said I have had no troubles with A levels in terms of working at home and I have been working hard for the past few years. Maybe doing too many exams is not a good thing, but I did not want to waste extra years. I will say that I was 100% prepared for these exams despite doing 11 this year but because I had so many I felt a bit overwhelmed.

The thing is, If I do retakes and say have about 6 or 7 exams that should not be a problem because I have all my resources and I know exactly what to do for revision. I definitely want to go to a Russel Group uni and do Computer science especially because I know I am fully capable of achieving the grades but I'm quite sure I haven't this year.

Also Universities do not except my circumstances as extenuating even though I believe that is a relative concept.

So If I retake I thought I should be really productive this year e.g. take on a part time job and start preparing for my degree etc.

Also what approach would you suggest? I really would like a degree and I want to do Computer Science.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kira Yagami)
    Thanks a lot for replying and for the advice, I really appreciate it. I completely agree with you. As I said I have had no troubles with A levels in terms of working at home and I have been working hard for the past few years. Maybe doing too many exams is not a good thing, but I did not want to waste extra years. I will say that I was 100% prepared for these exams despite doing 11 this year but because I had so many I felt a bit overwhelmed.

The thing is, If I do retakes and say have about 6 or 7 exams that should not be a problem because I have all my resources and I know exactly what to do for revision. I definitely want to go to a Russel Group uni and do Computer science especially because I know I am fully capable of achieving the grades but I'm quite sure I haven't this year.

Also Universities do not except my circumstances as extenuating even though I believe that is a relative concept.

So If I retake I thought I should be really productive this year e.g. take on a part time job and start preparing for my degree etc.

Also what approach would you suggest? I really would like a degree and I want to do Computer Science.
    I think you've been unintentionally quite counter productive about it. You wanted to save time by taking all your exams at once but the effect is that it overwhelmed you and thus you've ended up spending more time than you wanted. That's pretty conclusive evidence that trying to cram it all in has the exact opposite effect. Not your fault, you didn't necessarily know what would happen but it's something to learn from. Do fewer things really well rather than lots of things poorly.

That said 6/7 exams isn't unreasonable and amounts to what a standard AS/A2 year would look like. So you should be able to cope with that. Anymore and I'd be considering other options. That said it's impossible to say what until you've actually got some results and know what you need to work on (if anything).

Don't fret about the time it's taking either. I spent 4 years at college (not due to resits, I just didn't know what I wanted to do) and then took a gap year. I'll be starting university in September (Portsmouth for Forensic Computing) and it's really not an issue. I find that having the extra time to work, earn more money and get experience was well worth the time. So don't look at it all as a bad thing.

I think you need to wait for now until you get your results and take a serious look at what exactly you need to do. If you don't have many resits and think you can do them in one year then go for it. Resit next year and get your place at university sorted for September 2017. If you've got a lot of exams to sit consider if you'll be able to sit them all in one year. Maybe you'll have 2 exams you got a D in and can either sit them both, hoping for BB or sit just one and aim for a high A. That's the sort of thing you need to consider for yourself. See if you can get resits during other points of the year or if you'll have to sit them all in May/June.

And I presume you've already checked that your university allows resits? I know some Russell Groups demand you get X grades without doing any resits.

For now wait until you get results and go from there. This may all prove to be completely pointless because you've passed everything with the right grades, or you may get offered a place anyway. It's impossible to make any major plans until you know what your standing is.

ReputationRep:
    You may find some Russell Group computer science courses in clearing? Make sure you have a look the night before results day, and have the phone numbers for any you would like to try

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.