Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just wondering is theology just a posh name for religious studies, regarding that one cannot do theology for an a-level subject but can do rs, or are they different?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Well, RS is a watery, hand-wavey version of theology. Theology, I think, is very much as its name suggests - the study of deities / theism - whereas RS nowadays is more focused on ethics and stuff which really doesn't belong in theology.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I think Theology tends to focus more on the Christian Religion, whereas RS gives equal attention to them all. I think that there are some opportunities for broadening the study of religion to capture different traditions within a theology course. I'm doing an English/Theology joint-honours degree course in September, so hopefully this is the right answer.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colemanator)
    just wondering is theology just a posh name for religious studies, regarding that one cannot do theology for an a-level subject but can do rs, or are they different?
    You can do theology at A-level (or at least, you used to be able to). It's just that very, very few schools offer it. I knew a chap who went to a Jesuit school in Northern Ireland who had an A-level in theology.

They're not the same - RS is more philosophical. Both would serve as a good precursor to a theology degree though, I guess. If it is philosophy you are interested in, you'd be better to take philosophy A-level (if your school/college offers it) over RS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phawkins1988)
    You can do theology at A-level (or at least, you used to be able to). It's just that very, very few schools offer it. I knew a chap who went to a Jesuit school in Northern Ireland who had an A-level in theology.

They're not the same - RS is more philosophical. Both would serve as a good precursor to a theology degree though, I guess. If it is philosophy you are interested in, you'd be better to take philosophy A-level (if your school/college offers it) over RS.
    I never knew that :rolleyes: . I wonder how different it is.

ReputationRep:
    Theology generally more aimed towards Christianity, whereas RS is more general and also looks at ethics.

ReputationRep:
    would studying lukes gospel be theology or rs?

ReputationRep:
    theology is almost entirely christian if you study it at university apparently..
    only a few uni's do other religions too!

ReputationRep:
    i thought i did theology at A level this year lol, well our teachers called it theology and on all our work sheets it said 'theology handouts' etc
    but on our exam papers it said religeous studies

ReputationRep:
    I take OCR religious studies which is one half philosophy of religion (proofs for the existance of god, the mind body problem, the problem of evil and suffering etc etc) and the other half is the study of a religion of your school's coice (ie theology). in my case it's buddhism but it can be judaism, islam, hinduism or christianity. as for it being 'watery'..whatever!

ReputationRep:
    same with me helen.

On timetables and stuff it had always said Theology, was only in May when we got our exam sheet that I realised I was actually doing AQA Religious Studies.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 29, 2007

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.