• Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Ask us anything!

Peer Support Volunteers (or PSV as they're often called) are very skilled, trained people that are tasked with looking after our more vulnerable members. The role of a member of the PSV is to respond to any posts that contain current suicidal and/or self-harm related thoughts and to get in contact with the person who's posted it, they make sure people know they've been heard and signpost them to amazing services that can help such as Nightline, Samaritans and Childline.

Deyesy, a member of the PSV has volunteered to take any questions you might have about the role!

For more information about the Peer Support Volunteers and how to join, see here.

Disclaimer: We want everyone to be able to take part in this, but we cannot answer sensitive questions regarding moderation or members of the community specifically. The Community Team would be happy to discuss moderation with you in Ask the Community Team (AtCT). You can, however, ask about what we would do in certain situations, etc.! Please don't ask any mean questions either.

AMA participants:
    Participants and bios
    Deyesy:
    Bio
    I'm Deyesy (my actual name is Chris) and I'm part of the Peer Support Volunteer (PSV) team along with *Interrobang*, BurstingBubbles, moonkatt, randdom and shadowdweller. Our role is to respond to any posts which contain present suicidal and/or self-harm thoughts and get in get contact with the person who's posted it.

We let them know that someone has heard what they're saying and that someone has seen that they're going through a difficult time. We signpost to them to places such The Samaritans, Nightline or Childline who have volunteers trained to deal with this type of content and explain to them the reasons behind their post being edited or in incredibly rare circumstances, why their post has been removed.

We do this on top of supporting our own sections (in my instance; mental health) and it's a really rewarding role.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Deyesy why did you decide to join the PSV team?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    How did the PSV start?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Deyesy why did you decide to join the PSV team?
    This'll sound really cliché but I've always been interested in peer support - possibly because of my past but I don't know I just absolutely love the idea of support coming from people of a similar demographic as you and that there's always someone 'there' for you even if no-one else is.

I volunteer for a listening service in Manchester which provides peer support between 8pm and 8am every night in term and is something I absolutely adore and it's a service which is really, really appreciated by those who use it and so I just see my role on the PSV team as extension of this but on TSR. The PSV team provide a sympathetic ear for people and also nudge them ever so gently towards looking at getting some help outside of TSR - as there's only so much we can do and we do have people who say things like 'Thank you for your message, I'm going to see my GP' and so it's things like that make me want to keep doing the things the team does.

I just like the idea of helping people in a nutshell
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Deyesy - what do you feel is the most important part of your role?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Deyesy - what do you feel is the most important part of your role?
    I feel like the most important part of my role is providing an ear to those who might feel as though no-one is there for them or is willing to listen Having been that mental place before in the past, I know how important it is and what a difference to people's lives having 'an ear' - someone who is willing to acknowledge they're going through a really difficult time at the moment can make the world of difference
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    How did the PSV start?
    This is a very good question :lol:

Afaik; it was set up in response to TSR firming up it's policy on suicide. For those who have been around for ages and ages might recall that talk of suicide was allowed but we now edit/remove suicide references which could negatively impact on vulnerable users who read what has been posted.

The PSV team being set up now allows for anyone posting such content to be referred to organisations such as the Samaritans, such as Nightline who have trained volunteers to deal with things of this nature in a much more controlled environment whilst also showing that someone understands they're going through a really tough time.

We're always looking for new volunteers too!

ReputationRep:
    What do I do when stress of Alevels get too much. I can't get work done. I am tired. I just can't
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by student004)
    What do I do when stress of Alevels get too much. I can't get work done. I am tired. I just can't
    Deyesy might have some pointers for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student004)
    This is an article on how to continue being motivated until you finish your A-Levels:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/rev...re-nearly-over

I can understand that it is hard and very tiring as I am myself is finishing my A-Level exams and I find it hard to continue being motivated when I am very tired.

It is important to remember that soon these exams will be finished and if you are doing coursework just continue striving forward!

If you are tired, take a few hours and rest because if you do not you definitely cannot get much work done.

Try and motivate yourself through looking at motivational videos or quotes, or even think of good memories.

Stress affects our bodies holistically, but mainly mentally. Make sure you look after your mental health.

I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I have an anxiety disorder (diagnosed by the doctor) which makes me feel and sometimes be physically sick, have a racing heart etc. I also have a massive fear of throwing up and being ill (i hate the feeling of it and dont want it to happen in public). Ive got tablets for my heart palpitations but i still feel really ill whenever there is a trigger. I have my prom tonight and ive been trying to tell myself it will be fun and that I'm excited but ive woken up still feeling ill. Any advice on how to stop this sickness quickly?

ReputationRep:
    I created a new thread yesterday and it still hasn't appeared. Does anyone know where to find it?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ewarner2000)
    I have an anxiety disorder (diagnosed by the doctor) which makes me feel and sometimes be physically sick, have a racing heart etc. I also have a massive fear of throwing up and being ill (i hate the feeling of it and dont want it to happen in public). Ive got tablets for my heart palpitations but i still feel really ill whenever there is a trigger. I have my prom tonight and ive been trying to tell myself it will be fun and that I'm excited but ive woken up still feeling ill. Any advice on how to stop this sickness quickly?
    Sorry for the late reply! If you have the same problem in the future sometimes sucking a mint or something can help- don't ask me why but there you go did it go alright?

(Original post by dtin)
    I created a new thread yesterday and it still hasn't appeared. Does anyone know where to find it?
    Has it appeared now? Mental health threads can take a little while to come up as they have to be individually looked at and approved by members of the support team or the CT. It's rarely more than 24 hours though, and usually a lot quicker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Sorry for the late reply! If you have the same problem in the future sometimes sucking a mint or something can help- don't ask me why but there you go did it go alright?

Has it appeared now? Mental health threads can take a little while to come up as they have to be individually looked at and approved by members of the support team or the CT. It's rarely more than 24 hours though, and usually a lot quicker.
    Thank you for the advice- I'll try it the next time theres something going on. In the end it webt brilliantly and i felt a little better after getting my hair styled. 😊
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ewarner2000)
    Thank you for the advice- I'll try it the next time theres something going on. In the end it webt brilliantly and i felt a little better after getting my hair styled. 😊
    That's really good to hear! Well done you!

ReputationRep:
    If I come across a post in a random thread that makes me worried about the state of mind of poster, how do I alert the PSV Team? Is it just with the "Report Post" thing? Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by OxFossil)
    If I come across a post in a random thread that makes me worried about the state of mind of poster, how do I alert the PSV Team? Is it just with the "Report Post" thing? Thanks
    Yep, just report it make sure you do it under the suicide/self harm option though so it gets bumped up to the top of the queue. Thank you!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Yep, just report it make sure you do it under the suicide/self harm option though so it gets bumped up to the top of the queue. Thank you!
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have a phobia of throwing up that I've had for about 10 years and it drives me mad because I feel so trapped in so many situations and it stops me from doing things I otherwise would, such as going out to certain things or staying over somewhere etc. It got a lot better after a while of counselling and stuff but certain things trigger it again. I have anxiety too. It's hard to stop feeling sick because it's often triggered by such strong anxiousness but remember that that's the only reason and you need to calm down and do what your body tells you, for example yesterday I felt sick and my friend told me to have a sip of water but that made it worse so I just stopped and had some time alone to calm down. I hope it gets better
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Lilian0208)
    I have a phobia of throwing up that I've had for about 10 years and it drives me mad because I feel so trapped in so many situations and it stops me from doing things I otherwise would, such as going out to certain things or staying over somewhere etc. It got a lot better after a while of counselling and stuff but certain things trigger it again. I have anxiety too. It's hard to stop feeling sick because it's often triggered by such strong anxiousness but remember that that's the only reason and you need to calm down and do what your body tells you, for example yesterday I felt sick and my friend told me to have a sip of water but that made it worse so I just stopped and had some time alone to calm down. I hope it gets better
    That's such a lovely thing for you to say, thank you!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.