We're the Peer Support Volunteers, ask us anything! Watch

username3025040
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are all new threads in this forum sent for review before posting or was it just mine? o.o
Deyesy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by orderofthelotus)
Are all new threads in this forum sent for review before posting or was it just mine? o.o
In the mental health forum, all of them are
username3025040
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Deyesy)
In the mental health forum, all of them are
Thank you.
ShyGuy_16
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Paracosm)

Peer Support Volunteers
Ask us anything!

Peer Support Volunteers (or PSV as they're often called) are very skilled, trained people that are tasked with looking after our more vulnerable members. The role of a member of the PSV is to respond to any posts that contain current suicidal and/or self-harm related thoughts and to get in contact with the person who's posted it, they make sure people know they've been heard and signpost them to amazing services that can help such as Nightline, Samaritans and Childline.

Deyesy, a member of the PSV has volunteered to take any questions you might have about the role!

For more information about the Peer Support Volunteers and how to join, see here.

Disclaimer: We want everyone to be able to take part in this, but we cannot answer sensitive questions regarding moderation or members of the community specifically. The Community Team would be happy to discuss moderation with you in Ask the Community Team (AtCT). You can, however, ask about what we would do in certain situations, etc.! Please don't ask any mean questions either.

AMA participants:
Participants and bios
Deyesy:
Bio
I'm Deyesy (my actual name is Chris) and I'm part of the Peer Support Volunteer (PSV) team along with *Interrobang*, BurstingBubbles, moonkatt, randdom and shadowdweller. Our role is to respond to any posts which contain present suicidal and/or self-harm thoughts and get in get contact with the person who's posted it.

We let them know that someone has heard what they're saying and that someone has seen that they're going through a difficult time. We signpost to them to places such The Samaritans, Nightline or Childline who have volunteers trained to deal with this type of content and explain to them the reasons behind their post being edited or in incredibly rare circumstances, why their post has been removed.

We do this on top of supporting our own sections (in my instance; mental health) and it's a really rewarding role.
Hey my post which did mention suicide was moved here but I can't access the thread...
Deyesy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ShyGuy_16)
Hey my post which did mention suicide was moved here but I can't access the thread...
You can't access it because it's been moved there. Only the Peer Support team can access this forum. Only a member of the team has gotten in touch, it'll hopefully be moved back
ShyGuy_16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can't access it because it's been moved there. Only the Peer Support team can access this forum. Only a member of the team has gotten in touch, it'll hopefully be moved back
Oh so I'll still get advice??
Deyesy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ShyGuy_16)
Oh so I'll still get advice??
The peer support member will be there to offer you support. Once it's moved back, you'll be able to get the advice you asked for
ShyGuy_16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The peer support member will be there to offer you support. Once it's moved back, you'll be able to get the advice you asked for
Oh OK great thanks!
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
Why, if given that 70% of psychiatric patients smoke, what is the sense of the authorities in Scotland in introducing a blanket ban on smoking within mental hospitals?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
I’m currently in sixth form and I struggle with depression and anxiety. Only 2 teachers (the sixth form head/admin) know and they’ve really supported me through my year 12 and now year 13 years, but I’m worried for when I go to university. I will have no support system and I’ve recently tried to avoid both teachers because I usually speak to them regularly to check how I’m doing. Last year I just stopped coming to school I didn’t see the point in anything at all and I was at a real low. I’m so scared I’m going to have a sort of relapse at uni and I’m going to end up doing something stupid. When I’m in that frame of mind I’m totally unpredictable and my thought processes are really negative to the point I would do anything to make them stop.

Since I’ve been avoiding them I feel like I’m suppressing my emotions by having no one to talk to and I know that I’m not going to be able to cope. I can’t talk to my friends because they’ve never experienced anything like this and I wouldn’t want to freak them out and out that pressure on them.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 years ago
Hi just wondering what is the confidentiality agreement self-harming?
How do you judge whether it needs to be addressed?
Also, what do you if the person who posted it was under 16?
Deyesy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi just wondering what is the confidentiality agreement self-harming?
How do you judge whether it needs to be addressed?
Also, what do you if the person who posted it was under 16?
Hey there Regarding confidentiality: if you mean, 'do we pass the information on to other organisations?', we don't; everything stays on TSR and nothing is forwarded to anyone else.

We judge whether it needs to be addressed based on what has been said. There's a number of factors such as how graphic the post is, the type of post (is it a thread that's looking for advice? etc.), how long ago was the self-harming, will the post potentially trigger other users.

Age doesn't matter either. If you're 12, if you're 18, if you're even older than that, the same guidelines apply. It's a uniform service. We may suggest you speak to a friend, a teacher, a close friend about how you're feeling but we won't ever go beyond that.

I hope this helps
Amber Davies
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i have had a few panic attack, sort of things (nothing too major) but I'm having problems being confident around everyone, even my friends and i feel like I'm becoming more and more distant to the people that matter most to me cause i feel that they hate me or judge me.
ughhh i sound so petty, sorry
but like i honestly would like some tips in how to be more confident at school including participation in lessons
thank you x
StephanieMH
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey,
How would i go about applying to be a peer support volunteer? I am currently in my final year of mental health nursing and I feel I could really help others at a time of crisis.
qasim-96
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by StephanieMH)
Hey,
How would i go about applying to be a peer support volunteer? I am currently in my final year of mental health nursing and I feel I could really help others at a time of crisis.
I wanted to be a PSV too since mental health is probably one of my stronger points but I doubt i’ll be able to 😂
StephanieMH
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why won't you be able too?..

(Original post by Kevin Hodge)
I wanted to be a PSV too since mental health is probably one of my stronger points but I doubt i’ll be able to 😂
qasim-96
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why won't you be able too?..
My community record is pretty poor.
Anonymous #4
Report 2 years ago
I got a piece of mail saying that the Peer Support Volunteer team would be in contact with me I was just wondering how do they get in contact with me???
Deyesy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey,
Hey Sorry for not getting in touch sooner but this thread should give you more information: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5127382

(Original post by Anonymous)
I got a piece of mail saying that the Peer Support Volunteer team would be in contact with me I was just wondering how do they get in contact with me???
They'll get in contact with you via private message
Anonymous #5
Report 2 years ago
I recently just got rid of an eating disorder and I’m in s5 will medicine still accept me?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (491)
59.59%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.22%
No- I want it (234)
28.4%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.8%

Watched Threads