Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am 18 years old (finished A levels in June) and am looking to apply for a summer job so that I can save a little bit of money before I go to university in October (will be studying Pharmacy at the University of Bath, btw). I realise this is a little late, however I have been preoccupied with other things (holiday, dealing with family friends staying over, etc). My problem is that I am struggling to write my CV because I have few extracurricular activities; I pursued a few in the past (football, tennis, piano) however I dropped out due to a lack of interest. Would those activities be worth mentioning (since I haven't been actively doing them for several years)?

Has anyone else been in a situation like this? I would love to hear your experiences. Also, how would you prepare for your first job interview?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by thewindshifts)
    I am 18 years old (finished A levels in June) and am looking to apply for a summer job so that I can save a little bit of money before I go to university in October (will be studying Pharmacy at the University of Bath, btw). I realise this is a little late, however I have been preoccupied with other things (holiday, dealing with family friends staying over, etc). My problem is that I am struggling to write my CV because I have few extracurricular activities; I pursued a few in the past (football, tennis, piano) however I dropped out due to a lack of interest. Would those activities be worth mentioning (since I haven't been actively doing them for several years)?

Has anyone else been in a situation like this? I would love to hear your experiences. Also, how would you prepare for your first job interview?
    Id still mention the hobbies- even though you dont do them any more, they are still worth mentioning.
    Id apply to somewhere like mcdonalds- where you have the option of keeping the job on and going back in the holidays. Or possibly also working at a branch near uni as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Id still mention the hobbies- even though you dont do them any more, they are still worth mentioning.
    Id apply to somewhere like mcdonalds- where you have the option of keeping the job on and going back in the holidays. Or possibly also working at a branch near uni as well.
    Okay, thanks for your advice
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad

You could always post a CV in TSR's dedicated forum, and maybe someone can help you out! Also, I hate to say it, but you've left it very late to get a summer job, so I would look into temping agencies instead.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you'd find anything now for summer...I mean where I work the jobs for Christmas are going live in a couple of weeks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    I doubt you'd find anything now for summer...I mean where I work the jobs for Christmas are going live in a couple of weeks...
    Would it be too late to apply for Christmas jobs when I move into uni (likely end of September), since I live so far away from my uni city?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Would it be too late to apply for Christmas jobs when I move into uni (likely end of September), since I live so far away from my uni city?
    They normally look at hiring Christmas staff in September/October, so not at all.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.