The Student Room Group

Computer Studies

Hi guys

I am doing computer studies coursework and got told to do A test plan and Validation rules. Have any of you done this before or even know what it is or how to do it.
(edited 7 years ago)
It would help if we had more information on the task set, so we know what the actual validation rules would be, but you basically have to make sure your program is reliable by entering a series of test data.

On the basis of validation rules, I am not entirely sure what that means. But I would think it simply means to list a series of rules which your program should follow. For example; 1. The user should only be able to enter a variable using letters. Any other input containing symbols, numbers, or blank spaces should be recognised as invalid.

For a test plan, you should basically make a table with the following columns; test data; expected outcome; actual outcome; correct/incorrect. In the test data column, you should try and list every possible variable the user could enter. I don't know what you're task is as I completed my gcse last year, but read your task and just note down what possibilities should be seen as 'correct' and therefore allow your program to continue. Do the same for variables which should be seen as 'incorrect'. The more detailed you can be, the better. Even though the user should only be able to enter a variable of a letter, you should still test that this is the case. (You need evidence to prove this to the examiner). So don't forget to test symbols, numbers, even a blank input. If the input has a limit in length, or has to be capitalised or lower case, ensure you test this is the case also.
Now for the 'expected outcome' column, simply write what your program should do and what the user should see if you input this variable. So if the program should continue and carry out the task, state this and what exactly that task is. If the variable is incorrect, and therefore a message of some sort should pop up showing the user that this is an invalid input, write this. By doing this it allows you to easily compare to the actual outcome, and allows you to identify any errors in your program.
For the 'actual outcome' column, just state what happens when you enter the test data specified. Don't lie and make out like your program is working correctly if it isn't. Identifying flaws in your code is a massive part in programming and you earn marks by developing and improving your code to get rid of these errors. I would also recommend you use some screenshots of this testing stage, to prove to the examiner that this data is real.
Finally, in the 'correct/ incorrect' column, simply state whether the program is doing what it should be. Personally, I like to use ticks or crosses in this column. You can copy and paste them from the internet.
Once your table is complete, try and write a short paragraph as a conclusion to your test data. Talk about what you found, what was working well and what wasn't. Talk about how you aim to improve the program, and how you plan on doing this. If the program wasn't working correctly, try and identify why.

I'm not sure if you understood all that as I'm not so good at explaining, but if you have any more questions feel free to ask!:smile:
For the test plan do you do it for each line that will be outputted, so I am using Python, will I do the test plan according to what is outputted on its shell?
Reply 3
Original post by jackymang12345
For the test plan do you do it for each line that will be outputted, so I am using Python, will I do the test plan according to what is outputted on its shell?

I've finished my Computing GCSE and ended up with an A* (A* on both coursework tasks also). Private message me your Skype and I'll be glad to help you with whatever you need.
thanks
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest