The Student Room Group

How difficult to get an A in Higher Modern Studies?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by amydentistry
I come from Aberdeen and my teacher has similar predictions for crime and the law! I feel that there are about 40 potential essay questions, how do I even begin learning things? Do you advise I learn about 9 different bullet pointed essay plans for each of the three topics??

What I did was learn 5 essays for each topic and use knowledge/examples/analysis that I could fit into other essays if mine didnt come up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's my favourite subject. I always get the highest mark in my school (not a nerd, just love politics).
Really easy to get an A in mods. All you need to do is keep an eye on what's going on in the world to use examples. And also, remember that the questions are soooo open!
When I'm stuck I talk about anything at all that, make it relate to the question and wham, full marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I come from Aberdeen and my teacher has similar predictions for crime and the law! I feel that there are about 40 potential essay questions, how do I even begin learning things? Do you advise I learn about 9 different bullet pointed essay plans for each of the three topics??

From Aberdeen too!
I don't study crime and the law. We do social inequality 😭
What do you mean by the three topics? In that unit or do you mean the three units?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never memorise an essay. The questions are designed to be "Complex" and get you thinking on the spot (like a politician being asked questions). Build up facts and analytical points on each topic area. Know Rebuttals. If you need to give both sides to a point. This is the wonderful subject which allows for your creative skills to come to life. For example, I got marks for making the link between Nigel Farage in a pub and the voting behaviour of the working class men that vote UKIP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds like a good idea, there will only be about 9 for each topic, there's just a lot of ways the questions can be asked :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Justin.Reid2000
Never memorise an essay. The questions are designed to be "Complex" and get you thinking on the spot (like a politician being asked questions). Build up facts and analytical points on each topic area. Know Rebuttals. If you need to give both sides to a point. This is the wonderful subject which allows for your creative skills to come to life. For example, I got marks for making the link between Nigel Farage in a pub and the voting behaviour of the working class men that vote UKIP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Say that to the person who got 55/60 in my exam last year highest in my class loool and all I did was memorise all my essays that I wrote out and I did the same for politics as well:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xdabex
Say that to the person who got 55/60 in my exam last year highest in my class loool and all I did was memorise all my essays that I wrote out and I did the same for politics as well:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was it the exact essays that came up? I just apply my political knowledge to whatever I get.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Justin.Reid2000
Was it the exact essays that came up? I just apply my political knowledge to whatever I get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

not rly but some essays were quite similiar so i twisted the ku i had to suit the question, btw you can actually make up random examples on the spot
to support your ku, the markers wont check lol
Original post by xdabex
not rly but some essays were quite similiar so i twisted the ku i had to suit the question, btw you can actually make up random examples on the spot
to support your ku, the markers wont check lol

I know, that's what I did last year for the most part and got 100%. The markers aren't all qualified either. Heaps of them marking but failed the marking test...yes, I know!
We r doing Africa for world issues so planning on making everything up. Data is hard to find in places like Swaziland anyway. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone planning on doing Advanced Higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
I would encourage you guys to memorise essays that's what got me such a high mark last year! Look at the last couple of years past papers and try and recognise a pattern, then it's easier to plan your revision. As for taking Advanced Higher it's great, I would strongly recommend taking it, it's a lot of fun and the dissertation is good experience for univeristy!
any predictions for the social inequality questions?
Anyone doing Syria as a topic?
Does anyone have an essay plan for electoral systems in the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucy__gerrard22
Does anyone have an essay plan for electoral systems in the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unlikely to come up. Was there last year.
Just know the positives and negatives of FPTP and AMS. If you have a minute to spare, make a point about STV resulting in greater rep from the ranking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am going through the old higher paper and I found this one question B5 totally blanked "To what extent is poverty the most important factor affecting health?" I dont think this was a major part of the new course or was it?
Reply 36
Original post by Muhammad Baig
I am going through the old higher paper and I found this one question B5 totally blanked "To what extent is poverty the most important factor affecting health?" I dont think this was a major part of the new course or was it?

It is a part of the Social Inequality unit, you would just use that as your named factor in your intro, and poverty would be your first paragraph. Then proceed to do impact of Social Class on health etc.
Original post by Muhammad Baig

Don't know but you would talk about poverty e.g how 85% of kids in damp flats have respiratory problems.

Then talk about possibly Gender. How biologically men and women differ.

You can talk about race. E.g Indians are x3 more likely to get diabetes than Scots with their high salt diets.

You can also talk about lifestyle choices. Relates strongly to poverty as coping mechanisms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Hi guys anyone got any predictions for democracy questions?

Don't want to learn it all obviously so going to do:

Voting behaviour
Unelected bodies influencing decision making
Representatives holding government to account
Powers of parliament.

What are you guys gonna do?
Original post by RossRFC
Hi guys anyone got any predictions for democracy questions?

Don't want to learn it all obviously so going to do:

Voting behaviour
Unelected bodies influencing decision making
Representatives holding government to account
Powers of parliament.

What are you guys gonna do?

I think that's a wise selection Ross. Unlikely that voting systems would come up again.
Maybe also how people influence govt, pressure groups etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending