The Student Room Group

How difficult to get an A in Higher Modern Studies?

Scroll to see replies

If I was to make a guess about one of the Democracy essays, I believe it will be a 12 mark on the accountability of the government. E.g Executive vs legislature or the role of parliamentary representatives or the power of the executive. I usually have good judgement but mods is so open! 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see your point however I am still sure they might ask ' Is it right for The SNP to take an independence mandate? Despite Indy ref 2014? What do you think will be the Social inequality question ? Electoral systems are viable to come up in any form? Through voting behaviour or Evaluating the systems
Original post by Muhammad Baig
I see your point however I am still sure they might ask ' Is it right for The SNP to take an independence mandate? Despite Indy ref 2014? What do you think will be the Social inequality question ? Electoral systems are viable to come up in any form? Through voting behaviour or Evaluating the systems

We shall just have to wait and see what happens. I believe the 20 marker will be on Unit 3 so, I'm almost certain we won't be seeing that type of question. That would most likely be a discuss question and 20 marks. It's a huge question.
Again, we shall see.

I'm not sure about social studies inequality. I can imagine a question regarding a specific group. E.g the impact on the group Or attempts to tackle inequality facing a group in society.

Maybe the causes of inequality also.

For democracy, I wouldn't completely count on voting systems. I don't know. But I would have thought maybe voting behaviour and accountability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Justin.Reid2000
If I was to make a guess about one of the Democracy essays, I believe it will be a 12 mark on the accountability of the government. E.g Executive vs legislature or the role of parliamentary representatives or the power of the executive. I usually have good judgement but mods is so open! 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

For an essay on holding the government to account is it alright to write about select committees, the official opposition and the HOL? Or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!
Do you think an essay question on how the government attempt to tackle social inequality (12 Marks) is possible? Talk about austerity measures?
Actually scared for this exam, not studied yet and I need it desperately for uni!! What's constitutional areas?
Reply 66
Original post by Ethan100
Do you think an essay question on how the government attempt to tackle social inequality (12 Marks) is possible? Talk about austerity measures?

It's totally possible but they had a question about how did the government try tackle inequalities with legislation before I think. I dream of this essay coming up though lol.

You could talk about Smoking Ban, Minimum Pricing, Equality Act, No Child Left Behind etc.
Original post by leoq8
It's totally possible but they had a question about how did the government try tackle inequalities with legislation before I think. I dream of this essay coming up though lol.

You could talk about Smoking Ban, Minimum Pricing, Equality Act, No Child Left Behind etc.

Okay thanks :smile:

What question do you think will come up for social inequality?

Are you doing the world powers international unit? Do you think it will be the 20 marker and also what questions?

I hope the democracy question is holding the government to account!

Are you doing the world powers international unit? Do you think it will be the 20 marker and also what questions?

My teache wrote part of one of the textbooks so he kind of had an incline on the exam and he suggested that the 20marker will come up in democracy again as no one was picking marks up in China//World Issues section
Reply 69

For Social Inequality I think they'll be quite **** tbh. Either something like how have they tried to reduce inequality or how it affects a particular group.

And yes I am, I am doing World Powers. I think it could be either checks/balances or influence in international organisations or influence on other countries.

I pray the Democracy questions is voting behaviour that'd be a dream honestly lol, role of MP would be okay, and unelected bodies influencing government would be okay.

I'll be making up so many statistics as I hardly know any
Reply 70
Original post by foodflood13
My teache wrote part of one of the textbooks so he kind of had an incline on the exam and he suggested that the 20marker will come up in democracy again as no one was picking marks up in China//World Issues section

Please no :frown:
Original post by leoq8
For Social Inequality I think they'll be quite **** tbh. Either something like how have they tried to reduce inequality or how it affects a particular group.

And yes I am, I am doing World Powers. I think it could be either checks/balances or influence in international organisations or influence on other countries.

I pray the Democracy questions is voting behaviour that'd be a dream honestly lol, role of MP would be okay, and unelected bodies influencing government would be okay.

I'll be making up so many statistics as I hardly know any

What would you write for voting behaviour?
Reply 72

How Social Class, Age, Race, Gender affect what party people vote for and electoral turnout
For essay structures what do you all recommend especially for someone that is bad at timing?
Reply 74
For essay structures what do you all recommend especially for someone that is bad at timing?

Some people do like PEEREEL and KAKAC or something but I just write lol.

I just make sure I make a point, explain it, provide and example and link back.

Social class, media, short term factors e.g image of party leader, (download the BBC bite size app)
Anyone doing China?
Original post by leoq8
Some people do like PEEREEL and KAKAC or something but I just write lol.

I just make sure I make a point, explain it, provide and example and link back.

Does that work well for you? How big does each paragraph need to be?
Point, expand, example, Link back to question - would this be sufficient enough?
Reply 78
Does that work well for you? How big does each paragraph need to be?
Point, expand, example, Link back to question - would this be sufficient enough?

My teacher said I naturally do the whole structure thing. You usually have to provide the other argument for each point.

I'd say a paragraph is usually between half a page and 3/4 of a page; depending on the size of your writing. Maybe just over a page if you are only doing 3 main body paragraphs.
Any last minute predictions for Democracy and Social issues? Drastically running out of time and gonna have to leave out learning some essays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending