Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting sixth form in September and I have decided to take Art, History, English language and English literature as separate A levels. Is it too much to be doing both Englishes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idcosta)
    I'm starting sixth form in September and I have decided to take Art, History, English language and English literature as separate A levels. Is it too much to be doing both Englishes?
    Not really, no. There will be plenty of people who will come on here to tell you you mustn't do anything except STEM subjects, but clearly you are an arts person through and through, and you must do the subjects you want to do and will do well in. Plenty of people do both.

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to anyone who would tell you it's 'too much' to take both Englishes, and it puts you at no disadvantage either! I took English Lit, Language and Media and secured 4 (good) university places, they may even commend you on your passion for English if you apply to do one at university. If you're an English-y person definitely take those subjects! You'll enjoy the A Level process so much more!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    I did both and for me personally, it wasn't that much. They did complement each other a lot and your essay writing and unseen analysis skills will improve immensely if you take both.

The only trouble I had with taking both was writing too much about language/linguistics in my Literature essays. So for me, switching between the two and writing in very different ways was a struggle for me. But I coped just fine with the workload and content.

Revision does get annoying when you have countless and countless papers flying out the back of your book though!

ReputationRep:
    art a level? would do you want to become an artist ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    I did both and for me personally, it wasn't that much. They did complement each other a lot and your essay writing and unseen analysis skills will improve immensely if you take both.

The only trouble I had with taking both was writing too much about language/linguistics in my Literature essays. So for me, switching between the two and writing in very different ways was a struggle for me. But I coped just fine with the workload and content.

Revision does get annoying when you have countless and countless papers flying out the back of your book though!
    Hey
    I hope you don't mind me asking but after you had taken both separately, did this affect your university application? With those two, what other A level subject or subjects did you take? I know you've long finished A levels lol but it's making some of us nervous at school because there was a rumour that doing both is only seen as one A level since it's already offer together already. Apparently, it's the same for maths and further maths, Business and Economics, that there is A level applied courses for these. This sounds silly though but my good friend ever since then hasn't stopped worrying that she won't get offers since she still hasn't heard from her universities yet though she sent off her application in early October. I don't know. I do remember reading a policy somewhere about economics and business but not English Language and English Literature
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    Hey
    I hope you don't mind me asking but after you had taken both separately, did this affect your university application? With those two, what other A level subject or subjects did you take? I know you've long finished A levels lol but it's making some of us nervous at school because there was a rumour that doing both is only seen as one A level since it's already offer together already. Apparently, it's the same for maths and further maths, Business and Economics, that there is A level applied courses for these. This sounds silly though but my good friend ever since then hasn't stopped worrying that she won't get offers since she still hasn't heard from her universities yet though she sent off her application in early October. I don't know. I do remember reading a policy somewhere about economics and business but not English Language and English Literature
    No it did not. What you've heard is mere gossip.

All of what you just said is not true. The separate English A-levels offer different skills and knowledge.

Tell your friend to stop worrying. It can take up to several months for unis to take a look at applications. She is not the only application admissions has to look at. She needs to have a little bit more patience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    No it did not. What you've heard is mere gossip.

All of what you just said is not true. The separate English A-levels offer different skills and knowledge.

Tell your friend to stop worrying. It can take up to several months for unis to take a look at applications. She is not the only application admissions has to look at. She needs to have a little bit more patience!
    Thanks for responding x
    I thought so too. I told her I was going to ask others, hopefully people who have done both and are already in uni which I have on her behalf. But in response to that, she told me today, how she had called up Cambridge and LSE then was told how doing both could affect her application since it doesn't apparently cover a broad range of subjects so if they were stuck on choosing an applicant where both have similar achievements/have meet their entry requirements- they would have to consider their subject combinations if the competition was high that particular year or something along those lines. I don't really understand. I'm not applying to Cambridge so I'm not bothered lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    Thanks for responding x
    I thought so too. I told her I was going to ask others, hopefully people who have done both and are already in uni which I have on her behalf. But in response to that, she told me today, how she had called up Cambridge and LSE then was told how doing both could affect her application since it doesn't apparently cover a broad range of subjects so if they were stuck on choosing an applicant where both have similar achievements/have meet their entry requirements- they would have to consider their subject combinations if the competition was high that particular year or something along those lines. I don't really understand. I'm not applying to Cambridge so I'm not bothered lol
    Yeah exactly; you're not applying to somewhere as prestigious as Cambridge. Of course universities like that will have their own rules and regulations. However, the majority of the unis will say it's fine. Cambridge and what not are stuck up - they are both separate subjects that teaches you interchangeable skills, but what you learn are completely different!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.