Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    English will probably be my eventual subject of choice, but I'm also considering Politics. The problem with Politics and Oxford is that I have Bs in both Maths and History at GCSE; indeed, my GCSEs are, for a potential Oxford applicant, rather poor overall: A*AAAAAABBB.

This seems to create problems with both PPE and MHP. I'm much more interested in MHP, as my maths skills are extremely lacking, but also have another black mark against my name History-wise: I only achieved a low B in my January AS module, and have retaken it. Even if I do come out with an A next month and am predicted A for A2, do I stand any reasonable chance? Honesty much appreciated, and, as I say, I'll probably end up picking English anyway.

Thanks,
    Louis.

ReputationRep:
    Then apply for English you dullard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter_The_Great)
    Then apply for English you dullard.
    In all probability, I will. I'd just like all the information that I can possibly get on my options to ensure that I make the correct decision. No need for aggression, I feel.

ReputationRep:
    No offense, but from what you are saying about yourself you don't seem like the Oxbridge type.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miltonkeynes)
    No offense, but from what you are saying about yourself you don't seem like the Oxbridge type.
    In terms of MHP, you may well be right. I can assure you, however, that (bar my GCSES) I'm a much better-looking English applicant, and this thread is yet another strike against Politics and in favour of English in terms of my course choice.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let them wind you up, Louis....

If you think you want to apply for MH or MHP, have a look at the HAT test. If you think you can hack that, then give it a go if that's what you want to do.

Likewise, mutatis mutandis, for English and the ELAT test.

Ignore the GCSE and A-level obsessed nerds. Getting or being predicted 3x grade A is just hurdle number 1. The tests, written work and then the interviews are what separates the men / women from the girls / boys (permute according to taste).

DtS

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, DtS. Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I don't think it'd be wise to go for MHP; English really is my strong suit, academically. (It seems you were right, Peter_The_Great, if rather blunt. )

Anyway, this thread is really rather redundant now, and I apologise for posting without thinking things over much. Please ignore.

ReputationRep:
    Don't go for PPE if your maths skills are that much lacking, as there's compulsory maths in the first year and they don't like letting people in who won't at least cope at it. It's not normal to let someone in with the expectation that they won't be able to do economics after the first year due to maths issues.

ReputationRep:
    I had a B in one of my AS History modules, which I retook in the summer and got an A in..so when I applied to ucas after the summer, the only module I put down was the one in the summer, and if your school doesn't certify your AS results then there's no problem anyway. So unless anything has changed for applying in 2008 (i've lost track of what the changes are now) then if you do better in the retake then that's all you need to put down. Anyway even if you've slipped in one module but done fine in the others you can still get an A overall..

And at the end of the day, you've just got to choose the subject which YOU want to do. If you're strongest at English and enjoy it most, then choose that. You say you're interested in Politics, but are you also interested in the history/economics/philosophy parts of PPE or MHP? Just go for the subject you actually want rather than tailoring your application just to get into Oxford.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.