Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My mom won't let me buy what I want with my own money Watch

I'm 17 and half a part time job. However my mom won't even let me buy what I want with the money I earn half the time. For example I wanted these new trainers for college and she said no because they're too expensive. I don't want to go and buy them myself or shell be really mad. I wanted a part time job so I could earn my own money and not feel guilty for spending my parents money. But I still in a way feel guilty for example I wanted a new pair of jeans but I was scared to buy them because my mom would moan and say I have too many jeans (even though I don't). Any advice?????

Btw all my money is cash so I only can spend it at shops and every time I come back she will probably ask what I've bought. Also she says if i want to buy something online I have to show it first then she decides if I can have it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 17 and half a part time job. However my mom won't even let me buy what I want with the money I earn half the time. For example I wanted these new trainers for college and she said no because they're too expensive. I don't want to go and buy them myself or shell be really mad. I wanted a part time job so I could earn my own money and not feel guilty for spending my parents money. But I still in a way feel guilty for example I wanted a new pair of jeans but I was scared to buy them because my mom would moan and say I have too many jeans (even though I don't). Any advice?????

Btw all my money is cash so I only can spend it at shops and every time I come back she will probably ask what I've bought. Also she says if i want to buy something online I have to show it first then she decides if I can have it or not.
    It's your money. Spend it on what you want.

ReputationRep:
    Your mum sounds exactly just like my mum

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Anonymous;66887418]I'm 17 and half a part time job. However my mom won't even let me buy what I want with the money I earn half the time. For example I wanted these new trainers for college and she said no because they're too expensive. I don't want to go and buy them myself or shell be really mad. I wanted a part time job so I could earn my own money and not feel guilty for spending my parents money. But I still in a way feel guilty for example I wanted a new pair of jeans but I was scared to buy them because my mom would moan and say I have too many jeans (even though I don't). Any advice?????

Btw all my money is cash so I only can spend it at shops and every time I come back she will probably ask what I've bought. Also she says if i want to buy something online I have to show it first then she decides if I can have it or not.[/
    Its your money and use it the way you feel

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to university next year?

ReputationRep:
    Mother knows best.

ReputationRep:
    Heh, my mom's the same and my solution is waiting until I leave for uni. I'd suggest talking to her, but I'm guessing you've already tried that/know if it works or not, so...

Test the waters. Buy the jeans, see how bad the fall-out is. Then at least you can gauge whether to make future purchases by whether it's worth the shouting match.

ReputationRep:

I have the same problem with my mum. Basically, shes just teaching you to spend money wisely and to build up good spending habits so that you dont end up being some lavish idiot that ends up debt. I guess its a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    Do you earn much money? maybe your mum is worried that you need to save insted of spend on random stuff.. (i would do the same)
    i suggest you just sit down with her and offer to compromise that every wage you get you'll save some money and spend the rest on what YOU want. At least then she will know some of it is being used for something she wants.. although it is your money anyway so you should just spend it on what you want

ReputationRep:
    Buy what you want, it's your money.

Open your own bank account then?

ReputationRep:
    yeah if your paid inn cash open your own account pay in al your money then spend it as you see fit it's yours you worked for it hell i mean my Dad was dead set against me getting a console so I got a job and got my self a wii as I bought it he couldn't stop me because I'd worked for it.

ReputationRep:
    Just wait however many months it is until you go to uni and then buy whatever you want. Nothing is that urgent.

ReputationRep:
    perhaps you could talk to her and agree to save 50% of your wages in (your own!) bank account and then spend what you have left on what YOU want - that might make her happier... either way it's your money so do what you like

ReputationRep:
    how on earth did it even come up in conversation, your "mom" knowing what you wanted to buy? it seems as if you willingly went and asked her for her blessing to buy these trainers. seems like that is your first problem here. does she also keep control of your money too? you should have had the guts right from the start to not tell her about your wages and not hand them over to her and realise that its YOUR MONEY therefore YOUR DECISION what you spend YOUR money on.

no offence, but this means you are whipped

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.