The Student Room Group

Masters application timeline and process?

Hi guys,

I am looking to start a Masters degree in finance. My top choice is LSE.

I am an incoming final year student in London, probably will graduate with a 2:1. My question is, what is the timeline and process of applying to LSE and other highly ranked Master's degree programmes?

Do I need teacher recommendations and things like that? Can I go straight to the Masters programme without working a few years in the industry? I seen it happen but wonder how common that is?

Thanks a lot!
Original post by volatilityskew2
Hi guys,

I am an incoming final year student in London, probably will graduate with a 2:1. My question is, what is the timeline and process of applying to LSE and other highly ranked Master's degree programmes?

Do I need teacher recommendations and things like that? Can I go straight to the Masters programme without working a few years in the industry? I seen it happen but wonder how common that is?

Thanks a lot!

It's customary to apply in the first term of your third year of undergrad, ie Oct, Nov, Dec 16 for a start in Oct 17. Check for deadlines, the most competitive courses will have deadlines, in maybe Feb or Mar, others won't. Postgradaute application processes are not centrally controlled or managed, it's up to each institution and each department and course within to decide it's application processes and timelines.

Yes, you will usually require 2 references, usually from academics on your Undergrad degree.

It has been usual for people to go straight from undergrad to Masters, but that is changing as there is little or no funding for Masters degrees, so now more people spend a few years in employment and saving up, before going back to Uni.
Original post by threeportdrift
It's customary to apply in the first term of your third year of undergrad, ie Oct, Nov, Dec 16 for a start in Oct 17. Check for deadlines, the most competitive courses will have deadlines, in maybe Feb or Mar, others won't. Postgradaute application processes are not centrally controlled or managed, it's up to each institution and each department and course within to decide it's application processes and timelines.

Yes, you will usually require 2 references, usually from academics on your Undergrad degree.

It has been usual for people to go straight from undergrad to Masters, but that is changing as there is little or no funding for Masters degrees, so now more people spend a few years in employment and saving up, before going back to Uni.

Thanks!

What are the deciding factors in gaining a place on a masters programme? Can you give me a list? How do I go about applying?

Also how important are references? I don't personally know any professors at my school, or any one who would know me.
Thanks!

What are the deciding factors in gaining a place on a masters programme? Can you give me a list? How do I go about applying?

Also how important are references? I don't personally know any professors at my school, or any one who would know me.

Quality of undergraduate grade
Strength of references
Strength of research proposal (is required)

Then to a much lesser extent, relevant practical/work experience, for some universities, but not all. The very most academic ones, it's about grades and references.

Get to know your staff on your current degree course and get good grades.

You need to read each university website for the course you want to do to find out how to apply.
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot!

Just to add to ThreePortDrifts excellent advice, in the majority of cases yes you can go straight onto the masters without industry experience (although do double check on the entry requirements section fo the course you want to study), however do bare in mind that if you want a job after rather than to go onto do a Phd, then you will need some work experience.
Quality of undergraduate grade
Strength of references
Strength of research proposal (is required)

Then to a much lesser extent, relevant practical/work experience, for some universities, but not all. The very most academic ones, it's about grades and references.

Get to know your staff on your current degree course and get good grades.

You need to read each university website for the course you want to do to find out how to apply.

Thanks! What about the GMAT?

Also what about the references for people who work a few years in the industry? They certainly won't be able to get references from teachers from their undergraduate school?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks! What about the GMAT?

Also what about the references for people who work a few years in the industry? They certainly won't be able to get references from teachers from their undergraduate school?

Define 'few' years - or rather, don't bother, the University will say what they will accept as a referee. However, professional referees, so long as they are told to focus on your academic potential, will weigh just as much. I got into Cambridge fine with professional references, I just explained to my line manager that the Uni would be interested in my ability to deal with facts rationally, work hard, meet deadlines, deal with lots of material effectively etc etc.

GMAT - it's a figure, it's part of the mix, but it's not going to make a weak application super strong, not totally destroy an otherwise strong application.
Define 'few' years - or rather, don't bother, the University will say what they will accept as a referee. However, professional referees, so long as they are told to focus on your academic potential, will weigh just as much. I got into Cambridge fine with professional references, I just explained to my line manager that the Uni would be interested in my ability to deal with facts rationally, work hard, meet deadlines, deal with lots of material effectively etc etc.

GMAT - it's a figure, it's part of the mix, but it's not going to make a weak application super strong, not totally destroy an otherwise strong application.

Thanks!
Reply 8
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

I applied in my final year of undergraduate in February, where I could then provide my final year first semester results too with my application. (Obviously as another person has stated be aware of deadlines as for some this might have been too late).

I applied for a masters at Newcastle University and recieved an offer within 3 weeks. I went straight from undegrad to postgrad with no industry experience (others on my course however have and included it in their personal statement). I however did a voluntary work placement in my final year of uni in a relevant job so I had something else to put in my personal statement.

I had two references from my undergrad course - my dissertation supervisor and my personal tutor (who was also the programme leader).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending