Help me to understand the Middle East...

Watch
abc:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ok, I do not understand the conflict(s) that is / are going on in the Middle East. I probably have a better understanding than some people but not as much as I'd like.

Beyond mainstream newspapers where can I go for information on the history of the conflict and the current dynamics? Something simplified and condensed, if that's at all possible. Are there any resources anybody can recommend, books, websites, articles, etc?
teenhorrorstory
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is no understanding the middle east
BlueBlizzard
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by abc:))
Ok, I do not understand the conflict(s) that is / are going on in the Middle East. I probably have a better understanding than some people but not as much as I'd like.

Beyond mainstream newspapers where can I go for information on the history of the conflict and the current dynamics? Something simplified and condensed, if that's at all possible. Are there any resources anybody can recommend, books, websites, articles, etc?
Anything specific? I live in the Middle East
jamesthehustler
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

simple I can explain it in a few words
all wars there are started by the USA for G.O.D via funds made available by the Rothschild banking group
Rep:
?
(Original post by raniafern)
Anything specific? I live in the Middle East
I really want to understand what's going on in Syria, but I don't even know enough to be able to ask specific questions. I guess I'm wondering who is fighting whom, and who supports whom... also I realise that this links to what's going on in other countries too which I why I initially asked about the Middle East in general!
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamesthehustler)
simple I can explain it in a few words
all wars there are started by the USA for G.O.D via funds made available by the Rothschild banking group
This does not help me :laugh:
BlueBlizzard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I really want to understand what's going on in Syria, but I don't even know enough to be able to ask specific questions. I guess I'm wondering who is fighting whom, and who supports whom... also I realise that this links to what's going on in other countries too which I why I initially asked about the Middle East in general!
Ah Syria. My apologies, I skip those 2 pages in the newspaper each morning So, you'd be better off with another source.
Well, I'm in the UAE and it's pretty peaceful out here, fortunately. The ME is a region of turmoil right now, but it's not like everybody's at war. If you have any questions about the GCC or UAE, ask away. But Syria? You could probably tell me more, since I have no interest in them... (I checking out the forest fires back home )
jamesthehustler
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This does not help me :laugh:
America is behind most wars as they are paid by the world's most major banking organisation to destabilise the region whilst sending looted gold, oil and drugs back to feed the demands of the western world and make the west richer and the east poorer
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

It's all about Islam, whether you are a Sunni or Shiite Muslim and holy land.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
America is behind most wars as they are paid by the world's most major banking organisation to destabilise the region whilst sending looted gold, oil and drugs back to feed the demands of the western world and make the west richer and the east poorer
Ok... I mean I understand that there is America and the West's role to consider but it doesn't really help me to understand the conflict overall but if you have any resources you can recommend that would be really good?
Rep:
?
(Original post by paul514)
It's all about Islam, whether you are a Sunni or Shiite Muslim and holy land.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha see this is why it is so hard to understand!! Both these two comments say opposite things... I just really want to find some resources which take all of these aspects into account and help someone who knows fairly little to try and make sense of it all
shawn_o1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I guess the furthest you can go back to is when Israel, as a country, was formed. Lots of resources on the internet for that
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bull****

For Syria specifically, I'd recommend the reddit sub /r/syriancivilwar. It's very good for following the war in detail, which I have been doing pretty much since the war started. There are some resources on there as well.
Spoiler:
Show
The war started as an anti government protest movement, and turned into a civil war when soldiers started defecting and civilians began to take up arms.

You have the FSA, which isn't a unified army but rather an umbrella group of different rebel groups (some rebel groups are affiliated with the FSA, but others aren't). They were the original rebel group basically, but have since lost influence. Then there's Jabhat al Nusra, which just changed its name to Jabhat Fatah al Sham. They were an Al Qaeda group until a few weeks ago but have technically broken ties. Then you have the other Islamist non FSA groups, like Ahrar al Sham, Jaish al Islam and countless other smaller groups. All these groups fight against the Syrian government, as they want to overthrow Assad. There are loads of different rebel groups and coalitions which makes things really confusing at times.

Then of course there's ISIS, who fight against everyone else in Syria. Even other Islamist groups where they get the chance. They were originally in Iraq but expanded into Syria.

The rebels are supported by Middle Eastern countries like Turkey and Saudi Arabia among others. Qatar has been accused of supporting Jabhat Fatal al Sham. Some FSA groups are backed by the US and receive TOW anti tank missiles (apparently from old Saudi stockpiles). Assad is backed by Russia, who provide air support and diplomatic cover as well as providing some government units with new tanks and equipment. Iran also supports the government, as does the Lebanese Shia movement Hezbollah who fight on the government side. The government also has the support of Iraqi Shia militias fighting alongside them.

Then you have the Kurdish YPG, who are now in an alliance called the SDF which includes several Arab groups. They want some form of Kurdish autonomy. They fight against ISIS. They fight against quite a few of the rebels, but then at the same time some rebel groups have allied with them (basically where the SDF alliance came from). They occasionally fight the government as well, but there's kind of an unofficial truce going on as they both have other priorities. The YPG is backed by the US who provide air support. But Turkey opposes them, as do many rebel groups.

If you want to know anything else then feel free to ask.
Eunomia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haha see this is why it is so hard to understand!! Both these two comments say opposite things... I just really want to find some resources which take all of these aspects into account and help someone who knows fairly little to try and make sense of it all
I will give you some tips: a simplistic answer that hasn't had much (if any) thought put into it isn't worth listening to.

It will take a long time to do enough research to understand the Middle Eastern conflicts. Most authors will have a political agenda, which is why it's important to read from all viewpoints. Syrian authors are your best bet, but there are some experts outside of Syria who know quite a bit as well.
Peroxidation
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Pinkberry_y
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sadam Hussein was removed as leader of Iraq. There are mixed opinions on whether this was a good or bad thing depending on who you talk to. However this started of a chain of events;
The Arab Spring- where many countries including Egypt and Libya overthrew their dictator leaderships to replace it with democracy or the opposition. This was attempted in Syria as well, but failed. In Syria, a portion of the rebel group against Asad (leader of Syria) were actually members of ISIS and terrorist groups. They used this to grow ISIS strength in Syria. Meanwhile all this time, Iraq has not hand a strong leadership, which has given terrorist groups such as ISIS, the opportunity to grow stronger there as well.
And of course there's the Israeli-Palestine conflict as Palestine isn't being recognised as its own state.
Meanwhile the oil rich Saudia Arabia watches on and does nothing about ISIS (I wonder why....)
generallee
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Shia Muslims hate Sunni Muslims and therefore seek to kill them and vice versa. A faction of Sunni Muslims hates other factions of Sunni Muslims and seeks to kill them and vice versa.

Some Muslims (mostly Sunni) hate Christians and seek to kill them.

All Muslims and some Christians hate Jews and seek to kill them.

Israel and the USA is to blame for all of this.
username2313507
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There are two main countries in the Middle East; Saudi Arabia and Iran. None of these countries are particularly good friends.

Both of these countries has their own little fan club - I will refer to these as clubs
/Saudi and Sunni Arab countries like Qatar, UAE, Yemen government
/Iran and their Shia boys like Syria, Lebanon etc

The two clubs are often trying to improve their standing by damaging the members of the other club, but will rarely attack the Kingpin (Iran/Saudi)

Examples of this include Saudi funding rebel groups in Syria to harm the Iran club, whereas Iran funds Houthi rebels in Yemen to harm the Saudi club

There's also Israel which both clubs don't like. But neither club has a reasonable interest in harming Israel anymore and know they'll get hurt if they do, so they tend to just complain to the UN and stuff.

Basically lots of people who can't get along because they believe in different versions of the same thing
JamesN88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Like them or loathe them Israel and Jordan are the only countries that aren't unstable or run by religious lunatics.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not really the other is complete ********

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (44)
41.12%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
19.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.61%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
8.41%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.41%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
6.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
10.28%

Watched Threads