Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'v got a problem, today i'm supposed to go and try to look for a new car, well my first, as you'd have guessed. My problem is i know relativley little about cars.
    My question would be for a first car which one would you want and give reasons.

Make:
    Model:
    Colour:
    Engine Size:
    and why:

Thanks and I appreciate any replies

ReputationRep:
    i have a red citreon c3 and it is lovely to drive (it's so cute as well, it's my noddy car), but it's only been around a couple of years so even 2nd hand it won't be a bargain. try looking at ford fiestas, vauxhall corsas, peugeot 206, citreon saxos, ford kas, nissan micra

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotnanoo)
    I'v got a problem, today i'm supposed to go and try to look for a new car, well my first, as you'd have guessed. My problem is i know relativley little about cars.

Make:
    Model:
    Colour:
    Engine Size:
    and why:

Make: Volkswagen
    Model: Polo
    Colour: Silver or bright blue
    Engine Size: 1.4
    and why: Cos theyre beautiful, have power steering, ABS, and easy to handle and drive. I chose a small engine size on purpose, cos I hate cars that pick up fast.

ReputationRep:
    Make:BMW
    Model:Z3
    Colour:Black
    Engine Size:3l
    and why: classy - fast, decent 2nd hand price

ReputationRep:
    I got my first car a year ago now, and I still love it to bits It is...

Make: Ford
    Model: Ka
    Colour: Metallic blue
    Engine Size: 1.3
    and why: It's a dream to drive, handles really well, nippy and easy to park. Decent engine size but lumped in the same insurance bracket as less powerful cars (eg. 1.0 Corsas) so quite good value. Friends say it's very comfortable being a passenger in it. It's exactly what I need but depends what you'll use your car for really.

Good luck! There have been threads about this in the past if you want to dig them up; might be of interest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    i have a red citreon c3 and it is lovely to drive (it's so cute as well, it's my noddy car), but it's only been around a couple of years so even 2nd hand it won't be a bargain. try looking at ford fiestas, vauxhall corsas, peugeot 206, citreon saxos, ford kas, nissan micra

lou xxx
    Thanks my problem is that I'v been on the auto trader website and I still don't know anything (embarrising (spelt wrong?)really cuz I'm a bloke), plus today I'm supposed to go to a car auction in Worcester,
    Cheers though, i do like the peugot 206's even the four door 306's

ReputationRep:

Make:
    Model:
    Colour:
    Engine Size:
    and why:

whats ur budget?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    The insurance underwriters will love that!

How much are they going for 2nd hand anyway?

ReputationRep:
    as a 1st car would i ever get insured on that ?

ReputationRep:
    whats ur budget?
    well personally after my holiday i'v got 1-1.5k to spend on the car and the insurance is going to be paid by my dad
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    mini - old or new depending on budget. Look good, cheap insurance, easy to drive and park and fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    The insurance underwriters will love that!

How much are they going for 2nd hand anyway?
    yea insurance is abit expensive, but once you get like passplus...etc it gets cheaper, for 2nd hand you can get one for 5-7grand on the cheaper end

ReputationRep:
    as a 1st car would i ever get insured on that ?
    if you payed them well.

ReputationRep:
    well personally after my holiday i'v got 1-1.5k to spend on the car and the insurance is going to be paid by my dad
    look for a fiat punto, ford fiesta (old style), peugeot 106/306

<1.4 litre engine probably although i suspect a 306 will start at 1.6
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    yea insurance is abit expensive, but once you get like passplus...etc it gets cheaper, for 2nd hand you can get one for 5-7grand on the cheaper end
    You have £5-7k to spend on a first car :eek: what a waste of money...

Mine was £600, my second car (which I'm still driving 5 yrs no claims bonus on) cost just a little over £1k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    look for a fiat punto, ford fiesta (old style), peugeot 106/306

<1.4 litre engine probably although i suspect a 306 will start at 1.6
    If I say hyperthetically a punto are we looking at a decent shaped one?, I mean what reg like?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    fiats are usually in unusually high insurance groups because of the cost of repairs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)

Mine was £600, my second car (which I'm still driving 5 yrs no claims bonus on) cost just a little over £1k
    if youve got abit of money on your hands why not? :rolleyes: very nice car...beauuuuutiful interior, its better than getting a new car, which is abit of a waste of money...that said, its a pretty expensive car to maintain

ReputationRep:

Make:
    Model:
    Colour:
    Engine Size:
    and why:

Make: Honda
    Model: Civic Type R
    Colour: Black
    Engine Size: 2.0 ltr
    and why: 0-60 : 6.6 seconds and looks sick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)

my excuse for having a beautiful month old car *it still smells new* is that it is technically my mums and i did drive her saxo before that and lost my confidence when some ******** drove into me (while i was still learning)- so actaully the insurance paid for most of the c3

lou xxx

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.