Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm selling this laptop (brand new/boxed) in London for £700 and even though I had advertised it in Gumtree I had no replies. Are there are any other alternative places to sell this laptop (perhaps shops that buy new laptops)? The lowest price I've seen on the internet is £1099.99 so logic dictates I should be able to find a buyer but I'm clueless.

ReputationRep:
    eBay should be good

Don't sell it to a shop/business. They will give you significantly less than you could get from direct dealings with another person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    eBay should be good

Don't sell it to a shop/business. They will give you significantly less than you could get from direct dealings with another person
    Thanks for the suggestion. I never used ebay before. I guess I'll have to figure out how to use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ζ(s))
    Thanks for the suggestion. I never used ebay before. I guess I'll have to figure out how to use it.
    It's pretty easy to do. Just make sure you use tracked mail so the buyer doesn't scam you!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Sell it in a rich place so the demand for the good is less income elastic.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sell it online. eBay or Amazon, probably eBay. If you sell to a shop or any other vendor they'll be looking to make a profit from it and will offer less than what it's worth.

As a side note, you can get the same laptop, brand new on eBay for far less than £1100:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Ide...sAAOSw6WdXiPAb

So don't go in expecting to make loads. I'd offer it as a BIN at a lower price than this one to try and undercut them. Maybe list it for £849. You'll lose some money to eBay and PayPal fees but should still manage to make over £700.

Worth noting though, if you've never used eBay you might run into a little trouble. Not only does it look pretty dodgy (someone with no reputation trying to sell an expensive laptop for an undercut price) but eBay/PayPal may hold your money for an extended period to protect your buyer (again because you'd look suspicious).

eBay is ideal for this but if you've never actually used it you may run into some minor problems that make the transaction go less smoothly than normal.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.