The Student Room Group

I really want to skateboard, but I have mobility issues and am disabled?

Okay, so ever since I was around seven or eight I've always loved the idea of skating. Cruising down a street, curving from pedestrians... I don't care about tricks just yet, I just want to be able to confidently cruise, and become 'one' with the board.

However, I have some complex medical issues. My legs collapse, and I lost the ability to walk when I was 12. I had four years off-and-on in regards to secondary school attendance, and I just haven't got the same muscles other people have got. So my parents are weary about me trying to skateboard, and said I should go on my old scooter to see if I can 'handle' wheels with my condition before I spend my pocket money on a decent board, protective gear, etc.

I see the logic. And if I lived somewhere a little less populated, I would have no complaints. But my issue is - it's more of a self-conscious issue - a seventeen year old girl on a kick scooter? Surely, people are going to think that's weird? My dad told me I have to spend four weeks using my old scooter consistently, and if my legs can handle it, I can get a skateboard and try it out.

There's also the issue of me falling off a skateboard, and the complications it'll have for my condition, but if I have a pretty high pain threshold. I might talk it through with my physiotherapists. I just really, really want to skateboard. I do! It's a bit of a childhood dream.

So, is it really as weird as I think it is for a 17 year old to be on a push scooter? Should I give up on my dream of skateboarding because of my medical condition?

Anyone want to help me out?
Dont give up, i don't think its weird to start with a scooter at all:smile:

Original post by SteamboatMickey
Okay, so ever since I was around seven or eight I've always loved the idea of skating. Cruising down a street, curving from pedestrians... I don't care about tricks just yet, I just want to be able to confidently cruise, and become 'one' with the board.

However, I have some complex medical issues. My legs collapse, and I lost the ability to walk when I was 12. I had four years off-and-on in regards to secondary school attendance, and I just haven't got the same muscles other people have got. So my parents are weary about me trying to skateboard, and said I should go on my old scooter to see if I can 'handle' wheels with my condition before I spend my pocket money on a decent board, protective gear, etc.

I see the logic. And if I lived somewhere a little less populated, I would have no complaints. But my issue is - it's more of a self-conscious issue - a seventeen year old girl on a kick scooter? Surely, people are going to think that's weird? My dad told me I have to spend four weeks using my old scooter consistently, and if my legs can handle it, I can get a skateboard and try it out.

There's also the issue of me falling off a skateboard, and the complications it'll have for my condition, but if I have a pretty high pain threshold. I might talk it through with my physiotherapists. I just really, really want to skateboard. I do! It's a bit of a childhood dream.

So, is it really as weird as I think it is for a 17 year old to be on a push scooter? Should I give up on my dream of skateboarding because of my medical condition?

Anyone want to help me out?
I'm sorry to hear that you're finding it difficult to pursue your dream.

However, I'm not sure I'm entirely following - shouldn't you consult your doctor or physio as you say rather than your parents and this whole thing with the scooter? I'm not entirely sure whether being able to use a scooter is indicative of whether you'd be able to skateboard.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
I'm sorry to hear that you're finding it difficult to pursue your dream.

However, I'm not sure I'm entirely following - shouldn't you consult your doctor or physio as you say rather than your parents and this whole thing with the scooter? I'm not entirely sure whether being able to use a scooter is indicative of whether you'd be able to skateboard.

I don't think it's indicative either. But my physio said I should be able to if I did enough physio exercises to help with my balance, and got to a stable enough condition, which I have in the past month or so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending