Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My first shift at sports direct watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I have my first shift at Sports Direct tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me or tips, especially on the different departments I might have to work at.

Thanks in advance
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Quit now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    Quit now
    Why? Do you work there?

ReputationRep:
    I couldnt work one of those floor retail jobs. I hate clothes and its always boiling in there. I dont know how you people do it :/

ReputationRep:
    I hope you change your mind. There is such a thing as self-respect and dignity. Should you join a company who will sack people who go to the toilet for too long? Don't you think it is totally unnecessary to have zero hours contracts in a shop, where opening hours are known?

RIP work life
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lulu_20)
    Why? Do you work there?
    It's known to be one of the worst places to work in the retail world. Look up Shirebrook Sports Direct. It's horrible. Hopefully the experience is better for you, though. Let us know how it goes.

Personally I wouldn't risk a Sports Direct job, people even compare it to concentration camps.

ReputationRep:
    Guys it's all very well and nice telling them to quit, but for some people a job is a job and at the end of the day we don't all get a luxury of a range of jobs to choose. You're being rather unrealistic if you think people can just turn away jobs as they so please and find something better straight away.

I too have heard bad things about Sports Direct; I can only hope you have a good experience OP (as some stores will be better to work than others without a doubt).

ReputationRep:
    Damn... im starting to regret taking the job, I only took it cos i applied to so many places and the'yre the only ones who accepted me. If it gets too bad I'll probably just quit. I mostly did it for the experience, and money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Guys it's all very well and nice telling them to quit, but for some people a job is a job and at the end of the day we don't all get a luxury of a range of jobs to choose. You're being rather unrealistic if you think people can just turn away jobs as they so please and find something better straight away.

I too have heard bad things about Sports Direct; I can only hope you have a good experience OP (as some stores will be better to work than others without a doubt).
    Thanks, I hope my experience wont be too bad

Thanks, I hope my experience wont be too bad
    See how it goes. If it is as bad as they say, you can just walk out. Just dont tell the dole you worked there because if you quit, it prevents you from claiming. Just tell the dole you did some work for a mates brother in law or something should you need to.

ReputationRep:
    Was it like slave labour?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Damn... im starting to regret taking the job, I only took it cos i applied to so many places and the'yre the only ones who accepted me. If it gets too bad I'll probably just quit. I mostly did it for the experience, and money
    I hope its okay for you, surely not all of them are the same

ReputationRep:
    It was okay, hardly any training though so I was mostly lost and the workers were okay but some were kind of rude. All in all it was not too bad, but REALLY boring. Plus my feet hurt😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my name is Ali and I am currently working on my dissertation on employee issues at Sports Direct, I want to conduct some interviews with people who are currently working or have worked at Sports Direct within the last 3 years.

I'm hoping to conduct the interview via email and the questions will generally be around their time at Sports Direct, why employees have a negative view about the current working conditions and what they would like to see changed.

The interviews will take place at the end of Feb and start of March so this discussion will be up for a while.

Please feel free to reply in this discussion.

Thank you!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.