Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you think UEFA should return to how it once was, and allow only league champions into the Champions League? I think so because that would make the competition more competitive (as well as the European domestic leagues themselves). At the moment I feel the competition is too stale and predictable. There's only one reason why the same clubs get to the semi-finals or even just qualify for the competition every year, and that is money. Once a competition revolves around money it just becomes a rich clubs' plaything, with those clubs seemingly passing the trophy between each other year after year and leaving little room for any other competitors. Restoring the true nature of the competition will make it more fun to watch

Plus, it doesn't have to revert to European Cup-era straight knockouts. We could have the champions of the top eight leagues and the CL and EL holders automatically qualify for a 16-team group stage (at least the CL and EL holders won something during the previous season) with the other 46 (or 45 or 44)* league champions entering a series of qualifying rounds that narrows down to six qualifiers.

*I would propose that if the CL winner was also domestic league champion, the champion of the 9th best league automatically qualifies, and if the EL winner is also a domestic league champion, the champion of the 10th best league automatically qualifies.

ReputationRep:
    So let me get this straight, you think it would make it a more competitive competition, if for example FK Qarabag were able to qualify (they enter at the 2nd qualifying round this year, but not the point) ahead of teams like Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, Benfica, etc???

Or when you say 'champions' do you mean only those champions from nations you deem important enough....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    So let me get this straight, you think it would make it a more competitive competition, if for example FK Qarabag were able to qualify (they enter at the 2nd qualifying round this year, but not the point) ahead of teams like Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, Benfica, etc???

Or when you say 'champions' do you mean only those champions from nations you deem important enough....
    I proposed a reduced group stage with 4 groups of 4 so the likes of Celtic, Qarabag, even Olympiakos would have to go through qualifying

Meanwhile Atletico, Dortmund, Benfica etc. if they can't qualify by winning the league they can qualify by winning the Europa. It's true that some non-champs did give the competition a good try lately but then you have the likes of Arsenal, Bayer Leverkusen who are in the competition but never try to go any further than they can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    I proposed a reduced group stage with 4 groups of 4 so the likes of Celtic, Qarabag, even Olympiakos would have to go through qualifying

Meanwhile Atletico, Dortmund, Benfica etc. if they can't qualify by winning the league they can qualify by winning the Europa. It's true that some non-champs did give the competition a good try lately but then you have the likes of Arsenal, Bayer Leverkusen who are in the competition but never try to go any further than they can
    That Arsenal and Leverkusen continue to qualify but never go further than they can (that's a bad thing?) would suggest a lack of competitiveness at national level no?

As for seeing different teams challenge for the competition, I'd suggest that reducing the number of teams in the competion, hence reducing the number of teams the big clubs have to make mistakes against would make the problem significantly worse. Also if you restrict the (inevitably reduced) financial boon of the Champions League to one team per nation you're just going to end up with what happens in Germany/Italy; Bayern/Juventus use their added financial power to constantly weaken their rivals and crush any chance of others challenging for the title.

That said I do come a this from the perspective that I like football, so more football to watch is invaribly a good thing. Never understood why so many so called football fans only want to watch football at 3pm on a saturday, but thats a different argument.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So you think the CL is too stale and predictable yet you think it's a good idea to remove any competition these teams may face, making it even easier for the usual suspects to get to the semis and the final? :dontknow:

Whilst I do agree that the CL is too boring and predictable, I'd much rather see Real Madrid v Dortmund and PSG v Atletico than Barca vs FC Fishermans Friend or Borat United.

I'd argue the Premier League > CL now anyway considering all the money involved. Players used to join someone like Shakhtar or Porto to gain global exposure and test themselves against the best players, now they're better off joining Palace or Stoke. 38 games is much better than 6.

ReputationRep:
    It just guarantees that one of three teams can win it, as opposed to 5-10 which it currently is.

ReputationRep:
    Defo stale having so many weak terrible Euro teams in it. They need to remove bad leagues like Turkey, Scotland, Spain, Germany and give more places to prem sides. Maybe 20 or so teams

ReputationRep:
    UEFA are basically relying on Bayern, Barca and Real to ensure CL > Premiership.

ReputationRep:
    We should replace the current Champions League with a European Super League. Going back to the old CL format is the wrong direction to head.

ReputationRep:
    Get ready folks - it seems the big clubs have UEFA by the balls and they've taken advantage of the power vacuum to really get the demands they want. It seems those rumours of a breakaway league had some truth to them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.