Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gay version of Sherlock Holmes watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone seen the Raffles tv show? The guy who wrote it based the two main characters on Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, and on Oscar Wilde and his lover Lord Alfred Douglas. The difference is that they aren't fighting crime, they are gentleman-thieves and safe crackers.

In the series, AJ Raffles is a famous cricketer and talented thief. His sidekick is 'Bunny' Manders, who was Raffles fag (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fagging) at school. Raffles is the worldly, knowing type and Bunny is rather innocent and slightly incompetent. They make an adorable duo though and the homoerotic subtext is not only very strong but was entirely intended by the author. It's a lot of fun, they go around robbing wealthy aristocrats and industrialists while also living it up in late 1890s London. The series is available on YouTube

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were talking about this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPLsFTOpCRU

ReputationRep:
    I am very glad they decided to create a new character to be gay, rather than try and turn the original Sherlock Holmes gay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    I am very glad they decided to create a new character to be gay, rather than try and turn the original Sherlock Holmes gay
    I suppose there's plenty of slash fanfic for that, though I don't think slash even existed when this was written (over 100 years ago, and the TV series made about 40 years ago).

The Sherlock Holmes / Dr Watson is really just a starting point, it's pretty awesome in its own right. Oh and they don't actually explicitly say he's gay, you couldn't do that in the 1890s, the author intended the characters to be that way by basing them partly on Oscar Wilde and Alfred Douglas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.