Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is volunteering in a charity shop generally unpaid? watch

I am just wondering as to whether volunteering in a charity shop to gain experience is generally unpaid.

Btw, i am not expecting to get paid since it is voluntary but i am just wondering, hence posting.

ReputationRep:
    generally volunteerring is unpaid

there are a couple of scenarios where it gets murky

1. where people are recruited to volunteer for a limited amount of time at a event but get a pass for the whole event

2. the Reserve Forces and Retained Duty System Firefighters

ReputationRep:
    Yes, volunteering is always unpaid (except for expenses sometimes being covered), and any payment turns it from volunteering into a job which requires minimum wage laws etc to be followed
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    My sister volunteers at Oxfam and they give her a small amount of money to get some lunch. Otherwise she is unpaid, but also gets first pick (I think?) of stuff that is donated.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    I am just wondering as to whether volunteering in a charity shop to gain experience is generally unpaid.

Btw, i am not expecting to get paid since it is voluntary but i am just wondering, hence posting.
    That's why they call it volunteering. You may be able to claim bus fares and a small amount for lunch.

(Original post by SeanFM)
    My sister volunteers at Oxfam and they give her a small amount of money to get some lunch. Otherwise she is unpaid, but also gets first pick (I think?) of stuff that is donated.
    How much do you reckon they give?

• Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Around £5 maybe.

Around £5 maybe.
    Ok
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Ok
    Not particularly useful information though, ask whoever you'll be working with

Not particularly useful information though, ask whoever you'll be working with
    Yeah.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Most of the time when you volunteer in a charity shop you don't get paid (and why should you take from a charity on a volunteering basis anyway?). I have heard of people volunteering and getting first picks out of the clothes that come into the store though, although I worry about the ethics of that

ReputationRep:
    yeah people do voluntary mainly to gain the experience, worked at three different charity shops, never got paid.

ReputationRep:
    Usually it's unpaid, but my friend gets paid £7 an hour if she volunteers for more than 2 hours. However this is a rare case so you may not be as lucky.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.