Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do the LPC without a training contract or work/get more experience? watch

ReputationRep:
    Should I do the LPC without a training contract and hope to get a TC after I finish it or work some legal roles and apply for TC's during that time. My only worry is that I may miss out on support and guidance who could see my applications and help improve it and see areas that need to be addressed If dont do the LPC. What would you guys do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electro14)
    Should I do the LPC without a training contract and hope to get a TC after I finish it or work some legal roles and apply for TC's during that time. My only worry is that I may miss out on support and guidance who could see my applications and help improve it and see areas that need to be addressed If dont do the LPC. What would you guys do?
    I personally would try working instead. The LPC is such a huge investment financially.

After I finished my GDL I worked for a year as a paralegal and it improved the strength of my applications by so much. The experience really is invaluable and it shows you have a commitment to the career beyond just financial means.

ReputationRep:
    I'd only pursue the LPC if money was no object or if I was going into an area of law that didn't sponsor the course. Otherwise I would work - working would build experience and at least give me the option to then partly fund the LPC if I wasn't successful the subsequent year.

Or if I could sacrifice a fair amount outside of work/study, I'd do the LPC part-time and have the best of both worlds. But that is a tough option and not for the faint hearted.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Only if you had the money easily or you have a confident belief in your abiliy to secure a tc, Be realistic.

ReputationRep:
    I do the LPC part-time and I work. It can be quite tough because you feel like you're almost split in 2, but in all honesty I am very glad I made the decision. Having that extra year gives you more time to develop and to think carefully about how you can make yourself look more employable.
    My grades beforehand were fine but could be better (ABB A-Levels and low 2.1 from an RG uni), but now my marks on the LPC vary between 67 - 78%. I've had a lot of support from the careers department as I have done 3 different pro bono schemes, 1 Vac Scheme, and 1 informal work placement this year alone. I haven't got an offer yet, but I can hand on heart say I certainly have a much better chance than I did a year ago!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I faced this dilemma when I graduated in 2014. I decided to work instead as I thought the risk was too great to pursue the LPC without the guarantee of a TC. I got work in account management/sales before moving into a business development role within a small bank. Both non legal roles.

When it came to applying for TCs I had loads to talk about at interviews and I got the impression that firms liked the fact that I had gained some real work experience and the commercial awareness they harp on about. It also separated me from candidates who had either come straight out of uni or who had done the LPC.

*Obviously many people do the LPC, then obtain a TC. But personally I gained much more in experience (and financially) by getting out there and finding work. Law firms will look upon that positively. I should add, I managed to get a TC with a city law firm this cycle who will fully fund my LPC...all the best.

ReputationRep:
    If you can get law-related work without it, that would always be a preferable course of action. The only benefit of doing the LPC pre-offer is to that end, as many paralegal roles will require it.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.