Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Americamp 2017

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I would start a thread for anyone planning on heading to camp in 2017.
    Have any other eager beavers already started the application process for 2017?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I have applied for 2017, I have had my interview and just waiting for my last reference!
    Have you applied? x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Im thinking about it as well, cant decide whether to commit or not haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAYem13)
    Hey! I have applied for 2017, I have had my interview and just waiting for my last reference!
    Have you applied? x
    Sorry for the late reply, completely forgot I'd put this up! I have a Skype interview with a camp that are interested in me in California so that's cool! Have you got any further?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I would love to take part next year What day do we have to arrive by? As in, is there a date that we have to be in America by?

ReputationRep:
    Hello just wondering is it really necessary to attend a camp fair to get placed, or can I just go through with my application only and still more than likely get placed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackknox24)
    Hello just wondering is it really necessary to attend a camp fair to get placed, or can I just go through with my application only and still more than likely get placed?
    hey, I would say it isn't necessary to attend a camp fair. I've had two camps email me asking for a Skype interview and I haven't attended any camp fairs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hatcs001)
    Hey! I would love to take part next year What day do we have to arrive by? As in, is there a date that we have to be in America by?
    Hey, I think it depends on each camp. Each camp has a different start date but I think it's usually between start-mid June.

ReputationRep:
    I've been travelling for years, and I tell you these Camps are a waste of money. Be independent, go on your own. Don't do an expensive package version. Camp Thailand, for example, may be good fun, but the TEFL course is rubbish, not worth the money. They hold it in a place called Surin. Take it from me, that isn't a place you want to be! Go to Chiang Mai in the north or the islands in the south.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alices1)
    hey, I would say it isn't necessary to attend a camp fair. I've had two camps email me asking for a Skype interview and I haven't attended any camp fairs!
    Thanks ☺️

ReputationRep:
    I've just been placed at Easter Seals Camp Fairlee for Summer 2017!! So excited that I can now start planning and booking flights now I know where I'm going has anyone got any further in their applications?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! I'm heading back for my third summer with AmeriCamp next year. Let me know if you have any questions that I could try and help with!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I've been really wanting to do Americamp for a couple of years now, unfortunately last year I couldn't go as it would have meant missing my graduation. I have a couple of questions i was wondering if you'd be able to hep me a little with?
    -Does it matter that I am no longer a uni student? I'm now a 21y/o graduate

-I can't choose between Camp America and Camp Canada and I can't find anything useful to push me in one direction more than the other?!
    -Finally- I've never done anything like this and I have absolutely no idea where to start.. absolutely any help you can give would be useful! I don't even know which group to go with, but I was thinking Americamp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelmayes)
    Hi all! I'm heading back for my third summer with AmeriCamp next year. Let me know if you have any questions that I could try and help with!
    Hi there!

I've been really wanting to do Americamp for a couple of years now, unfortunately last year I couldn't go as it would have meant missing my graduation. I have a couple of questions i was wondering if you'd be able to hep me a little with?

-I can't choose between Camp America and Camp Canada and I can't find anything useful to push me in one direction more than the other?!
    -Finally- I've never done anything like this and I have absolutely no idea where to start.. absolutely any help you can give would be useful! I don't even know which group to go with, but I was thinking Americamp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophlee)
    Hi there!

Hi! Well, I'll be 21 when I go and will have just finished my uni course. I know that Americamp accept non-students but I'm not sure about other companies.

I can't say I know much about Camp Canada, but I guess it really comes down to whether you would prefer to visit America or Canada!

It's the first time I've done anything like this so don't worry! First I would say to just think about any skills you might have: any sports you enjoy or even anything like crafts or performing arts as this is one of the main things they look for! I'm interested in working with special needs children/adults in the future therefore my placement at a special needs camp is ideal!

I also know that Americamp is supposed to be the cheapest for applying and you also receive the largest salary without them taking a huge chunk from you.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I applied for camp back in August, had my interview, made my video and four months later I was told that I would not get placed unless I attended a camp fair (due to my medical history; fully recovered now). However my uni exam timetable meant that I couldn't attend my local fair in Edinburgh, so I went along to the Leeds fair. Eventually, a camp hired me with great enthusiasm. I was so happy that my previous illness was not a problem. However, after booking flights and buying new gear, I was informed that the camp had retracted my employment due to my medical history... from 4 years ago.

Has anyone else had this experience or know someone who has?
    Does anyone have any ideas as of what to do now?

Help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophlee)
    Hi there!

Hey!

I am also really stuck on choosing between USA or Canada!! Have you reached a decision yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelmayes)
    Hi,

there isn't much information about support staff at camp online, i wounded if you knew anything about whats its like to be support staff or if its better to be a councilor.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!! I applied for Americamp at the beginning of the year although I am still waiting to be placed. I have read a few times online and on twitter that camps have finished hiring at this stage in the year. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, is there an average time that it takes to get placed? I have loads of experience working with children from babysitting, teaching jujitsu to children as well as being a volunteer with children with disabilities. I am a little worried now as I do not have high hopes about getting placed for the Summer. The Americamp team are obviously trying to be optimistic and assure me that "You will definitely get placed". But I can't help but think they're only saying this cause they have to. The longer it takes to get placed, the more expensive flights will be and it will be a huge rush to get a visa sorted etc... Is anyone else still waiting to get placed? I am becoming increasingly worried lol

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Ive only just heard about Americamp and I'm really interested but know its pretty late in the year! Do you know if it is too late to reply please? Also, for anyone who has maybe done this before could you please give me a rough estimate of how much everything costs in terms of Americamp costs, flights, visas, spending money required etc? Thanks

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.