Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry in advance for the long post.
    So basically I'm applying to Cambridge for 2017 entry. I got 4 A*, 5 A and 2 B at GCSE, predicted AAAB at AS (however the B was because I started the course half a term late, it's actually one of my strongest subjects so I'm likely to do better). However, I'm worried about what I'm actually going to get on results day. Firstly I've had depression since year 10, and OCD giving me anxiety and panic attacks since I was about 8/9. I had counselling in year 10 and doctors notes to back it up, as well as CBT (ongoing) in year 12 (during exams). So that affected my work. Also my home life isn't ideal. It's weird but basically my parents have been separating for about 5 years but it's not easy, and I have stayed at extended family's houses on and off to get away from a toxic home situation which has caused immense stress (hence the depression). Additionally, neither of my parents went to uni but I go to private school on a bursary. I've done loads of extra curricular things to show I'm dedicated to my subject, and I know my teachers will write me a good reference. Basically my question is, is it likely my extenuating circumstances will mitigate less than perfect results, when my teachers have predicted me Cambridge-worthy marks?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by lvuxxv)
    So basically I'm applying to Cambridge for 2017 entry. I got 4 A*, 5 A and 2 B at GCSE, predicted AAAB at AS (however the B was because I started the course half a term late, it's actually one of my strongest subjects so I'm likely to do better). However, I'm worried about what I'm actually going to get on results day. Firstly I've had depression since year 10, and OCD giving me anxiety and panic attacks since I was about 8/9. I had counselling in year 10 and doctors notes to back it up, as well as CBT (ongoing) in year 12 (during exams). So that affected my work. Also my home life isn't ideal. It's weird but basically my parents have been separating for about 5 years but it's not easy, and I have stayed at extended family's houses on and off to get away from a toxic home situation which has caused immense stress (hence the depression). Additionally, neither of my parents went to uni but I go to private school on a bursary. I've done loads of extra curricular things to show I'm dedicated to my subject, and I know my teachers will write me a good reference. Basically my question is, is it likely my extenuating circumstances will mitigate less than perfect results, when my teachers have predicted me Cambridge-worthy marks?
    Sorry to read about your troubles. And yes your school can complete an Extenuating Circumstances Form when you apply.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...umstances-form

PS. I've moved your thread to the Cambridge Forum.

(Original post by lvuxxv)
    I was critically ill during the second half of year 10 and first half of year 11 and, as a result of missing essentially 12 months of school. In order to catch up, I had to drop 2 subjects so I only achieved 8A*s at GCSE. My school sent a letter to all my universities e planning why I only have 8 GCSEs and I received an offer from Cambridge. So, I can say that they will definitely account for extenuating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok thanks 😊 hopefully my results will be good enough but my circumstances will likely help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.