The Student Room Group

Boiler replacement in rented property

Hey guys,

I'm having my boiler replaced in a property that I'm currently renting, as there is no hot water. I am curious to hear your opinions about whether I should ask for money off this months rent. The story basically goes as follows:

- Complained about poor hot water function upon moving into the property, over a month ago. Nothing happened.

- About a month later, letting agent finally sent round a gas man to look at the boiler after the hot water situation continued to decline.

- Gas man said the boiler is not good at all, and that there was nothing he could do to fix it. Recommended calling the manufacturer.

- Hot water completely ceased literally the moment the gas man left the flat on Friday night.

- Had to wait till Moday to call letting agent as they were shut.

- Was told they would contact the landlord ASAP to rectify the situation.

- Got a call later that same day by a different gas man, saying he wanted to come round to inspect the boiler and hopefully fit a new one the following day.

- Unfortunately I was not home but said he could get the keys from letting agent and let himself in. Letting agent said they did not have the keys. I went into the office in person the following day, turns out they do have the keys for the property.

- Am told on Tuesday that the second gas man was too expensive for the landlord, and he will be going with the original gas man. Unfortunately he says he can't fit the new boiler until the following Monday (15th), but will try and do it sooner.

- My partner and I have had to return to London to live with our respective parents, just for the sake of being able to shower. Thankfully I have not started work yet, and she has not started uni.

- I have had no word yet and today is Friday, which means the boiler must be getting fixed on Monday, although this remains to be seen.

I was just wondering what you guys would do in this situation. The rent is £875 per month. I expressed my interest in knocking a week off the rent for this month, but have not followed through. I think I will just wait and see if the boiler is actually replaced on Monday. If not, things will definitely have to be taken further as my patience is wearing thin.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jjl5590
Hey guys,

I'm having my boiler replaced in a property that I'm currently renting, as there is no hot water. I am curious to hear your opinions about whether I should ask for money off this months rent. The story basically goes as follows:

- Complained about poor hot water function upon moving into the property, over a month ago. Nothing happened.

- About a month later, letting agent finally sent round a gas man to look at the boiler after the hot water situation continued to decline.

- Gas man said the boiler is not good at all, and that there was nothing he could do to fix it. Recommended calling the manufacturer.

- Hot water completely ceased literally the moment the gas man left the flat on Friday night.

- Had to wait till Moday to call letting agent as they were shut.

- Was told they would contact the landlord ASAP to rectify the situation.

- Got a call later that same day by a different gas man, saying he wanted to come round to inspect the boiler and hopefully fit a new one the following day.

- Unfortunately I was not home but said he could get the keys from letting agent and let himself in. Letting agent said they did not have the keys. I went into the office in person the following day, turns out they do have the keys for the property.

- Am told on Tuesday that the second gas man was too expensive for the landlord, and he will be going with the original gas man. Unfortunately he says he can't fit the new boiler until the following Monday (15th), but will try and do it sooner.

- My partner and I have had to return to London to live with our respective parents, just for the sake of being able to shower. Thankfully I have not started work yet, and she has not started uni.

- I have had no word yet and today is Friday, which means the boiler must be getting fixed on Monday, although this remains to be seen.

I was just wondering what you guys would do in this situation. The rent is £875 per month. I expressed my interest in knocking a week off the rent for this month, but have not followed through. I think I will just wait and see if the boiler is actually replaced on Monday. If not, things will definitely have to be taken further as my patience is wearing thin.

what does your contract say about repairs specifically?
there's no harm in asking although my guess is they will just refuse and you don't really have grounds to insist... it's unpleasant not to have hot water but it doesn't render the house unlivable and this is a 1 week maximum turn over which isn't unreasonable (especially since they tried to do it within 2 days)

in future, it's good to have your landlord's number yourself then you're not waiting days before you even contact anyone and then waiting for things to be passed on...

I think there is also a rule about landlord repairs that basically anything which is dodgy or intermittent but sort of functions then the landlord is not obliged to repair it, so the original dodgy water you wouldn't be able to claim much over as they didn't HAVE to fix it until it was completely broken

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending