Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would there be any benefit to me (in terms of university applications) in taking up an AS in Further Mathematics in Year 13? Applying for a straight Mathematics MMath degree.

I understand that I will be learning the further content in university regardless, but would it be beneficial for me to do so before going to university? I would love to do it, but I just fear that i'd have a huge workload doing 3 A Levels (2 of which are reformed, so double the amount of content for year 13 exams) and then the FM AS.

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I think it will undoubtedly assist any university application you make. I've only looked at a few universities so far, but the ones I have seem to all say that if you have the opportunity to study further maths, you should be doing it.

To find out about specific institutions requirements you would be better to contact them. Most admissions departments will be pretty frank about what a successful application is likely to be like.

As an example, I have three A levels, but in humanities Subjects, and Trinity Cambridge told me I would undoubtedly be a stronger applicant with 3 A levels (or in my case 2 Scottish AH and an A level). I'll be doing maths and mechanics along with A level physics.

ReputationRep:
    You'll love further maths, do it!

ReputationRep:
    Surely if you're applying for a maths degree, you should be having FM up to A2-level...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Surely if you're applying for a maths degree, you should be having FM up to A2-level...?
    Not all universities demand FM because either the applicant didn't realise they wanted to study Maths or it wasn't offered. Me and my close friend both applied for Maths, I having studied FM to A2 but she only decided at the end of Year 12 so is only studying the AS. Having both applied to Bath my offer was A*AA with an A* in Maths whilst hers was A*AA with an A in FM AS and a 2 in STEP.

I'd 100% say if you want to do Maths, study FM as it's something she definitely regrets now because it sort of limits your choices, but often there are other means of entry, albeit with more stringent entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    The OP has posted another thread about applying to a 'non target uni'. Not sure if this means requirements aren't as high.

The point still stands though, that an application with FM will be better than one without.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonAchille)
    The OP has posted another thread about applying to a 'non target uni'. Not sure if this means requirements aren't as high.

The point still stands though, that an application with FM will be better than one without.
    (Original post by Swifty139)
    Not all universities demand FM because either the applicant didn't realise they wanted to study Maths or it wasn't offered. Me and my close friend both applied for Maths, I having studied FM to A2 but she only decided at the end of Year 12 so is only studying the AS. Having both applied to Bath my offer was A*AA with an A* in Maths whilst hers was A*AA with an A in FM AS and a 2 in STEP.

I'd 100% say if you want to do Maths, study FM as it's something she definitely regrets now because it sort of limits your choices, but often there are other means of entry, albeit with more stringent entry requirements.
    Even still though, I don't see how you could possibly study a maths degree with just the basic A level. It would be worth self studying FM in the long run if it isn't taught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swifty139)
    [...]
    Ah, alright. Thanks for that, it makes sense that not all unis ask for FM. The top unis do (more-or-less) require FM, so I'd still suggest taking it because, well, there's no point limiting your options at the get-go.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! I plan to take FM AS+A2 in Year 13

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Productivity)
    Thanks everyone! I plan to take FM AS+A2 in Year 13
    Good choice, it will definitely make your application stronger!

We might even end up at the same Uni.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.