Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New, harder Maths GCSE...no need to take Further Maths GCSE? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I have been hearing a lot about how hard the new Maths GCSEs will be, which I will start from September this year. My school does not offer Further Maths GCSE, but seeing as I found Maths in these past years very easy, and for many classroom lessons I found myself having to always wait for the other students to finish the tasks, I thought that it might be this way too once I start the GCSE. My older brother was telling me that when he was doing his Maths GCSE, he too got very bored in lessons.

I hear that Further Maths GCSE bridges the gap between GCSEs and A Level, and on the AQA website it says that it is aimed to stretch and challenge those who are already getting A*s and As in Maths, which I don`t doubt I will be getting! However, is another GCSE worth it if the new GCSE is going to be a lot more difficult (they say) and I would benefit more if I concentrated more on my other subjects too, and not just Maths?

Also, another question: will the Further Maths GCSE still exist, and will they update it like they did with most of the other GCSEs? As I will be having to self-study my Further Maths GCSE, (if i choose to do it), I will need to first buy textbooks etc...but if the content is going to change, then I won`t be able to buy them, because they wouldn`t be fully written, edited and completed until September...

Please help! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am taking the normal Maths GCSE and possibly the AQA Further Maths one (maybe, I've been studying it as an alternative to normal maths in lessons although I'm not sure if I will actually be smart enough to take it yet!)
    If you do decide to do it, I don't think the specification has changed so if you order the textbook, you should be fine.
    Obviously, nobody can make the decision but you, but I think if going into Maths is something you would like to do maybe as a career, then this might be a good option. Otherwise, it is just extra work for yourself which can get very tiring. I honestly wish I hadn't agreed to do it so I could've just focused on my other subjects - but that's me. You might enjoy it, but I think only take it if you enjoy maths, and not just because you're good at the subject. Good luck with whatever you choose!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by axolottis)
    So I have been hearing a lot about how hard the new Maths GCSEs will be, which I will start from September this year. My school does not offer Further Maths GCSE, but seeing as I found Maths in these past years very easy, and for many classroom lessons I found myself having to always wait for the other students to finish the tasks, I thought that it might be this way too once I start the GCSE. My older brother was telling me that when he was doing his Maths GCSE, he too got very bored in lessons.

I hear that Further Maths GCSE bridges the gap between GCSEs and A Level, and on the AQA website it says that it is aimed to stretch and challenge those who are already getting A*s and As in Maths, which I don`t doubt I will be getting! However, is another GCSE worth it if the new GCSE is going to be a lot more difficult (they say) and I would benefit more if I concentrated more on my other subjects too, and not just Maths?

Also, another question: will the Further Maths GCSE still exist, and will they update it like they did with most of the other GCSEs? As I will be having to self-study my Further Maths GCSE, (if i choose to do it), I will need to first buy textbooks etc...but if the content is going to change, then I won`t be able to buy them, because they wouldn`t be fully written, edited and completed until September...

Please help! Thanks
    You're safe in terms of being able to take it. The last assessment opportunity is June 2018!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.