im so scared...should I go? Watch

swtbabie181
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I don't know if I should go study abroad in the UK for the year. The organization already found a host family for me in the west midlands, but I'm really nervous about going to a new school, new family, new country all the way from the U.S. and I'm worried because it's going to cost so much more money when I actually go there. I also am worried that I may get homesick. but at the same time I still want to go...it could be a great experience, and I was so excited before. But right now I'm really confused and nervous about going.
no1mohsin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The fact that you can't back out now may be a good thing, and you should look upon it as a good thing. Just think what an amazing experience it will be; yes, you'll have to grow up really quickly and it will be a shock to the system no doubt, but you'll be a better person for coming through the experience, making new friends in a foreign environment and being intellectually stimulated.

To be nervous about such a big thing is only natural, but you should look upon it as a blessing and an opportunity. I'm sure you'll love it.
UglyDuckling
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
weird..

When I first arrive in UK last Sept., I was really excited. In fact, all my collegues and I can't wait to get to UK.

There's pretty much nothing to worry about since most of the stuff are settled for you.. unlike the case where you have to do the planning - i.e. lone traveller.

Bright side, you've a host family to take care of you. When I first reach UK, I'm was a total stranger. But you'll get used to it. You will learn.

All the best
Sparkly-student
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think you will have an amazing time, I honestly do! Which part of the Midlands are you going too? It's a beautiful area and Birmingham is amazing for shopping and nightlife. I think that as soon as you're settled you will make friends that you will never forget....you may even want to stay! I really admire you - I'm sure you will miss home, but it will be nothing compared to the life experience you will gain!
Nalced
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Make the jump. It might be hell, it might be amazing. Just one way of finding it out.
Do it. Make into a new world. You'll enjoy it one way or another.
Steph!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
go.
spartakist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Regret the things you have done, not the things you haven't
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by swtbabie181)
I don't know if I should go study abroad in the UK for the year. The organization already found a host family for me in the west midlands, but I'm really nervous about going to a new school, new family, new country all the way from the U.S. And I dont even think I can back out now cause we already paid a lot and I'm worried because it's going to cost so much more money when I actually go there. Plus, I'll be living with strangers and going to a sixth form taking A-levels which is much more advanced than the education I'm used to in the U.S. I also am worried that I may get homesick. but at the same time I still want to go...it could be a great experience, and I was so excited before. But right now I'm really confused and nervous about going.
Well, you have made these excuses about money and the jump up in education - but presumably something made you want to do it in the first place? So at the time you were thinking about it, you must have thought about money and the more advanced level of education, and realised that these were goals you could overcome for the sake of the excitement of going there? That means it's purely nerves that is stopping you from going, rather than these practical concerns about money that you are suggesting. There's three possible situations really:

1) go, and it turns out to be amazing, and will be a brilliant life experience.
2) go, and it doesn't turn out to be as amazing. Which is what you're worrying about. But remember, nothing is usually as bad as you think it could ever be. And you say there's no way of backing out. If you get there, and you absolutely, absolutely hate it, it's not completely impossible to come back surely.
3) you don't go. You will have missed out on an opportunity, and people will say 'I can't believe you gave that up', but there will be other opportunities besides this one. But if you are always going to turn down opportunities out of nerves, then you're always going to have the same problem.

Nobody can tell you whether you should go or not because none of us can tell how you really feel. Think about it, talk to people you know about it, then decide. But whatever decision you make is probably not as massively important as you think it is.
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You'll be fine, go for it.
swtbabie181
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Thanks for the advice.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (365)
46.03%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (243)
30.64%
I don't have an opinion (185)
23.33%

Watched Threads