Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All

I am at a stage of my life where I need to make possibly the biggest decision of my life this weekend. I have been offered a place to study Medicine UG entry but I have so many factors I need to think about as when I applied my circumstances were different. At the moment I am working in a job where there are supportive colleagues, very good pay, I have a good position and possibly good future prospects (albeit I am on a fixed term contract chances are I would be offered my role on a perm basis) and lastly I actually enjoy the job so it just feels like there's a lot to 'give up'.

When I applied for medicine last October I was at a finance company where they did not really value me, bad pay and I was fed up. I always had that urge that I could do more and I had a lot to offer. Now I'm at the position where I have 2 possible options: continue working in academia/ higher education where I am at or pursue medicine.

I don't know if it's more of a short term - long term dilemma.

Deciding to pursue medicine will financially put a huge strain on me, I'll have to work the 6 years (medicine with foundation programme) and even that I will probably just manage financially and I'll be years behind my peers - 6 years is a huge commitment I know and that's just the beginning but it could all work out and it could all be worth it surely if the admissions team did not think I had the drive/motivation to be a good doctor I would not get in.

I really don't know what to do, I just keep thinking about it over and over again and I think this has really really drained me out. I need to make my final decision this weekend as if I decide to pursue medicine I would need to hand my notice in next week.

I don't come from a typical background of a Medicine applicant I didn't have stellar GCSE's as in all A*/A but I didn't do bad either. I have a 1st class degree in Econ & business from a red brick university, maybe I can offer a lot in the medicine field. Who knows...and ultimately if I did pursue med I would love to combine the both..

I don't usually post in forums or publicly but has anyone got any advice or have you been in a similar situation or anything please I am desperate I've tried doing pros and cons of each but still not getting anywhere?!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The ultimate question is whether you want to be a doctor.
    After I graduated from my first degree, I would start a job and then quit shortly afer because I couldn't stand them. Certainly I was capable of doing the jobs, and still kept getting job offers when I appled, but i knew I wasn't happy.

In the end I knew I wanted to go for medicine, so that was it. While I get get into a graduate entry course, which meant I could actually afford it, I would have still made it work if i only got offers from year year programmes (begging family members!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous098765)
    Hi All

I am at a stage of my life where I need to make possibly the biggest decision of my life this weekend. I have been offered a place to study Medicine UG entry but I have so many factors I need to think about as when I applied my circumstances were different. At the moment I am working in a job where there are supportive colleagues, v. good pay, I have a good position and possibly good future prospects (albeit I am on a fixed term contract chances are I would be offered my role on a perm basis) and lastly I actually enjoy the job so it just feels like there's a lot to 'give up'.

When I applied for medicine last October I was at a finance company where they did not really value me, bad pay and I was fed up. I always had that urge that I could do more and I had a lot to offer. Now I'm at the position where I have 2 possible options: continue working in academia/ higher education where I am at or pursue medicine.

I don't know if it's more of a short term - long term dilemma.

Deciding to pursue medicine will financially put a huge strain on me, I'll have to work the 6 years (medicine with foundation programme) and even that I will probably just barely manage financially and I'll be years behind my peers - 6 years is a huge commitment I know and that's just the beginning but it could all work out and it could all be worth it surely if the admissions team did not think I had the drive/motivation to be a good doctor I would not get in.

I really don't know what to do, I just keep thinking about it over and over again and I think this has really really drained me out. I need to make my final decision this weekend as if I decide to pursue medicine I would need to hand my notice in next week.

I don't come from a typical background of a Medicine applicant I didn't have stellar GCSE's as in all A*/A but I didn't do bad either. I have a 1st class degree in Econ & business from a red brick university, maybe I can offer a lot in the medicine field. Who knows...and ultimately if I did pursue med I would love to combine the both..

I don't usually post in forums or publicly but has anyone got any advice or have you been in a similar situation or anything please I am desperate I've tried doing pros and cons of each but still not getting anywhere?!

Thanks
    Could you look into deferring a year on the basis of lack of funds? Don't know if medicine courses would accept this but may be worth a shot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly9595)
    Could you look into deferring a year on the basis of lack of funds? Don't know if medicine courses would accept this but may be worth a shot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey no they will not accept deferred entry. Thanks for your advice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freyr)
    The ultimate question is whether you want to be a doctor.
    After I graduated from my first degree, I would start a job and then quit shortly afer because I couldn't stand them. Certainly I was capable of doing the jobs, and still kept getting job offers when I appled, but i knew I wasn't happy.

In the end I knew I wanted to go for medicine, so that was it. While I get get into a graduate entry course, which meant I could actually afford it, I would have still made it work if i only got offers from year year programmes (begging family members!)

Thanks I see what you mean. I have had two jobs before this one which I knew weren't for me but in this job it's the first time I have felt happy. I guess it's that thing where I could possibly be happier being a doctor. I think it's different if I was my 18 year old self there would not be as many issues and questions but now I feel I have to think about so many things before I can commit myself maybe it's just a feeling of being a bit scared about everything I don't know😧😞

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any more advice please?

ReputationRep:
    sorry, but noone can really help you... Its something that you have to decide forself.
    Medicine is not an easy road. You'll have 4/5 years at med school with no play, followed by a vast nunber of years of training, constantly studying for exams.

But while ts difficult, its also very rewarding.

If you are happy where you are now, and want to avoid any hardships, the easy route is to stay put. If you absolutely know medicine is for you, then you know what you have to do!
    • Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I think that the question I would probably be asking myself if I when you look into the future do you think that you you could regret the decision not to? Could you be happy working in the area that you are working in at the moment in the long term? Medicine is a good job but it isn't the be all and end all. If you think you could be equally happy doing something else then if it were me I would seriously consider doing that instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I think that the question I would probably be asking myself if I when you look into the future do you think that you you could regret the decision not to? Could you be happy working in the area that you are working in at the moment in the long term? Medicine is a good job but it isn't the be all and end all. If you think you could be equally happy doing something else then if it were me I would seriously consider doing that instead.
    Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    When I was a first year at uni I had reservations about applying for Medicine based on my future age upon graduation (26). My tutor had a simple answer: When you're 70 and retired those two years will seem like nothing but could have meant everything [regarding me being two years older than all my peers with a BSc and MBBS upon graduation].

Those words still ring true to me as I'm about to start my 5 year UG MBBS. But the truth is I think about it all the time. We're at least 3 years older than some of our peers, while our friends are out working and some even settling down. Funnily enough though I was talking to a friend of my dad's earlier today on the subject, as a man who left school at 18 and got married he told me if he could go back he would study and get a better job and anyone else his age he talks to would do the same. Don't be put off Medicine just because you'll be older or because of the financial commitment. Think of it as an investment. It's 5 years of pain for an almost guaranteed job (might be subject to change..) and a career you've clearly thought about and are interested in.

Personally I hit the moment where I realised I definitely wanted to be a doctor during a legal internship. I felt so bored and like my work was achieving nothing, that I'd rather take a paycut and enjoy something I'll be doing for the next 40 years than slaving away in a job which I'd never enjoy. Finally most people offered a place are chosen because they've demonstrated to admissions they can pass the course. Being in academia and working at a level higher than UG I'm sure you'd excel.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.