Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I called in sick to McDonalds and my manager said ''You have to come in''. I have only worked 5 shifts so far and in my induction when I went through the terms and contract etc, it said I shouldn't go in to work if I am ill.
    I'm not going to turn up to work, should they be allowed to do this?

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you lack credibility because you haven't been working there very long. How sick are you?

ReputationRep:
    I learnt a neat trick from my friend who worked in a restaurant. If you are ill (whatever type of illness it is) always say it's a stomach bug with diarrhea. Because you are literally not allowed to work with food with that kind of illness. If it's a cold, headache or something they will say come in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcdonaldsman)
    I called in sick to McDonalds and my manager said ''You have to come in''. I have only worked 5 shifts so far and in my induction when I went through the terms and contract etc, it said I shouldn't go in to work if I am ill.
    I'm not going to turn up to work, should they be allowed to do this?
    How long before your shift did you phone in?
    Mcdonalds have a policy where you have to phone in at least 2 hours before your shift (or the night before if you are due to start early- e.g. 6am). Obviously there are exceptions to this- such as an emergency or something where you cant give that much notice.
    Obviously- like the other poster said, you will lack credibility slightly, in that you have only done a few shifts so far.
    But they can tell you to still come in when you phone in sick (depending on what you say is up with you). There have been several occasions at my store where people have been told to still come in, especially if several people have phoned in sick and we are short. Then depending on how busy it gets/ how many staff there are in they will try and send you home early.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.