Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How is your relationship with them? What do your parents do for a living? Are you the youngest, middle child or the oldest sibling?

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    My relationship with my mum is strong, my dad not so much (they divorced because my dad developed paranoia, mainly directed towards my mum). My mum works in the pharmacy department of the local hospital, my dad can't work any more because of his mental illness. I live with my mum, and am an only child

ReputationRep:
    My relationship with my parents is a difficult one, filled with a lot of ups and downs - the downs being more often than not. They can switch from extremely aggressive to nice and caring, but all the same I'm excited to move out so it won't be a rollercoaster of stress anymore. My mum is an administrator and my dad's an engineer. I have an older sister, so I'm the youngest, and we are incredibly close. She doesn't live at home anymore, but she's at University and so often comes home - I know she doesn't enjoy it, but she generally comes home to visit me.

(Original post by Leviathan1741)
    My relationship with my mum is strong, my dad not so much (they divorced because my dad developed paranoia, mainly directed towards my mum). My mum works in the pharmacy department of the local hospital, my dad can't work any more because of his mental illness. I live with my mum, and am an only child
    Wow, that's something else. Also I couldn't imagine being the only child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColossalAtom)
    Wow, that's something else. Also I couldn't imagine being the only child.
    Yeah, it's one of those things you don't really think about until it happens to you! I like being the only child
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I m the eldest, but my only sibling is 14 years younger (half sibling) so I was an only child for a long while. It depends what your definition of close is really, mum and I have always got along brilliantly but it took me years after dad dying to be able to talk to her about how i was feeling (if i was upset) again and haven't ever really gotten fully emotionally close again ( i m very protective of her really) . My step dad and I do get along but he's not a father figure for me (my choice there). Mum's teaches maths part time and works in admin part time and my step dad is a chef, my dad was a butcher before he passed away.

I forgot to talk about myself.

My parents sort of treat me like an adult and a child at the same time (if that makes sense). Mum is a bit overprotective, like even if I was thirty years old, I'd still seem like I'm in primary school to her. She's a nurse in pediatric intensive care. Dad treats me like I'm a professional, like I'm a very valuable payload. He's a chemical engineer. I'm the oldest sibling, with only a little sister. I'm okay with her since she keeps to herself most of time, even though I'm supposed to babysit her until one of the parents get home. She will be starting year 8 and reads more books than me surprisingly.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I am an only child but I do have some half brothers and sisters from my dad but I don't have anything to do with them nor do I wish to. I don't see them or my dad as family. I was raised by my grandparents and mum. My mum was quite severely mentally ill when I was a child so I was raised a lot by my grandparents and didn't have much of a connection to my mum while growing up. She told men I was her sister and that she didn't have a kid and I told people she was my sister and my gran and papa were my parents. I called my mum by her first name up until I was in my 20s. We didn't get on. We would physically fight, argue, she would go out all the time, sleep around, bring me down and all that crap.

I didn't really take notice of it as a kid as I had my gran and papa and they were fantastic but as my mum started to recover and we moved into our own house 5 mins away from my gran and papa, I started to rebel against my mum. I had zero respect for her and she had none for me and we had no relationship. I moved out at 18 and she tried to get in the way of me and my bf back then (my current partner). She was ill again and she accused me of being on drugs, accused him of hitting me etc which were all untrue and she didn't have a shred of evidence for any of her claims and I gave up on her and cut her out my life completely for about 3 years.

3 years ago, we made up. She was now with my stepdad and she had calmed down a lot. She got the proper help she needed and was truly regretful for her behaviour in the past and since we made up, we haven't argued once and we have heart to hearts all the time and I call her mum now and I feel like she is my actual mum, not my sister. She takes me to all my hospital and doc appointments, she helped me with my flat, her and my partner get on like a house on fire now and things are really good. I didn't believe that people could change but she proved me wrong and I am grateful for the second chance we got She was ill, that wasn't to blame for everything, part of her trouble was her own personality and traits but I have been where she is and I know how much it can screw with you so I can't imagine having to go through all that while having a child to raise. She was a nurse before she had me and was a funeral director a few years ago but is now a full time carer to my stepdad.

As for my dad, he left my mum when I was 3 months to the woman he was cheating on her with. He was mentally and physically abusive to my mum and he was offered supervised visitation through the courts to see me but he refused. He went onto have about 6 or 7 other kids and he hasn't cared for any of them. As far as I know, I'm the oldest but wouldn't be surprised if there were more. I saw him on a train 5 years ago. I recognised him from a pic my aunt showed me but I don't think he recognised me.

ReputationRep:
    Middle child. good relationship with mum, crap relationship with dad. close to my younger bro, tolerate my older bro but somedays i feel tempted to bash his skull in

Haven't seen my mother in 6 years, my relationship is as minimal as it comes when it comes to my father since he likes making me feel bad for being at home and has on multiple occasions told me that I am 'not a member of this family' and that 'your other relatives all think you're awful too'. A huge part of why I want to go to uni is just so I don't have to be in that house. Which is sad. I see him as emotionally manipulative with a lot of resentment towards my mother being reflected through me since I'm the only daughter.

I'm a middle child in this household.

Relationship with my siblings tends to be more distant than what a lot of other people have since the oldest ones have left home but to be honest I don't know if that's just our age and maybe in the future it will change.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really close with my mum and stepdad. They are both farmers. I'm really close to my younger brother (we are 7 years apart). I used to be close with my older sister (2 years older) but she moved out and we don't talk often so it nutural. Meanwhile my younger sister (5 years younger) bullies me and makes me feel useless so there needs work.

ReputationRep:
    I dislike my mother and I am on decent terms with my father. One works in IT and the other is accountant.

ReputationRep:
    My mum is like my big sister(i was born the day after her) rather than a mum and my relationship with my dad is okay.

I have two sisters.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by German123)
    My mum is like my big sister(i was born the day after her) rather than a mum and my relationship with my dad is okay.

I have two sisters.
    Funny you should say that as me and my mum are more like sisters and I was born the day before her birthday instead of the day after :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Funny you should say that as me and my mum are more like sisters and I was born the day before her birthday instead of the day after :teehee:
    Wow.

I pretty much thought that I was the unusual one.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.